Old Sep 5, 2017, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyerWx
Hurricane Irma Travel Advisories for Delta:

Delta Travel Advisory Hurricane Irma

Updated as of 28 Sep 2017, 12:45pm EDT:

Affected Cities & Dates

Key West, FL (EYW)

Travel Dates: September 20- October 12, 2017 (New travel must originate on or before October 15, 2017)
---

Turks and Caicos, TC (PLS)

Travel Dates: September 5- October 31, 2017 (New travel must originate on or before October 31, 2018 )
---

San Juan, PR (SJU)
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
St. Maarten, SX (SXM)

Travel Dates: September 5, 2017 - April 2, 2018 (New travel must originate on or before September 27, 2018 )
---

Albany, GA (ABY)
Atlanta, GA (ATL)
Augusta, GA (AGS)
Birmingham, AL (BHM)
Brunswick, GA (BQK)
Charleston, SC (CHS)
Columbus, GA (CSG)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Dothan, AL (DHN)
Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Fort Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Freeport, BS (FPO)
Gainesville, FL (GNV)
Georgetown, BS (GGT)
Havana, CU (HAV)
Huntsville, AL (HSV)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Marsh Harbour, BS (MHH)
Melbourne, FL (MLB)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Mobile, AL (MOB)
Montgomery, AL (MGM)
Nassau, BS (NAS)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Panama City, FL (ECP)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Savannah, GA (SAV)
Santiago, DO (STI)
St. Croix, VI (STX)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa/St. Pete/Clearwater, FL (TPA)
Valdosta, GA (VLD)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

Travel Dates: September 6-20, 2017 (rebooked travel must begin by September 30th)
---

TEMPORARY BAGGAGE AND PET IN CABIN FEE WAIVER
Delta has put a temporary policy in place to waive all baggage and pet-in-cabin fees for customers traveling to or from the following cities:
Brunswick, GA (BQK)
Charleston, SC (CHS)
Daytona Beach, FL (DAB)
Destin-Ft Walton Beach, FL (VPS)
Fort Lauderdale, FL (FLL)
Fort Myers, FL (RSW)
Freeport, BS (FPO)
Gainesville, FL (GNV)
Georgetown, BS (GGT)
Havana, CU (HAV)
Jacksonville, FL (JAX)
Key West, FL (EYW)
Marsh Harbour, BS (MHH)
Melbourne, FL (MLB)
Miami, FL (MIA)
Nassau, BS (NAS)
Orlando, FL (MCO)
Panama City, FL (ECP)
Pensacola, FL (PNS)
Punta Cana, DO (PUJ)
San Juan, PR (SJU)
Santiago, DO (STI)
Sarasota/Bradenton, FL (SRQ)
Savannah, GA (SAV)
St. Croix, VI (STX)
St. Maarten, SX (SXM)
St. Thomas, VI (STT)
Tallahassee, FL (TLH)
Tampa, FL (TPA)
Turk Caicos ISLS, TC (PLS)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

When you check in at the airport, Delta will waive all baggage fees and pet-in-cabin fees for customers traveling to or from the above cities now through September 15, 2017. There will be limitations to the amount of baggage that an aircraft can carry, and some or all of your luggage may not be able to be accommodated on your flight. In that event, please ask the Airport Customer Service representative if baggage that cannot be placed on your flight can be accommodated on a later flight. Pets traveling in the cabin must be properly contained in accordance with carry on policy.
Print Wikipost

Hurricane Irma Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Platinum, Marriott Gold
Im trying to fly MIA-DFW on Thursday early morning (545am departure) - does anybody have any insides if MIA would be open still (and AA operating this flight?)

tried to change the MIA-DFW leg to depart tomorrow (Wednesday) and there wasn't a seat to be had....

edit: just noticed that this ended up in the Delta forum...Ill post again in the AA forum...however if anybody has info regarding MIA airport closure, Id appreciate it

Last edited by flsusi; Sep 5, 2017 at 7:49 pm Reason: wrong forum
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by flsusi
Im trying to fly MIA-DFW on Thursday early morning (545am departure) - does anybody have any insides if MIA would be open still (and AA operating this flight?)

tried to change the MIA-DFW leg to depart tomorrow (Wednesday) and there wasn't a seat to be had....

edit: just noticed that this ended up in the Delta forum...Ill post again in the AA forum...however if anybody has info regarding MIA airport closure, Id appreciate it
I'm no MIA expert, but unless Irma accelerates at a significant/unprecedented rate, it will barely be at Hispaniola by Thursday, in which case you should be okay.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
I saw this on Twitter. I get that DL is a business etc. But this is pretty egregious.

Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:40 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BamaGirl
I saw this on Twitter. I get that DL is a business etc. But this is pretty egregious.

That's not a Delta booking site. For whatever reason, looks like the OTA in question has cached inventory.

It's possible Delta has restricted inventory significantly as a result of the waiver thus driving the price up.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by TTT
That's not a Delta booking site. For whatever reason, looks like the OTA in question has cached inventory.

It's possible Delta has restricted inventory significantly as a result of the waiver thus driving the price up.
Good catch. I should've recognized that.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
Delta seems to be engaging in some price gouging for people trying to get flights out of South Florida in the next day or two. Flights to NYC nearly tripled in price from FLL round trip, but the one way price is 99% of the round trip fare.
I don't know that they are gouging, there was just a serious run on tickets this morning to the point that $440 round trips (around 8am) turned into completely sold out flights. It took my hours of refreshing just to find a lone one way ticket to get my mother out.

