FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Extremely cold 737-900 cabin | Known issue? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1861528-extremely-cold-737-900-cabin-known-issue.html)

Bear4Asian Aug 17, 2017 10:36 am

Extremely cold 737-900 cabin | Known issue?

A week ago I flew on a 737-900 (or 800) from SEA to MSP sitting in 12C and within 20 minutes of takeoff was so cold I was shivering. Within 20 more minutes my teeth were chattering. Cold air was blowing right down on me.

About 40 minutes in I asked a FA for a blanket. Reply: "We don't have blankets. This area is always cold while front a rear of plane are very hot" Promised to ask the captain to turn up heat.

I went to the back of the plane and it was warmer, but not hot, and stopped shivering after 10-15 minutes. I returned to my seat and within 10 minutes was shivering.

Pleaded with the flight attendant for a blanket and he "found one"'in First class and brought it to me.

Other passengers in row 12 and row 13 started complaining about the cold and a few more blankerpts were found. FA promised to ask the heat to be turned up

I spent the remaining 1 1/2 hour of the flight covered with the blanket but never warmed up. Around 20 minutes before we landed the stream of cold air turned warm for just a few minutes then returned to cold.

As we landed the FA told us that he had asked the captain "7-8 times" to turn up the temp.

Questions: Is this cold area a known issue with this plane? What is the best way to report it so there is a solution sought?

This truly was the most difficult, uncomfortable flight I've ever taken.

Night Flyer Aug 17, 2017 11:25 am

I've always had exactly the opposite experience on the 737-9: uncomfortably warm and stuffy in the C+ area and much cooler towards the back of the plane.

But I guess it's fair to say that the A/C system on this plane isn't as advanced as the avionics.

JSprague24 Aug 17, 2017 11:31 am

I was on a 739 waiting to leave DAB last month and it seemed like the AC was woefully inadequate while we were sitting on the ramp.

The gaspers are next to useless, even in flight.

kochleffel Aug 17, 2017 11:48 am

I flew recently in Y in a 739 but the seat was so uncomfortable that I might not have noticed the temperature anyway. I was near the middle of the plane.

safigan Aug 17, 2017 11:58 am

I usually make sure to bring a jacket or sweater. It's bitterly cold in the window seat next to an emergency exit, so I make sure to avoid. Although I have no evidence to support my claim, I've always felt that the FAs liked to keep it colder because they're more active than the passengers.

apodo77 Aug 17, 2017 12:01 pm

Bitterly cold?
Get us a tad bit of hyperbole. :D

Navig8R Aug 17, 2017 12:25 pm

There are numerous reasons why parts of the plane are colder than others, most of which aren't related to any issue with the aircraft, per se.

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian (Post 28702452)
Questions: Is this cold area a known issue with this plane? What is the best way to report it so there is a solution sought?

My wife naturally runs cold, so she always bring a jacket or something to cover herself with when traveling (or going to a movie, dinner, etc). Not much else you can do.

StayingHomeIsBetter Aug 17, 2017 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 28702843)
Bitterly cold?
Get us a tad bit of hyperbole. :D

If I were the OP, I'd be bitter. ;)

locked Aug 17, 2017 1:30 pm

I had my coldest flight in my delta history last week.... it was only from LAX to SF but the entire plane was an igloo.... temps have never been consistent for me flight to flight.... even on the same metal.

LarryJ Aug 17, 2017 1:39 pm

The 737-800/900 has three temperature zones. The flight deck, the front half of the passenger cabin, and the aft half of the passenger cabin.

The biggest problem with the system is that the temperature controls are all in the cockpit which relies on the F/As forwarding requests to the pilots for adjustments.

Ber2dca Aug 17, 2017 3:40 pm

I don't dispute the description of the OP, but the problem is likely that while you're freezing there's another person somewhere in the plane thinking it's too warm. Uneven temperatures across planes are a fact of life. Even in the middle of summer - be prepared for a potentially cold plane by having a jacket or sweater with you.

That's generally a good idea also because of the possibility of diversions. If you fly from 80 degree Milan to 90 degree New York you may think you won't need a jacket, but if there's a medical emergency or other problem you may end up diverting to Shannon, Ireland (or somewhere in the Canadian Maritimes) and might be stuck there for a bit in 60 degree rainy weather.

jdrtravel Aug 17, 2017 4:37 pm

I've on a couple of occasions experienced extreme cold on a plane and it is no fun. I always now travel with a jacket or travel blanket if I am going to be in coach. The new F blankets are really nice if you are seated in F.

Bear4Asian Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Ber2dca (Post 28703768)
I don't dispute the description of the OP, but the problem is likely that while you're freezing there's another person somewhere in the plane thinking it's too warm. Uneven temperatures across planes are a fact of life. Even in the middle of summer - be prepared for a potentially cold plane by having a jacket or sweater with you.

That's generally a good idea also because of the possibility of diversions. If you fly from 80 degree Milan to 90 degree New York you may think you won't need a jacket, but if there's a medical emergency or other problem you may end up diverting to Shannon, Ireland (or somewhere in the Canadian Maritimes) and might be stuck there for a bit in 60 degree rainy weather.

I agree with you and I usually do wear layers, but this time I didn't have a separate sweater. But in my decades of flying around the U.S. and now multiple trips a year TPAC, I've never experienced this type of cold. It was like they had the thermostat set at 50° with high fan setting. And it never let up. BRRRRRRR!

DL-Don Aug 17, 2017 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bear4Asian (Post 28703976)
It was like they had the thermostat set at 50° with high fan setting. And it never let up. BRRRRRRR!

I'll take that any day to the saunas I usually encounter on planes!!

matthew64832 Aug 17, 2017 7:37 pm

I've had the exact same issue on a 767 (I was seated on the window). Toes were going numb, it was SO cold. I eventually had to change seats, luckily there was a seat open in the middle section.