Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Atlanta Hartsfield questions -- gate location and conection question

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Atlanta Hartsfield questions -- gate location and conection question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: delta
Post Atlanta Hartsfield questions -- gate location and conection question

I am traveling MSN to ATL to ELP. I will have a 40 minute connection. My questions:

1. Does anyone know what gates/concourses flights from Madison, WI (MSN) to ATL generally arrive, or where flights from ATL to El Paso generally depart from?
2. Is there a tool anywhere that provides gate information such as what I'm asking in my first question? I see the ATL airport maps, but having several concourses say Delta arrivals isn't much help.

Thank you.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by shrinkydink
1. Does anyone know what gates/concourses flights from Madison, WI (MSN) to ATL generally arrive, or where flights from ATL to El Paso generally depart from?
2. Is there a tool anywhere that provides gate information such as what I'm asking in my first question?
All of this information is readily found at delta.com
Old Aug 31, 2017, 9:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Link to ATL flights departures and arrivals information

Link to ATL maps

Link to Delta flight and flight status tool
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Gates change and there are no guarantees, but you can get a general idea of the likely gates by checking flight status on the DL website for several days in advance of your trip. Close to or after the flight times gate assignments are indicated. You can also check this on external websites such as flightaware.com.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Aug 31, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Welcome to Flyertalk @shrinkydink.

Please follow the redirect to the DL forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by shrinkydink
I am traveling MSN to ATL to ELP. I will have a 40 minute connection. My questions:

2. Is there a tool anywhere that provides gate information such as what I'm asking in my first question? I see the ATL airport maps, but having several concourses say Delta arrivals isn't much help.

Thank you.
40 minutes is plenty of time for typical travelers regardless of where your MSN flight arrives or where your ELP flight departs.

You really can't tell in advance where you'll be with any degree of certainty. You can look at flights a few days before but that's only going to give you an idea of what's likely. The best thing to do is get the app. When you land at ATL you can peek at it and before you even get to the gate you'll see the real gate info for both flights (plus you'll get push notifications if your gate assignment changes).

Are you going to need assistance to get from gate to gate? Will you have anything other than normal carry-on luggage?
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:28 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Gates change and there are no guarantees, but you can get a general idea of the likely gates by checking flight status on the DL website for several days in advance of your trip. Close to or after the flight times gate assignments are indicated. You can also check this on external websites such as flightaware.com.
I am a HUGE fan of Flightaware. many times it updates new gates before the Delta app or even the gate house screen. And it has a really cool "where's my plane now" feature so you can see if your incoming plane is late or not. I use this to tell when to leave the skyclub and head to the gate.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Typically DL schedules ATL flights based on this. (Not Always the case!)
T - O&D destinations such as DFW/DCA/LGA and some other overflow ops.
A - 757s/737s/320s/some MDs
B - 737s/320s/MDs
C - 717/ CRJs
D - CRJs/overflow DL ops typically use the low D Gates
E/F - INTL/ Overflow from other DL ops.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
I am a HUGE fan of Flightaware. many times it updates new gates before the Delta app or even the gate house screen. And it has a really cool "where's my plane now" feature so you can see if your incoming plane is late or not. I use this to tell when to leave the skyclub and head to the gate.
All, including inbound plane for your flight can be found on DL app or delta.com. I find the app updates quicker then gate monitors.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If Delta is telling you 'South Terminal', it's how the system says that a gate is currently not assigned. (It refers to the location of ATL landside check-in areas and can effectively be ignored by connecting passengers)

You also don't have to worry about Concourses E or F- they're for international flights and the occasional domestic widebody plane.

While ATL is probably the best laid out and easiest to navigate of the mega-sized airports, 40 minutes is a connection where you want to walk briskly to your next gate and only stop for restrooms and/or snacks after finding your next gate and seeing where they are in the boarding process.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:13 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by beachmouse
You also don't have to worry about Concourses E or F- they're for international flights and the occasional domestic widebody plane.
This is not really true. International traffic is the primary purpose for E and F, but there are certainly narrowbody domestic departures from both of these concourses every day.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by beachmouse
While ATL is probably the best laid out and easiest to navigate of the mega-sized airports, 40 minutes is a connection where you want to walk briskly to your next gate and only stop for restrooms and/or snacks after finding your next gate and seeing where they are in the boarding process.
Agreed that ATL is laid out well. Also, when you are connecting Terminal will not matter, only Concourse.

The Concourses are arranged almost alphabetically, with T (for Terminal) being first. They concourse go T-A-B-C-D-E-F. The Gates within each of the Concourses T-A-B-C-D are each straight lines, connected in the middle by a train. Each has numbered gates. If you land in the same Concourse from which you are connecting, just walk to your gate. If you need to change Concourses, go to the middle of your landing Concourse, go down the escalator to the train or walkway and ride/walk to the next Concourse. Make sure you go down the escalator that heads to your next Concourse. Do not take the elevator, as there is usually a line and it will slow you down.

When the train/walkway gets to your new Concourse, take the escalator up, turn in the correct direction and walk to your new Gate. Again the numbers are consecutive and the walk is straight.

If you are running late, jump on one of the electric carts, which run up and down each Concourse. These are not just for invalids and can get you to the farther gates faster than walking. You can only take an electric cart within each Concourse. You may need to take one in the landing Concourse to the middle, hop off, take the escalator and train and escalator and hop on a new electric cart in the new gate.

In the connection thread, you can find a post where I had to go from a far E Gate to a far A or B gate and it took 12 minutes total, IIRC. As the poster suggests, you probably don't have to worry about Concourses E or F with flights to/from Madison and El Paso, but if you do, just look up at the signs. Atlanta has great signage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.