Community
Wiki Posts
Search

D1 Suites Surcharge

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
I agree with others this seems like an arrogant move from DL. That being said I trust the market to bring these prices back down or else DL will be ceding traffic on some of these routes to competitors that have bigger J cabins they need to fill.

Remember these A350s also have fewer J seats vs. the planes that used to fly these routes so perhaps they think they can get away with sticking this surcharge in while relying primarily on those traveling on OPM to fill the cabin (who therefore could care less about the extra charge).
Many people who travel for business are not allowed to purchase tickets that are significantly more expensive than other tickets available for the same travel, whether it be a different routing (to avoid the A350) or a different carrier. There's also an ethical dimension to this.

Even people subject to the FlyAmerica act are allowed to use foreign carriers as USA legacy codeshares.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by nichojo
Fresh off the press (loving that AusBT got the scoop first), seems that DL is adding a surcharge to A350 D1 bookings in business. God help us all if this is added to SM awards, too.

https://www.ausbt.com.au/delta-s-us-...business-class

From the article,
"Agents have been advised that when they "book the A350-900 with 'Delta One Suite', you will be charged a surcharge" above the ticket's base rate.

Delta One passengers booked under discounted I-class and Z-class fares will be charged US$500 "per direction", with a US$250 tariff on C, D and J ticket codes."
FYI, the travel agent bulletin on the surcharge was issued on 24JUL17, 2nd update issued on 15AUG17. Wondering what took AusBT "so long" for scooping this.

The surcharge also applies on Tokyo and Beijing flights operated by A350.

Last edited by jimyvr; Aug 15, 2017 at 10:33 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Also of minor interest is the 75k mile cap on the tickets... with these prices and surcharges, pax are getting shortchanged out of a significant portion of their RDMs.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:43 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Reviews of the suites should be interesting.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Keith2004
$500 each way for a thin, low door on a slightly wider 767 seat LMFAO, granted I haven't tried it yet, but its not even their best seat IMO...
Originally Posted by Grouchy
Don't understand all the hype about Delta's A350's with their cramped Delta One suites, to be honest they are on my 'avoid flying' list. Space wise it's a downgrade from their 767's.

Look at this photo:

Marketing took a short & slim asian model for a reason but still....the seat width may be fine, however, look at his shoulder/left arm. Even with the suite opened that shell is making the trip miserable/very uncomfortable, especially when having dinner or writing/working (I'm left handed).
Now replace the slim and short asian guy with a tall EU guy that plays rugby. Ooh the joys....
A330's ftw
This is what they are calling a "suite"?

My shoulders are broad enough that I would not be able to sit upright and vertical in that seat. I'd be leaning to the right or twisting my torso for the entire flight.

Just another example that perpetuates the impression that airlines, aircraft manufacturers, and seat manufacturers all share a single, tattered copy of an architectural standards book, printed in 1950, showing body proportions that were typical before vitamins became commercially widespread.

Probably designed by someone working in a Dilbertian cloth-walled cubicle who feels that everyone should experience the misery that he suffers every day.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
This smells like United and American, not DL. They've become arrogant.
A few years of profitability and they start to forget who makes them profitable... and why.

It is more hubris than arrogance.

Originally Posted by CPMaverick
I think the point is the seats offset towards the window probably don't have the same arm space issue. They don't put a door over the window right? But I agree, it appears to be very poor ergonomics for at least half the seats, and possible my (not sure how the middle seats are packaged).
So, the forewarned customer prudently reserves a window seat and gets relocated to an aisle seat due to one of the mystery seat reassignments.

Originally Posted by wco81
Watch for increased advertising by chiropractors in Sky Magazine.
IndyHoosier likes this.

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 17, 2017 at 10:08 am Reason: Consolidation.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I don't care if they want to charge more for their A350s. That's a business decision. But for it to be a "Surcharge" is baloney. Delta wants their prices to look competitive when it won't be at checkout. I hope the US government gets involved and makes them stop that and advertise the rate with the $500 included, because this isn't a case of 'unbundling'. Plus, will the $500 even count towards Skymiles if it's part of "taxes and fees"? And what happens if there's an equipment swap?
MrAndy1369 and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The worst part about this is that many customers are actually penalized for buying the super-expensive Delta business-class airfares, as Delta limits mileage earning to 75,000 per ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Gig103
I don't care if they want to charge more for their A350s. That's a business decision. But for it to be a "Surcharge" is baloney. Delta wants their prices to look competitive when it won't be at checkout. I hope the US government gets involved and makes them stop that and advertise the rate with the $500 included, because this isn't a case of 'unbundling'.
I don't think this will be allowed to be added after checkout. I think DOT regulations require it be advertised as part of the base fare.

Plus, will the $500 even count towards Skymiles if it's part of "taxes and fees"? And what happens if there's an equipment swap?
Good question.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm smelling a trial balloon with this one.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by dw
Frankly, this seems to be in line with DL's delusional thinking that their product is superior to everyone else's and that passengers are willing to pay for it.
Except DL does have materially higher PRASM than their primary competitors, so it hardly seems delusional.

Originally Posted by dw
And perhaps a more important question is, is it worth a premium over Asian carriers?
There seems to be a wholesale misunderstanding on FT about the financial performance of the Asian carriers.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pbarnette
There seems to be a wholesale misunderstanding on FT about the financial performance of the Asian carriers.
Meaning?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
... Plus, will the $500 even count towards Skymiles if it's part of "taxes and fees"? ...
With DL's parsimonious 75K RDM limit, most are going to max out the RDM earnings even before the $500 fee is added.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:02 am

I don't care if they want to charge more for their A350s. That's a business decision. But for it to be a "Surcharge" is baloney. Delta wants their prices to look competitive when it won't be at checkout. I hope the US government gets involved and makes them stop that and advertise the rate with the $500 included, because this isn't a case of 'unbundling'. Plus, will the $500 even count towards Skymiles if it's part of "taxes and fees"? And what happens if there's an equipment swap?
It's not part of the taxes and fees, it's part of the fare just like a charge for a stopover is part of the fare. It won't:be listed in taxes and fees and as a consumer you won't see it separately - you'll see the correct fare from the outset.

It just means that DL doesn't have to file a whole separate range of fare codes for A350 flights, rather they can use the same fare codes across the board and the price just gets automatically adjusted for A350 flights within that.

Here's an example of how it works in practice, with the $500 extra built into the base fare:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ldnn1; Aug 15, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by wco81
The real question is will those reviews be coming from paying passengers or from non-revs filling them when the suites don't sell?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:08 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
The real question is will those reviews be coming from paying passengers or from non-revs filling them when the suites don't sell?
Are non-revs subject to the surcharge as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.