Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpressJet Terminates Agreement Early

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Time to quickly book ExpressJet flights while there are still in the system.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I don't get all the SkyWest hate. They aren't quite as good as Compass - the best regional since Mesaba (RIP) - but they are still reliable with pleasant crews on average who seem to enjoy their jobs. I feel like because of their scale, they are better than average at maintenance and scheduling - I've very rarely been screwed by delays or cancellations by them.

In my book, pre-Endeavor Pinnacle was by far the Worst Regional Airline Evar™, but GoJet and ExpressJet have been pretty bad at times too...
Old Aug 10, 2017, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by BenA
I don't get all the SkyWest hate. They aren't quite as good as Compass - the best regional since Mesaba (RIP) - but they are still reliable with pleasant crews on average who seem to enjoy their jobs. I feel like because of their scale, they are better than average at maintenance and scheduling - I've very rarely been screwed by delays or cancellations by them.

In my book, pre-Endeavor Pinnacle was by far the Worst Regional Airline Evar™, but GoJet and ExpressJet have been pretty bad at times too...
Compass is my favorite as well, and I also truly miss Mesaba. Pinnacle on the other hand, I always tended to avoid in the NWA days.

Of course Mesaba ran the wonderful Avro's I miss so much.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Don't have much experience with SkyWest being on the East Coast, flew them a long time ago under the UA Express brand and I actually found them to be fine, great crew as well. ExpressJet under the DL Connection brand is mixed, I've had flights delayed due to MX issues, inoperative lavs, and various service issues. However the crews were fine, if not above and beyond.

On the flip side of that have never had an issue with Endeavor and only have good things to say about them. Kind of happy about this change.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Ah, some people never learn their lesson. Wholey owned regionals have never worked out. Mark my words, Endeavor will be Comaired within the next ten years.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
ExpressJet was the reincarnation of Atlantic Southeast Airlines. IIRC some of the ASA operation was also folded into Skywest. That explains the problems experienced when flying EJ and SW. For those who never experienced ASA, I am confident that had Dante been alive and writing Inferno in 2009 the third ring of Hell would have involved flying ASA.

Good riddance.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In response to past # 29 above that I forgot to quote:

Wow. The MSP-DCA government fares are much much worse.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by james318
Compass is my favorite as well, and I also truly miss Mesaba. Pinnacle on the other hand, I always tended to avoid in the NWA days.

Of course Mesaba ran the wonderful Avro's I miss so much.
I agree with you on Mesaba and Compass, but my Pinnacle experiences were always fine.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
I've heard bad things about SkyWest too, but don't fly them much. I usually see Endeavor or GoJet at DCA/CVG, both of which are fine operators.
I guess it just shows how the experience differs from person to person. I have always been pleased with Skywest employees. They have been consistently friendly and professional in my experience. And none of their workgroups are unionized so you won't have to worry about flight interruptions due to employee pettiness.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Ah, some people never learn their lesson. Wholey owned regionals have never worked out. Mark my words, Endeavor will be Comaired within the next ten years.
Really? Endeavor is by far the best DL regional operator. I've found that their crews are often better than mainline.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WWads
Really? Endeavor is by far the best DL regional operator. I've found that their crews are often better than mainline.
Comair was the best of the regionals at one time as well. They were the first regional to get the brand new (at the time) CRJ. CVG even took on the name of "The Jet Hub" because it was the only hub at the time with all jet operations. The Comair pilots sealed the fate with that strike that crippled Delta's operations for a while.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
ExpressJet was the reincarnation of Atlantic Southeast Airlines. IIRC some of the ASA operation was also folded into Skywest. That explains the problems experienced when flying EJ and SW. For those who never experienced ASA, I am confident that had Dante been alive and writing Inferno in 2009 the third ring of Hell would have involved flying ASA.

