Routing to Baku, Azerbaijan

Old Aug 13, 2017, 7:23 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
Probably. I just did ATL->Baku on delta.com
For an itinerary like this I would suggest using a tool like ITA Matrix to find the flights that work best.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
For an itinerary like this I would suggest using a tool like ITA Matrix to find the flights that work best.
I definitely agree. I was simply going for the fast and easy approach to see what delta would spit out.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: Delta 360/DM/3MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by Dennis88
Google flights shows various options through AMS and CDG, connecting to Azerbaijan direct to Baku. You won't earn miles on the last leg, but that might be the best option without having to go through SVO.
Nothing wrong at all with connecting through SVO, especially with the new airport (although not so new anymore). Actually, it's a pleasure compared to CDG.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Aeroflot is a perfectly good option. No issues with them. From ATL, looks like DL wants you to fly ATL-AMS-SVO-GYD both ways. The other option is to create your own ST routing from JFK, going JFK-SVO-GYD, if you want one less stop overseas.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Depending on your travel policy and/or budget, this could be a fun trip.

You could fly Delta or another Sky Team airline to Moscow, St. Petersburg, Istanbul, Doha, Prague, Berlin, Milan, London, Paris and Barcelona before connecting on Azerbaijan's flag-carrier for the flight to Baku.

I spent 5 minutes on Matrix and found business-class airfares for $5763; ATL-JFK-SVO-GYD (and vice versa). I was also to copy-and-paste and use BookWithMatrix.com to buy through Delta.com.

I'm sure there's a whizz with Matrix and/or Google Flights who could put together an even better routing.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Aug 15, 2017 at 6:59 am
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Nothing wrong with Flying the 'Flot these days. I used to do it a lot to have the long flight with decent sleep and then bounce back into Europe in a legit business class.

It would seem that your more "conventional" options would be Aeroflot, Lufthansa, Turkish and Qatar, based on how important Skyteam is to you, and what your secondary alliance is. All things being equal, I'd probably choose between 'Flot and Turkish, with Turkish coming out ahead if we eliminated MQMs as a consideration. As spudley007 pointed out, navigating the new, er, "more modern" version of SVO isn't difficult at all.

O/H
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Occupationalhazard
Nothing wrong with Flying the 'Flot these days. I used to do it a lot to have the long flight with decent sleep and then bounce back into Europe in a legit business class.

It would seem that your more "conventional" options would be Aeroflot, Lufthansa, Turkish and Qatar, based on how important Skyteam is to you, and what your secondary alliance is. All things being equal, I'd probably choose between 'Flot and Turkish, with Turkish coming out ahead if we eliminated MQMs as a consideration. As spudley007 pointed out, navigating the new, er, "more modern" version of SVO isn't difficult at all.

O/H
I've heard lots of good things about Turkish, especially the on-board catering. However, Turkish business-class is 2x2x2. While I believe Aeroflot is also 2x2x2 up-front you at least get some mileage credit for flying Aeroflot as a Delta loyalist through the Sky Team partnership.

Not knowing your budget, I also found Atlanta-Madrid on Delta and Madrid-Paris on Air France in business-class on random dates in October for $6500. For Paris-Baku, business-class is between $1300 and $1500 round-trip, depending on the airline.

Depending on your budget and flexibility, it might be worth exploring one-ways or multiple tickets.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I've heard lots of good things about Turkish, especially the on-board catering.
IME, it's tres delish, even if you don't always know what it is.

However, Turkish business-class is 2x2x2. While I believe Aeroflot is also 2x2x2 up-front you at least get some mileage credit for flying Aeroflot as a Delta loyalist through the Sky Team partnership.
Correct, although if you select an interior aisle, then you won't be bothered (or inconvenience) a person occupying an adjacent seat. Beyond that, I believe I did account for the lack of MQMs in choosing a non-Skyteam option in my post. While I prefer to utilize Delta and its partners, the reality is that loyalty isn't rewarded in the way it used to be and if my choice is blind loyalty to DL vs. comparable (or better) amenities and service on another carrier, then, when the latter is favorably priced - and I've seen Skyteam at 2x to 3.5x the price to destinations I favor - it's hard to argue that one should always fly Skyteam.

As an example, this year, I know I will hit Diamond based on planned business travel, and, while the extra rollover MQMs would be nice I am unwilling to pay more than a small premium for them, as well as some other bennies (ability to use CLEAR at JFK at T2 (thus for both T2 and T4 flights), dealing with familiar staff, etc.) when I can keep another $1-2K in my pocket and enjoy a similar (and sometimes better) product as well as more sleep on the outbound.

Not knowing your budget, I also found Atlanta-Madrid on Delta and Madrid-Paris on Air France in business-class on random dates in October for $6500. For Paris-Baku, business-class is between $1300 and $1500 round-trip, depending on the airline.

Depending on your budget and flexibility, it might be worth exploring one-ways or multiple tickets.
Minor point for those reading the thread: I assume that hockeyinsider's remarks (quoted directly, above) are more properly directed to the OP, gb88.

O/H
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

While I prefer to utilize Delta and its partners, the reality is that loyalty isn't rewarded in the way it used to be and if my choice is blind loyalty to DL vs. comparable (or better) amenities and service on another carrier, then, when the latter is favorably priced - and I've seen Skyteam at 2x to 3.5x the price to destinations I favor - it's hard to argue that one should always fly Skyteam.
I agree.

Minor point for those reading the thread: I assume that hockeyinsider's remarks (quoted directly, above) are more properly directed to the OP, gb88.
Yes, sorry.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, sorry.
No worries. I'm sure I've done it before, too.

O/H

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.