Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Priority boarding and checked bag w/Amex Delta: when exactly do the benefits apply?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Priority boarding and checked bag w/Amex Delta: when exactly do the benefits apply?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:28 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Question Priority boarding and checked bag w/Amex Delta: when exactly do the benefits apply?

Do you need to have this card 1)when you acquire the ticket, 2)or when you actually fly, in order for the benefits to work?

Already acquired the tickets for a Feb 2018 itinerary. But looking to cancel my Amex Delta Gold this month. Would the associated benefits like priority boarding and free first checked apply, since I had the card when I secured the flight?

Thanks
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:41 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Question transferred to Skymiles forum because these benefits are implemented by Delta, not by American Express.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
With the DL Amex, the benefits accrue to the traveler's SkyMiles account while OP holds the card. In OP's example, OP won't have a DL Amex on the date of travel, so benefits would not be available.

Conversely, if OP were to acquire a DL Amex in Jan 2018 for example, DL Amex benefits would apply to a Feb 2018 trip - even if the trip was purchased prior to holding any DL Amex.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:55 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by mnbp
With the DL Amex, the benefits accrue to the traveler's SkyMiles account while OP holds the card. In OP's example, OP won't have a DL Amex on the date of travel, so benefits would not be available.

Conversely, if OP were to acquire a DL Amex in Jan 2018 for example, DL Amex benefits would apply to a Feb 2018 trip - even if the trip was purchased prior to holding any DL Amex.
Cool thanks. Not having priority boarding and the checked bags is not enough of a disadvantage to keep my personal Amex Delta, so I think I'll cancel since the AF hit just now.
If the intro bonus is enticing enough, maybe I'll open up a business Amex Delta card in time for the trip then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.