Wiki Posts
Search

Worried about Connection in DTW

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VIPorter First, AC E50, Accor Platinum, SPG Ambassador
Worried about Connection in DTW

I'm flying YYZ-DTW-PEK, on DL 4777 (dep. 10.15, arr. 11.27) connecting to DL 189 (dep. 13.43). I have about an hour and fifteen minutes to make my connection, but my US-bound flights from YYZ are frequently delayed.

I'm also checking two bags – I know they're checked through straight to PEK, but I'm afraid that if the connex is tight, I'll make my plane without my luggage.

Is this a reasonable buffer time, or should I be concerned? What are DL's policies on protection/accommodation if I miss DL 189 – will they cover hotel overnight? Should I pre-emptively book delay insurance for this trip?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:43 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Are you already ticketed?

Personally I wouldn't sweat a 75 minute connection at DTW, though if there is a critical need to make that flight you might want to take an earlier YYZ-DTW flight.

If you miss the DTW-PEK direct, you may be able to reroute through PVG and then connect to PEK on China Eastern.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue is not whether 1:15 is doable, it is. The issue is that YYZ-DTW is often delayed. Given that the consequences of misconnecting are significant (lousy rerouting and likely in what's left over for seats), I would take an earlier YYZ departure unless there is something which stops you from leaving earlier.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Globalist, Accor Diamond, MAR&HLT Gold, Wyndham Plat, Hertz Presidents Circle
I flew YYZ-DTW (d. 950 a. 1103) and connected to DTW-NRT (d.12:25) with lots of time to spare. The YYZ-DTW CRJ flew JFK-YYZ on the earlier leg if that helps. You will probably be able to route through another city in case of IRROPS.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by 123Go
I flew YYZ-DTW (d. 950 a. 1103) and connected to DTW-NRT (d.12:25) with lots of time to spare. The YYZ-DTW CRJ flew JFK-YYZ on the earlier leg if that helps. You will probably be able to route through another city in case of IRROPS.
I flew the same connection a few weeks ago -- YYZ-DTW-NRT. The YYZ-DTW flight number was 4062 for many weeks -- checking flightaware.com back to early July, there was 1 day when it arrived at 125 pm, but mostly by 11 am, occasionally as late as 1130 pm.
DL will protect you somehow.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by latenightlaundry
I'm flying YYZ-DTW-PEK, on DL 4777 (dep. 10.15, arr. 11.27) connecting to DL 189 (dep. 13.43). I have about an hour and fifteen minutes to make my connection, but my US-bound flights from YYZ are frequently delayed.

I'm also checking two bags – I know they're checked through straight to PEK, but I'm afraid that if the connex is tight, I'll make my plane without my luggage.

Is this a reasonable buffer time, or should I be concerned? What are DL's policies on protection/accommodation if I miss DL 189 – will they cover hotel overnight? Should I pre-emptively book delay insurance for this trip?
If you make the flight, your bags will too. Delta is very good about transferring bags. They might even make it before you do.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I have a personal rule for international trips that has served me well. I always book or change to give me at at least 2 shots to make my connection whenever possible. I have never missed an international connection because of this rule
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VIPorter First, AC E50, Accor Platinum, SPG Ambassador
Originally Posted by mot29
I flew the same connection a few weeks ago -- YYZ-DTW-NRT. The YYZ-DTW flight number was 4062 for many weeks -- checking flightaware.com back to early July, there was 1 day when it arrived at 125 pm, but mostly by 11 am, occasionally as late as 1130 pm.
DL will protect you somehow.
Thanks mot29 – that's enormously helpful; I was trying to figure out on time performance of the YYZ-DTW leg, but couldn't find the flight number that DL was currently using.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Relax

I must have logged over 100 YYZ DTW ITNL connections on DL and NW during this millennium. I have not missed one yet even with late DTW arrival or WX IRROPs
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by latenightlaundry
Um, 11:27-13:43 is 2.5 hours, not 1.5 hours. Or is there a typo in the time? I see today's DL189 leaves at 12:43.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by hnewman
I have a personal rule for international trips that has served me well. I always book or change to give me at at least 2 shots to make my connection whenever possible. I have never missed an international connection because of this rule
^
Old Aug 17, 2017, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ashill
Um, 11:27-13:43 is 2.5 hours, not 1.5 hours. Or is there a typo in the time? I see today's DL189 leaves at 12:43.
+ one hour.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Are you flying YYZ-DTW in F? I would also consider doing a Same Day Change to an earlier flight, also get to spend some more time in the DTW SC before that long flight....
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by hi55us
Are you flying YYZ-DTW in F? I would also consider doing a Same Day Change to an earlier flight, also get to spend some more time in the DTW SC before that long flight....
You can't do SDC on an "international" ticket until all "international" segments have been flown.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by tentseller
Relax

I must have logged over 100 YYZ DTW ITNL connections on DL and NW during this millennium. I have not missed one yet even with late DTW arrival or WX IRROPs
This was meant as a response, acknowledgement of hnewman's earlier post -- I have a personal rule for international trips that has served me well. I always book or change to give me at at least 2 shots to make my connection whenever possible. I have never missed an international connection because of this rule

Having just received a weather waiver notice for a JFK connection tomorrow (8/18), I just switched to a slightly earlier connection through ATL. (I really dislike the JFK T4 SC in the afternoon/early evening, too!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.