Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ExpressJet Terminates Agreement Early

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My worst experiences have been SkyWest. Horrid old worn filthy aircraft, including a CRJ-900 where the FC lavatory was signposted as if it had been inoperable for a very very long time.
I've heard bad things about SkyWest too, but don't fly them much. I usually see Endeavor or GoJet at DCA/CVG, both of which are fine operators.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by LBJ
The 23 CR2's were already scheduled to go at the of the year. The latest quarterly report currently shows 152 CR2's in the fleet. The plan that was announced several years ago was to get the 50-seater fleet down to 125 aircraft. Subtracting the 23 ExpressJet aircraft gets DL down to 129 which is pretty close to the target. I haven't seen anything about going below that 125 number.
Still 125 too many.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Still 125 too many.
Depends on where you are based. It is nice for HSV to have mainline service to ATL most of the time, but the tradeoff is reduced frequency. That can be downright painful on Saturdays when we only have 4 flights to ATL most of the time.

But I have been cooked in CRJs on many occasions during the summer months.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
So who ends up picking up the slack for the former ExpressJet routes?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:22 am

My worst experiences have been SkyWest. Horrid old worn filthy aircraft, including a CRJ-900 where the FC lavatory was signposted as if it had been inoperable for a very very long time.

I fly them relatively frequently. They were truly awful about 5 years ago (Comair bad), but they have shown a lot of improvement over the last few years. FAs are generally pretty friendly, actually work hard now, and are usually pretty competent. Service is by no means the quality of what you receive on a mainline flight, but at least they are in the same county now rather than a different planet. They also run a lot of brand new E175s^. Out west, I do think CP is a little better though.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:45 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Adios Express Jet. You will not be missed. Many of my gripes over the years with employees have been yours. You'll go from the worst service provider for DL to the best service provider with AA.
Sad, but so true. The regionals on AA are so lousy that ExpressJet will be a step up. About 100% of my flights on Envoy have been delayed and / or cancelled.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rylan
So who ends up picking up the slack for the former ExpressJet routes?
Mostly Endeavor, whose fleet will increase accordingly -- they are assuming operation of 31 ExpressJet aircraft -- and where numerous ExpressJet employees are expected to apply. Most of the added lift is CR9s, but Endeavor is also taking 3 CR7s on strength; not sure where they will be deployed.

Endeavor is also opening an ATL base, which is expected to attract senior employees, and shrinking MSP ops, where SkyWest will take over most of the current Endeavor CR2 operation. This creates more opportunity for JFK/LGA/DTW-based Endeavor crews, as the most senior crew are currently MSP-based and it's them, mostly, who are expected to migrate to ATL and enjoy flying Caribbean routes.

Originally Posted by jrkmsp
More CR9s to Endeavour, fewer CR7s and CR2s for Delta in general. Express Jet will park CR2s and Endeavour as well, which all sounds like good news for flyers.
DL wants nothing but CR9s at JFK because it wants premium customers coming off longhaul flights to fly their last legs in more comfort. It is bad for overall quality perceptions when the short leg is on a CR2 with no upgrade opportunity.

Originally Posted by TOPGUN750
A bunch of these Expressjet CRJ700 operate ex LGA.
LGA will soon be all CR9s to maximize seats per slot.

Endeavor employees who came aboard in the last 1-3 years are very happy about all these developments. Their company is in grow mode, the CR2 fleet presence is shrinking, and prospects out of JFK and LGA especially are excellent.

Last edited by BearX220; Aug 10, 2017 at 11:02 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I hate the idea that part of the net effect of this will be to replace Endeavor by SkyWest flights at MSP.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:14 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I have found SkyWest to be the best if these minor league carriers. I understand the gripes, but not every route is viable on mainline sadly. Be careful what you wish for, and be grateful delta doesn't fly prop planes.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:22 pm

Be careful what you wish for. IMO/IME ExpressJet isn't the worst of the DL Connection carriers by a lot......
Care to expand?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Care to expand?
GoJet has a bad reputation. IME SkyWest is very bad. I'm not sure which one is worse.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-Affiliated
GoJet has a bad reputation. IME SkyWest is very bad. I'm not sure which one is worse.
I've had very positive experiences with SkyWest over the years, mainly out of SLC.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by james318
I've had very positive experiences with SkyWest over the years, mainly out of SLC.
Same here. Well over a decade of flying with SkyWest out of SLC and not a complaint to be had from me. Even those little Brasilia flights were nothing to complain about - you knew in advance you were going to be on a small prop plane and just brought the noise-cancelling headphones. The Brasilia did make flying into PSP interesting on a hot day when the thermals coming down through the mountain passes to the Valley made the plane bounce like a ping-pong ball!
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by vincentharris
I would like to know what this means for BQK, I imagine somebody (Mainline DL or a regional carrier) would take over that route since FLETC and Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay are right there (FLETC literally being a stones throw from the airport) and government tickets are profitable.
Maybe, maybe not. Delta used to serve MCN (Macon, GA), which was about 5-10 miles up the road from Robins AFB. Service was pulled though and anyone traveling to Robins now has to go in and out of ATL.

As to government travel being profitable, again, sometimes yes and sometimes not so much. It all depends on the route and city. I fly SEA-LAX regularly. The Capacity Controlled fare is $62 one way. The Full YCA fare is $140 one way.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Maybe, maybe not. Delta used to serve MCN (Macon, GA), which was about 5-10 miles up the road from Robins AFB. Service was pulled though and anyone traveling to Robins now has to go in and out of ATL.

As to government travel being profitable, again, sometimes yes and sometimes not so much. It all depends on the route and city. I fly SEA-LAX regularly. The Capacity Controlled fare is $62 one way. The Full YCA fare is $140 one way.
True, I hope it gets saved. It's a truly convenient airport and great for the golden isles not have to go to Savannah or Jacksonville. It's not an EAS route which makes me hold out hope it's considered a profitable route on its own and can continue service without ExpressJet

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.