Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Unauthorized passenger in premium seating?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unauthorized passenger in premium seating?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Perhaps the guy was a nonrev FA friend of the working crew and they let him move up?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
Red face

Originally Posted by Often1
Is there something about Native Americans accessing C+ which OP knows and the rest of us don't know?

Seriously, rather than speculating about whether the individuals in question were authorized to sit in C+ or not, the fact is that OP had a C+ seat and the rest is up to DL. If it wants to sell, upgrade freebie, or just let people wander up, that's up to DL.
OP noted that clearly DL likes whites over Indians. Duh. He saw something and he said something. I think that's his duty in a post 9/11 world.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 10:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Seriously, rather than speculating about whether the individuals in question were authorized to sit in C+ or not, the fact is that OP had a C+ seat and the rest is up to DL. If it wants to sell, upgrade freebie, or just let people wander up, that's up to DL.
I don't see where OP is disputing that. But the FA isn't DL. And DL might have an interest in what this particular flight attendant is doing if it's contrary to policy.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by kettle1
Just contact Ann Coulter and she will have this all over social media ASAP.
The thread on that topic was closed... and you still can't give this a rest?

Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or, just perhaps, the OP observed an application of DL's new policy:

We've updated our policy so seat upgrades now clear earlier at the gate to give you more time to get the best available seat. If you've already boarded and an upgrade becomes available, our flight attendants and gate agents will help you get settled into that new seat before takeoff, when possible.

While this explanation is not as exciting as some would want, it is sufficient to address the details as we know them.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:31 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
While this explanation is not as exciting as some would want, it is sufficient to address the details as we know them.
our flight attendants and gate agents will help you get settled into that new seat before takeoff, when possible.
Sure doesn't sound like it.

Originally Posted by freqflyer101
Shortly after takeoff a Caucasian guy also sneaked up and took the outer seat.

Last edited by davetravels; Jul 23, 2017 at 12:14 pm
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davetravels
Sure doesn't sound like it.
I anticipated that response but, in the spirit of brevity, did not lengthen my post to proactively defend against it.

I agree with your correct interpretation of the literal wording.

However, nothing in the policy description prohibits the FA from attending to matters "shortly after take-off" if, for example, there was not time to do so previously.

Personally, I would hope that a conscientious FA would try to apply the spirit of the policy and not feel inhibited by the literal wording.

My speculation (as, indeed it is) is reinforced by the belief that it would be a rarity that a flight would not have another Medallion eligible for the C+ seat.

I would certainly expect such a Medallion to make inquiries after take-off, especially if there was an aisle seat available (OP calls it an "outer seat"). Perhaps watching others try to appropriate the available seats, and seeing them sent packing, attracted a Medallion's attention to its availability.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:13 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
I would certainly expect such a Medallion to make inquiries after take-off, especially if there was an aisle seat available (OP calls it an "outer seat").
My personal travel experience, and having seen many other posts about it here tells me that, FAs who get questioned from Medallions onboard about UGs are shot down, being told that they don't have the official UG list, and only the the GA can do UGs.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
1) When you're ready to lie down, simply rest your feet on the lap of the seat poacher.

2) Cough aggressively without covering your mouth directly towards the seat poacher, if possible, do this while holding eye contact.

3) If seat poacher has taken the aisle seat and you're left in the window, get up to use the lav constantly.

4) Engage in a lengthy conversation with the seat poacher about a very personal/awkward/controversial topic until they are so uncomfortable they must leave.
You might want to scratch a bit and talk about head lice or bed bugs, but only if this is your return flight. Or ask him if he wants to see your lesions.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
There could be a whole bunch of reasons why someone moved after take off - COS next to them, problems with the seat they were in (malfunction), even re-seating to allow a family to sit together.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
There IS a process! Delta typically gives upgrades to Medallion frequent flyers, usually starting from the top status tier down. This is done at the gate before boarding, mostly. I'm not sure why you feel that a senior would appreciate this more than someone else? I have certainly seen people with injuries, etc, getting onboard upgrades at times.
Thanks for the welcome!
By process I mean that I think non Medallion non paid upgrade passengers should be upgraded too. It's more efficient to leave less comfortable seats (E) empty and fill premium seats imho. I'm much more comfortable with disabled passengers, seniors, vets, etc. -- to be upgraded. Seniors in particular because old people can be frail and some economy seats are just horrible for their hips and blood circulation. Not as comfortable with people just walking up.

​​​​All the responses make sense to me. I didn't do anything beyond telling the FA because it doesn't affect me. The said FA did say the guy wasn't supposed to move up, but she probably didn't want to confront him.

Guy did look kind of gangster.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Platinum
Ahhhh!!! Okay! I didn't think of that! Sorry.

I have an acquaintance who always says . . .

I saw a <insert race> person doing . . . . <whatever>, and sometimes I call her out on it.
I don't know if it's race-related or conflict avoidance related or something. The response for the same seats and the same situation was different. On the same flight. And that's that.

I personally don't care about who occupies the seats beside me (unless if it's a crying small child -- then all bets are off &#128514.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.