Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Earn Miles While Voluntarily Bumped

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Earn Miles While Voluntarily Bumped

Quick question, was flying out of DTW a couple of weeks ago, going direct to NYC. They were offering $1200 to take a later flight so I took that. Got routed through MSP and then made my way to NYC. I didn't get any mileage credit for any of the flights that day. Is that the norm when you voluntarily get bumped?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by flyguy88
Quick question, was flying out of DTW a couple of weeks ago, going direct to NYC. They were offering $1200 to take a later flight so I took that. Got routed through MSP and then made my way to NYC. I didn't get any mileage credit for any of the flights that day. Is that the norm when you voluntarily get bumped?
No, you should get credit for your flight(s) or credit for your original flight(s) if greater.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Interesting. I've filled out the online form and didn't hear back, so I called in today and they said that I'm not eligible for miles on the 2 legs I took. So I got 0 miles in total getting to NYC. Maybe I can try again and see if I get a different answer.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
If your original ticket was a mileage ticket then you will still earn zero miles on the flights, regardless of how you actually got to NYC (even via SFO/LAX).

If you purchased a revenue ticket and have a receipt showing it's a purchased revenue ticket you are due miles and the agent is wrong.

-RM
Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Original ticket was paid by CC, not redeemed for miles. Booked the whole thing round trip and got miles for the return flight to DTW. Thanks for the replies I'll contact them again to try and get miles for my outward trip.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
The problem is that the gate agent did not properly "attach the revenue" to your re-routed trip. Call DL back and ask them if the revenue was attached. If they say no, then ask them why not.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:43 pm

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
Interesting. I've filled out the online form and didn't hear back, so I called in today and they said that I'm not eligible for miles on the 2 legs I took. So I got 0 miles in total getting to NYC. Maybe I can try again and see if I get a different answer.
So my last "talk to us" emails took about 6 weeks to get back to me but they eventually got to it and addressed all the issues appropriately. I think they are very backlogged on complaints as reported by news agencies.....
Old Jul 26, 2017, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
So my last "talk to us" emails took about 6 weeks to get back to me but they eventually got to it and addressed all the issues appropriately. I think they are very backlogged on complaints as reported by news agencies.....
It can be faster and easier to do things like this by phone rather than email or talk to us.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah, would be faster to call, or alternatively use twitter and send the brief details in a direct message with your ticket number, that you got rerouted but never received mileage credit so seems like they didn't rebuild the ticket properly.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

Called them back today and they are going to update my account to get the miles I would have received on the outbound leg DTW-NYC. Unfortunately they aren't going to credit me the miles I actually flew going through MSP. Not a huge deal except the difference would bump me up in status. Suppose I can just get it on the next flight though.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 11:12 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Uh, they should credit you for the MQMs you actually flew unless you specifically request original routing credit
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:04 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
.... they aren't going to credit me the miles I actually flew....
This is obsurd. Why won't they credit the miles?
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

I'll see what actually gets credited to my account and go back again if I have to. I asked specifically about getting the miles I flew vs the miles on the original ticket and they just told me they will give what's on the original booking. Seems like the people I talk to don't see this much since no one really knows how to handle it.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
This kind of things happen often enough, I imagine, for them to know the procedure. Seems like they lack the necessary information required to credit the re-route, and are going by the information on your original round trip ticket. Possibly why the miles didnt post in the first place.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I'll see what actually gets credited to my account and go back again if I have to. I asked specifically about getting the miles I flew vs the miles on the original ticket and they just told me they will give what's on the original booking. Seems like the people I talk to don't see this much since no one really knows how to handle it.
If you have to talk or write to DL further, use the term "original routing credit." It's an easy, straightforward, and specific term.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.