Wiki Posts
Search

recline etiquite

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 1MM, Marriott Plat, SPG gold, Hilton Gold,Avis PS
recline etiquite

Since I've never ranted in my flyer talk history, I thought I'd give a little shout out to the gentleman sitting in 3a on 1910 today.(MSP-MCO) I thought we were getting along fine since you didn't recline your seat the entire flight.....that is until 20 min before landing as they made the usual announcements. Something must have come over you as you sent the seat back flying so fast, you smashed my laptop screen before I could even put it away....

Yes....I did take notice of your yellow FT tag, as well as your diamond tag...just in case you were wondering...

rant off....
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Gentlemen don't recline fast.

Do people remember that song about wanting a man with a slow hand?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:25 am

Programs: DL PM
There's a yellow flyertalk tag?!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:26 am

I
Believe that we all should be able to behave like
The adults we are, and that the solution is to politely
Let the person behind you know that you're about to recline, or at least do it slowly.
GRALISTAIR and pony_trekker like this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:32 am

I do recline slowly.

I do not let the person know I am reclining nor am I planning to discuss it with you if you are seated behind me. If you whine I can easily ignore you (and yes I have. I gave up the "being nice" after having someone ask me to put my seat up and then realizing he had his ALL the way back... Uh wait! He whine loudly when I reclined LOL!)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure why this needed to be a new thread since a quick search reveals multiple duplicate threads.

Because it is FT, there is never a concensus. But, if you skim some of these and there had to be a vote, it would probably come out that you recline slowly, perhaps just a bit for 5-10 seconds and then all the way. That is fair enough warning. If the person behind you then reacts and perhaps asks for a minute to readjust his laptop or whatever, that seems reasonable. But, there are very few who believe that one needs to give verbal notice or consult.

In fairness, a properly constructed tray table should be hinged so that the position of the seatback does not affect its level.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:43 am
Original Poster

By the way.....we are at the gate and your seat is still back...lol

Last edited by nytracon; Aug 11, 2017 at 10:58 am
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond MM, SPG Platinum, Skywards Silver
I own my airspace...

I believe I have rented the airspace in front of me for the duration of my journey, and permit use to the pax seated in front of me if done politely.

If common courtesy is not shown, I believe in an accidental kick to the seat back at the same speed at which it was lowered. Then I'll grab it, to aggressively hoist my 600lb body up to use the bathroom, and lower myself upon my return.

Happy Friday. ibtl
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDL4Fun
I believe I have rented the airspace in front of me for the duration of my journey, and permit use to the pax seated in front of me if done politely.

If common courtesy is not shown, I believe in an accidental kick to the seat back at the same speed at which it was lowered. Then I'll grab it, to aggressively hoist my 600lb body up to use the bathroom, and lower myself upon my return.

Happy Friday. ibtl
As long as you are ok with the jerk behind you treating you the same way go for it.

Of course you don't get to permit the person in front of you to use their seat as designed. LOL! You really aren't as entitled as you think you are (And I would assume that at 600 lbs you probably have to hoist your body up regardless of what position my seat is in LOL, but since you will stuck in that small bathroom it will be entertaining!)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Hey....i don't care if u recline....im ok with it...but that was the fastest seat back slam I have ever seen...lol. and with 20 min left? Oh well.....
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:27 am

Recline Slowly. Agree.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM
I'll recline slowly, but I paid for a seat that has the ability to recline, and I likely intend to use it. It's not selfish to expect to use all the functions of the seat, and I expect the person in front of me to do the same.

If one has physical needs that make it impossible for the seat in front of them to recline, they should request bulkhead or other seats with extended space.

With regard to the fast recline, some seats take more effort to recline than others. Is it possible when the person in front hit the recline button, the seat had no resistance and simply reclined more quickly than expected? I've had that happen, as well as seats with more resistance than expected which required a hard push to get to recline. Sometimes resulting in a snap recline in the end as well.
fti likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 9:58 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by appleguru
There's a yellow flyertalk tag?!
Yes: http://www.flyertalk.com/store/

spotting thread in Community Buzz: Flyertalk Luggage Tags WORK!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by nytracon
you smashed my laptop screen before I could even put it away....
Seriously?

IBTL! ^
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

lol...yea....just as the first landing message was being announced.....BLAM..

......and I didn't even play with the touchscreen like the 4 year old behind me in 5a

I don't deserve that type of treatment! lol

he was even so kind as to leave the seat reclined for the next passenger....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.