Wiki Posts
Search

delta.dumb help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta(SM)(1MM), Hilton silver
delta.dumb help

So Delta .dumb does it again. Tomorrow flying from ogg to lax on dl1354 with my family. My wife and I are upgraded to Comfort+ and my adult daughter and her two children (14 and 8) were in 24 D,E and F. So at online check in discovered they are now in 24C, D and F. Called the medallion line and they stated it was an equipment change so there is nothing they can do, Tweeted them and basically got same response. The seating arrangement is an identical 757-200 so how can Delta screw this up.I know the person in the middle will jump at an aisle instead of a middle but how can Delta be so dumb as to separate a mom from her 8 year old daughter with a stranger in between. Any inside scoop on how to get Delta to change?
Thanks, a pissed of Delta frequent flyer.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:25 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by golfinglimey
So Delta .dumb does it again. Tomorrow flying from ogg to lax on dl1354 with my family. My wife and I are upgraded to Comfort+ and my adult daughter and her two children (14 and 8) were in 24 D,E and F. So at online check in discovered they are now in 24C, D and F. Called the medallion line and they stated it was an equipment change so there is nothing they can do, Tweeted them and basically got same response. The seating arrangement is an identical 757-200 so how can Delta screw this up.I know the person in the middle will jump at an aisle instead of a middle but how can Delta be so dumb as to separate a mom from her 8 year old daughter with a stranger in between. Any inside scoop on how to get Delta to change?
Is DL going to change the way the computer assigns seats? NO
If someone is in 24E you are out of luck as far as that seat. Have you looked at the seating chart online and found other seats that you want? If there aren't you can keep an eye on the seating chart or you will have to wait for the gate.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta(SM)(1MM), Hilton silver
All other seats assigned. After 28 years flying with them this is the most stupid one I came across all three passengers have same last name.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before the change your seats were aisle, middle, window, all in the same row. Now you have aisle, aisle, window, all in the same row (and the same row as before). Most people would be extremely happy to have an airline switch a middle seat to an aisle in the same row.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Before the change your seats were aisle, middle, window, all in the same row. Now you have aisle, aisle, window, all in the same row (and the same row as before). Most people would be extremely happy to have an airline switch a middle seat to an aisle in the same row.
I was flying OGG-LAX back in the end of May and I booked the flight about 3 weeks prior. In typical Hawaii fashion (The entire flight was pretty much already full, 0 FC seats and 2 middle C+ seats and a few other middle seats. The only seats they were non-middles available were preferred seats right behind C+ were the aisle and middle were empty. My +1 and I were traveling together so we just took those seats. Well why we were wating I just sat in the middle seat and when the guy who had that seat I just asked him if he wanted the aisle seat as I was traveling with my +1 and he said "of course, I wasn't looking forward to sitting in a middle seat for 5 hours."
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
All other seats assigned. After 28 years flying with them this is the most stupid one I came across all three passengers have same last name.
Having same name is a pointless reference. I know others with my exact name (first and last). One lives two blocks from me and one in same city. We have zero relationship to each other.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
A bit testy coming off of a family trip to Maui. Algorithms aren't infallible so mistakes happen. 24E will be happy to switch with C so no big deal.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:28 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
"Most people" traveling alone, sure. This is three people on what sounds like
the same PNR.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
"Most people" traveling alone, sure. This is three people on what sounds like
the same PNR.
I wouldn't assume they are on the same PNR. So far, OP has only said they share the same last name. People frequently book tickets separately for a variety of reasons.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by LBJ
I wouldn't assume they are on the same PNR. So far, OP has only said they share the same last name. People frequently book tickets separately for a variety of reasons.
people typically do not book separate tickets for 14- and 8-year-olds when they are traveling with their own children.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Navig8R
A bit testy coming off of a family trip to Maui. Algorithms aren't infallible so mistakes happen. 24E will be happy to switch with C so no big deal.
The point remains... this scenario is frequently reported here. So, it seems that the algorithm is frequently (perhaps, consistently) fallible.

And, has been reported, seat reshuffling occurs when there has been an airplane swap... even if the replacement plane is an identically typed and configured aircraft.

One is left wondering whether minimization of passenger inconvenience is even a consideration in the algorithm.

It would seem that an airline that can fly you half-way around the world at 40,000 feet and get you to the correct destination could be a bit more successful in implementing aircraft changes... if doing so were a priority.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
The point remains... this scenario is frequently reported here. So, it seems that the algorithm is frequently (perhaps, consistently) fallible.

And, has been reported, seat reshuffling occurs when there has been an airplane swap... even if the replacement plane is an identically typed and configured aircraft.

One is left wondering whether minimization of passenger inconvenience is even a consideration in the algorithm.

It would seem that an airline that can fly you half-way around the world at 40,000 feet and get you to the correct destination could be a bit more successful in implementing aircraft changes... if doing so were a priority.
Delta moves ~500,000 passengers per day, so a few reports on FT hardly means this a common occurrence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.