Delta status match

Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Delta status match

I'm looking for ideas here for a unique problem. I flew delta in the 1980s over 2 million miles and because of that I have lifetime gold. However I moved away from Atlanta in early 1991 and my flying on delta was reduced to a few flights a year. I'm in the position to fly well over 125k miles a year now again on delta. However when I requested status match(I'm American executive platinum) they told me they couldn't provide status match since I was already delta gold. After the rejection I even emailed Delta CEO. But my email was sent back to woman in customer service who had rejected the status match and she rejected it again.

Any one have any ideas on how I might get this match so I don't have to wait til the end of the year?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:35 am

I don't think you're going to have much luck when you have GM status already. Especially if you tried emailing the CEO, and he referred it back to the previous person, there isn't much more that can be done, unless you want to use to conduct a seance to appeal to CE Woolman, (RA may be able to let you use his old desk ) you've gone as high as you can.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by kop84
I don't think you're going to have much luck when you have GM status already.
This. We've had many reports here of status matches being rejected when you already have status with DL. Even if it's only Silver.

At least OP will be Gold and have SkyPriority while waiting to cross the PM and DM thresholds.

David
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I don't think you're going to have much luck when you have GM status already. ....
Originally Posted by DiverDave
This. We've had many reports here of status matches being rejected when you already have status with DL. Even if it's only Silver....
^^^

What's next? "I am DM this year, but DL refused my request to match that status for next year. What can I do?"
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
^^^

What's next? "I am DM this year, but DL refused my request to match that status for next year. What can I do?"
My flying has slacked off for now, but I have a strong feeling it's going to pick back up in 2025, can you just keep me DM until then...you don't just want to throw future revenue away do you?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I can understand where OP is coming from. If one has lifetime status due to flying a number of years ago but hasn't been flying DL much (or at all) in recent years because they are on a different carrier's program, it seems to make sense to me for DL to try to win that traveler back. Alas, DL disagrees (which is of course their right) and I don't think there is anything the OP can do about it.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Since DL only match challenges up to the Plat level, I don't see this as that big of a deal as there is not that big of a difference between Gold and Plat. If he's really going to fly 125K+ a year, it shouldn't take that long to get to Plat on his own without the challenge.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:20 am

Sounds like you should get one of the delta credit cards and youll hit DM with the MQM bonus and MQD waiver and no need for status match
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ty97
I can understand where OP is coming from. If one has lifetime status due to flying a number of years ago but hasn't been flying DL much (or at all) in recent years because they are on a different carrier's program, it seems to make sense to me for DL to try to win that traveler back. Alas, DL disagrees (which is of course their right) and I don't think there is anything the OP can do about it.
After years of being a DL PM, Leo Mullin drove me away to Continental. I came back after Leo left.

I did not inquire about a status match in either direction. I quickly earned my way up to Continental's top tier, and earned my way back up to PM (and, later, to DM) after I returned to DL.

I am philosophically opposed to status matches. They are just another way that the airline seeks to enhance its position by disadvantaging currently loyal customers in hopes of obtaining a future loyal customer... who, if he/she stays loyal, will be similarly disadvantaged at some later time.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

I am philosophically opposed to status matches. They are just another way that the airline seeks to enhance its position by disadvantaging currently loyal customers in hopes of obtaining a future loyal customer... who, if he/she stays loyal, will be similarly disadvantaged at some later time.
If DL gave the matches out like candy, I could see that. But considering the restrictions, such as OP is being refused a match, and other limitations to when DL is willing to match, I think the impact to current loyal customers are constrained. And DL, a business, is in the business of both retaining current loyal customers and gaining news ones.

Now if you could jump back and forth between programs matching year after year after year (EXP Year 1, match to UA Plat Year 2, match to DL plat Year 3, match to AA Year 4, etc etc) that would be a problem, but the matches don't allow that.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
My flying has slacked off for now, but I have a strong feeling it's going to pick back up in 2025, can you just keep me DM until then...you don't just want to throw future revenue away do you?
^^^

Either you read the post wrong or were being sarcastic, because otherwise I can't figure out how you jump from the OP's post to these sort of absurd responses.

OP didn't ask for his previous status to be reinstated out of some goodwill, he's an AA EXP. If he had flown 999,999 miles on Delta before moving out of ATL, and it was more than 3 years ago, he would have no Medallion status now and they would do a status match - which involves earning MQM in a 90 day window.

I understand what's going on OP, and a bummer Delta's CS doesn't care to see the potential of your renewed loyalty. If you've already escalated to the executive offices and been rejected, the nail is in the coffin on your match. Why not stay on AA? Or post over in the Skyteam section to see if a different carrier will match your EXP while you still earn on DL?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
... being sarcastic...
I, obviously mistakenly, believed that the would provide ample communication of intent.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 4:07 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
As pointed out above, DL doesn't allow challenges if you already have any Medallion status. However other programs e.g. SPG allow you to challenge for a higher status than you currently hold (provided other conditions are met). So the question is not in and of itself a ridiculous one...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.