Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What the heck is going on at LGA tonight?

What the heck is going on at LGA tonight?

Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Having to deal with the NYC subway system on a daily basis is good practice.
At least people don't burn to death on the Subway. Here in DC, that's always a distinct possibility, along with death by smoke inhalation, and blunt force trauma from the inevitable yearly crash.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jul 24, 2017 at 2:43 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Originally Posted by WWads
I don't know how NYC FFs stay sane. Every day during the summer there seems to be a ground stop at LGA.
It is called the Centurion Lounge
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
It really is terrible. Then try waiting an hour for a cab once you land.
Seriously?

The only reason not to take the Q70 bus to the train for one measly fare is if you have some gigantic luggage.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Everything's worse in NYC, and yet somehow we all choose to live here and proclaim it at the greatest city in the world.

...I mean, but it is though
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by tkjazzer
What the heck is going on at LGA tonight? Supposedly weather, but what weather type is exactly the problem. Doesn't look wet or windy. 10 miles visibility isn't enough?
I love when people say this. There's a huge line of TS West of ZNY. Do people really think planes just teleport through all the weather enroute?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:37 pm

Days without an LGA ground-stop: Zero
Attached Images  
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by tonypct
And I don't think it's jutstbthe air traffic.
What else do you propose it is?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond and Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
LGA is an old-style postage stamp airport trying to function as a hub for two airlines. There's just not enough space for all the traffic that it sees. Plus ground control is extra touchy about the runways during bad weather after that MD88 nearly went into the East River a few years ago.

The overall ATC situation has a lot to do with it. During peak times, ZNY/ZBW/ZDC are packed to the gills, and there's not much extra slack when things go south. Exhibit A of why the US needs a complete ATC overhaul. True high-speed rail in the NEC would also help a lot, but that's getting off-topic.
This! ^
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by live5
Everything's worse in NYC, and yet somehow we all choose to live here and proclaim it at the greatest city in the world.

...I mean, but it is though
The airport situation is the worst part of living in NYC, by far. Every other annoyance is easy to avoid.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by Newman55
The airport situation is the worst part of living in NYC, by far. Every other annoyance is easy to avoid.
IMO it's somewhat outweighed by having some competition on most routes and non-stop flights to pretty much anywhere.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by eyeballer
IMO it's somewhat outweighed by having some competition on most routes and non-stop flights to pretty much anywhere.
That's true. When you expect cancellations and the chaos that comes with them every time you fly, it's an unnecessary stress that I wish someone would address competently. Unfortunately, competent not a word I would describe any of the decision-makers we have.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 1:46 pm

Yet again

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...t-weather.html
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, DL GM, Marriott LTP
The purpose of this travel waiver is pretty clear; a line of thunderstorms (with associated high winds) are scheduled to pass through the eastcoast, starting Thursday evening through Friday evening. This will interrupt inbound flights from the west and departures.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
At least people don't burn to death on the Subway. Here in DC, that's always a distinct possibility, along with death by smoke inhalation, and blunt force trauma from the inevitable yearly crash.
Wait, you're telling me SafeTrack didn't fix the constant flooding in the Red Line? /s

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.