Wiki Posts
Search

Delta to start ATL-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Delta to start ATL-PVG

Just got an email from Delta letting me know that they're resuming non-stop flights to Shanghai starting July 20, 2018. I haven't seen this announced anywhere online, their site or otherwise. Thought it was pretty cool, especially with MU buying a stake in AF/KL; bringing all the airlines closer.
Attached Images   
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: DL
http://delta-air-lines-skymiles/1854...o-atl-pvg.html
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Thanks! Completely spaced out on that.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
July 20th is an odd time to start a new route.

I guess we can assume it will be a 777.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
July 20th is an odd time to start a new route.

I guess we can assume it will be a 777.
Yes, since Delta has made a foolish decision to forgo an order of smaller widebodies the 777 is the smallest aircraft capable of the mission. If it lasts, great but if not we will never know if it might have been successful with a more appropriate aircraft.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Didn't they tried ATL-PVG over a decades ago? I remember this route wasn't too good at all. Due to low demands.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by N830MH
Didn't they tried ATL-PVG over a decades ago? I remember this route wasn't too good at all. Due to low demands.
A decade is a long time in China.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Taking a stab at the unusual start date, my guess is that they need the 777-200LRs from somewhere, i.e. DTW-PVG, and the A350-900s to free up those aircraft don't arrive until towards the beginning of the summer.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater
Taking a stab at the unusual start date, my guess is that they need the 777-200LRs from somewhere, i.e. DTW-PVG, and the A350-900s to free up those aircraft don't arrive until towards the beginning of the summer.
ATL-ICN will be going 359 to free up the LR for PVG.
DTW-PVG is also staying on the LR. DTW-PEK/NRT and ICN will be going 359

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, since Delta has made a foolish decision to forgo an order of smaller widebodies the 777 is the smallest aircraft capable of the mission. If it lasts, great but if not we will never know if it might have been successful with a more appropriate aircraft.
What airplane are you talking about exactly?
at 6700nm that is sending a weight limited 788. A 789 is basically the same size as the 77L, and the LR will have much better performance than both planes.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The 777 will start getting mod next year i believe. Thus 777 vs A359 really wont matter.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 12:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The 777 will start getting mod next year i believe. Thus 777 vs A359 really wont matter.
It's gonna be a while. The first one starts late next year. Likely 2020 before the 777 fleet is fully updated
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kjnangre
It's gonna be a while. The first one starts late next year. Likely 2020 before the 777 fleet is fully updated
OT, but I wonder how DL is going to handle Premium Economy tickets during the transition period. Sometimes aircraft swaps are necessary and it will be difficult to schedule efficiently a special subfleet of increasing size with different cabins and therefore different fare classes.
tentseller likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OT, but I wonder how DL is going to handle Premium Economy tickets during the transition period. Sometimes aircraft swaps are necessary and it will be difficult to schedule efficiently a special subfleet of increasing size with different cabins and therefore different fare classes.
Since this is China related:

May you live in interesting time!
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:29 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Link not working for me...

I got the email last night too. Tried to find out how long flight will be - couldn't find it on my dummy booking (which seems odd because I normally can?) Google tells me maybe 18 hours? It's been 2 yrs since I've done DTW-PVG but recall ~14 hours? Does that seem about right? I don't have a China project at the moment but if I do again - ATL-PVG could be very good for me
Old Sep 7, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
Link not working for me...

I got the email last night too. Tried to find out how long flight will be - couldn't find it on my dummy booking (which seems odd because I normally can?) Google tells me maybe 18 hours? It's been 2 yrs since I've done DTW-PVG but recall ~14 hours? Does that seem about right? I don't have a China project at the moment but if I do again - ATL-PVG could be very good for me
Goodbye NRT-PVG, hello ATL-PVG

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.