Airlines certainly need to be careful that their normal inventory/pricing control systems don't result in the appearance of gouging in a ticket run scenario like this, but I don't believe for a second there is any malice or extra profit-seeking from DL.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by TTT

I definitely had that probably would Google Flights earlier today. Inventory was going/changing so rapidly that they just couldn't keep in sync with Delta.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:17 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ty97
I don't know that they are gouging, there was just a serious run on tickets this morning to the point that $440 round trips (around 8am) turned into completely sold out flights. It took my hours of refreshing just to find a lone one way ticket to get my mother out.

Airlines certainly need to be careful that their normal inventory/pricing control systems don't result in the appearance of gouging in a ticket run scenario like this, but I don't believe for a second there is any malice or extra profit-seeking from DL.
I would consider a flight listed on DL's website at just over $300 pricing out at $1400 one button click later to be gouging. Or a flight that is rarely more than $300 RT all of a sudden pricing out as $697 one way outbound but $700 total as a round trip.

Going all the way through the booking process for a flight, clicking complete purchase and getting a message that says "Uh-oh! We're sorry, but the fare for the flights you selected is no longer available. Please search again to view and select alternate flights. #100503R " is price gouging.

Perhaps it is the system having a panic attack with so many reservations but it is still absurd. Just like not being able to change my flight here to begin with because it wasn't on the waiver list, only for it to be added to the waiver list including today's date, when I was already in the air.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol

Going all the way through the booking process for a flight, clicking complete purchase and getting a message that says "Uh-oh! We're sorry, but the fare for the flights you selected is no longer available. Please search again to view and select alternate flights. #100503R " is price gouging.
I spent hours today trying to get my mother a ticket, any ticket, out of RSW so I understand the frustration. My opinion remains that DL isn't actively trying to gouge anything, there's just been such a run on flights that even in the short time of a few clicks through, inventory changes/disappears because of others booking flights (it took me multiple tries to successfully get a flight for my mother today).

But certainly, DL (and other airlines) need to be cautious here. The inventory/pricing systems aren't really designed for a run on tickets like this, and it can certainly give the appearance of gouging, even though I don't believe that's the intention.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was interesting to watch the feeding frenzy on "evacuation" flights out of So. Florida today. Very different from a bad snowstorm, when no one flees (they just try to get out before the storm). I'm not convinced the airlines will necessarily lose a ton of money from this storm, as it's generating certain profits, and only uncertain future losses. I'd also note this upcoming week is, normally, one of the slowest travel weeks of the year in Florida.

I know somebody was concerned about PBI, but when I look at the models, I think that may be a fairly safe place in Florida next weekend. Unless the track changes (and we'll know a lot more in 24 hours) it looks to me like the worst place to be in this storm is the Keys and Naples.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ty97
I spent hours today trying to get my mother a ticket, any ticket, out of RSW so I understand the frustration. My opinion remains that DL isn't actively trying to gouge anything, there's just been such a run on flights that even in the short time of a few clicks through, inventory changes/disappears because of others booking flights (it took me multiple tries to successfully get a flight for my mother today).

But certainly, DL (and other airlines) need to be cautious here. The inventory/pricing systems aren't really designed for a run on tickets like this, and it can certainly give the appearance of gouging, even though I don't believe that's the intention.
Intentional or not doesn't change what it is. The price of a ticket is confirmed multiple times during the booking process, to complete that process within a matter of 10 seconds, click the purchase button and get that message is suspicious at best. Of course all the tickets departing on Saturday when they know damn well no flights will be leaving are normal priced.

That certain flights are only available when booked going elsewhere is also suspicious. A direct flight FLL-ATL shows as unavailable, a reservation from FLL to LNK through ATL was bookable (and I did it just to have something booked).
Old Sep 6, 2017, 1:48 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I'm flying out of MCO on Friday and my flight isn't even books on delta.com. I don't have to travel so I'm looking forward to some really good offers at the gate.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by iahphx
It was interesting to watch the feeding frenzy on "evacuation" flights out of So. Florida today. Very different from a bad snowstorm, when no one flees (they just try to get out before the storm). I'm not convinced the airlines will necessarily lose a ton of money from this storm, as it's generating certain profits, and only uncertain future losses. I'd also note this upcoming week is, normally, one of the slowest travel weeks of the year in Florida.

I know somebody was concerned about PBI, but when I look at the models, I think that may be a fairly safe place in Florida next weekend. Unless the track changes (and we'll know a lot more in 24 hours) it looks to me like the worst place to be in this storm is the Keys and Naples.
The cone has shifted east and PBI is squarely in the path. Current center of the cone has the eye over Lake Okeechobee on Monday at 2:00am. The GFS and Euro models have the storm staying east of FL. Hopefully that will stay the course and it will continue heading east.

Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by apodo77
The cone has shifted east and PBI is squarely in the path. Current center of the cone has the eye over Lake Okeechobee on Monday at 2:00am. The GFS and Euro models have the storm staying east of FL. Hopefully that will stay the course and it will continue heading east.
Yup, and the storm has slowed down to a possible Monday morning strike -- meaning more path uncertainty. As NHC says, "users are reminded to not focus on the exact forecast track,
especially at the longer ranges, since the average NHC track errors
are about 175 and 225 statute miles at days 4 and 5, respectively."

So with the storm now forecast to Lake Okeechobee, basically any place in Florida could get hit -- or spared.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
I rebooked my DL flight to Florida from tomorrow to next Thursday. I have to be down there for a few days and just pushed everything back one week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.