Good riddance.
I used to call ASA 'Satan's Commuter Airline' too. I definitely do NOT miss them, and tend to blame any ExpressJet issues on the ASA holdover taint.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
More CR9s to Endeavour, fewer CR7s and CR2s for Delta in general. Express Jet will park CR2s and Endeavour as well, which all sounds like good news for flyers. It'll be interesting to see what the Delta Connection fleet looks like a year from now. Might see 100 or fewers CR2s — and with the departure of CR7s, Delta has an opening for a few more largeish RJs.
Only CR7 or hopefully E70s. The CR9 and E75 are too large.

DALPA's scope is broken down into three sections for DCI, 50 seats or less, 51 to 70 seats and 71 to 76 seats. DL can still add a handful of 76 seaters if they want (IIRC they have something like 5 more frames they can add)
Originally Posted by LBJ
The 23 CR2's were already scheduled to go at the of the year. The latest quarterly report currently shows 152 CR2's in the fleet. The plan that was announced several years ago was to get the 50-seater fleet down to 125 aircraft. Subtracting the 23 ExpressJet aircraft gets DL down to 129 which is pretty close to the target. I haven't seen anything about going below that 125 number.
My understanding is 9E is going to park some more CR2s to fund this growth as well.
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Be careful what you wish for. IMO/IME ExpressJet isn't the worst of the DL Connection carriers by a lot......
EV is probably only better than G7. Hopefully G7 is the next one to get the chop, leaving DL with OO, 9E, RP and CP in the DCI operation.
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Maybe, maybe not. Delta used to serve MCN (Macon, GA), which was about 5-10 miles up the road from Robins AFB. Service was pulled though and anyone traveling to Robins now has to go in and out of ATL.

As to government travel being profitable, again, sometimes yes and sometimes not so much. It all depends on the route and city. I fly SEA-LAX regularly. The Capacity Controlled fare is $62 one way. The Full YCA fare is $140 one way.
FWIW Macon was only around as long as it was because ASA had a maintenance base at the airport. Once ASA sold the base to Bombardier and took over the former Eastern hangar in Atlanta the ATL-MCN route was cut. Also I believe it was and EAS city.

not to say BQK will stay or go but its not the same animal as MCN. My guess is it will hang around on 9E metal.

Good riddance.
ExpressJet was the product of ASA and ExpressJet merging. Skywest didn't take any parts of ASA.

Also a note for everyone in this thread, most of ExpressJet and ASA employees have still yet to be merged. Likely means large layoffs on the legacy ASA side of the house.
Also it is questionable if the maintenance hangar in ATL stays with EV. Delta wants the building something bad and EV will obviously have very little ATL flying after this.
Maybe maybe not. 9E will stay around as long as the employees are willing to keep whipsawing the industry.
Comair was the best of the regionals at one time as well. They were the first regional to get the brand new (at the time) CRJ. CVG even took on the name of "The Jet Hub" because it was the only hub at the time with all jet operations. The Comair pilots sealed the fate with that strike that crippled Delta's operations for a while.
The strike isn't what did it. What did it was OH's pilots telling the company to shove it when they came to them expecting even more concessions. They wouldn't agree to be a part of the whipsawing so Delta shut em down.

American Eagle (not Envoy) came very very close to same ending.

Of course the landscape in the RJ industry has completely changed and isn't really comparable to the timeframe OH was shut down.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: EK PLAT 2022-2023, UAplat soon to be LH senator!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
GoJet has a bad reputation. IME SkyWest is very bad. I'm not sure which one is worse.

+1 on GoJet.....they and their alter ego cousins at trans states could not find their way out of a wet paper bag on a good day, i yearn for the day that UA kicks them to the curb, skywest imo runs a better op (maintenance and crew mgmt)speaking.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Good riddance.
Im confused. As there been two or three airlines called Express Jet? I know CO used to have a wholly owned regional called ExpressJet and i know there was an airline selling their own seats called ExpressJet. Are any of these the same as the one flying today?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.