Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emergency, lost passport. Stuck in seoul.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, DL Platinum

Somehow somewhere btw atl and ICN I have lost my passport. I am at the gate to get on my flight to Seattle but can not board. Can anyone please help me with information regarding getting a emergency passport here in Seoul?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I would go to the embassy of your home country in Seoul - or with the relevant passport office in Seoul, if you are a citizen of South Korea.
Without a passport, you won't be able to board an intl flight (esp. into the US).
The airline could be fined big time by US immigration authorities for transporting undocumented passengers into the US.

Somehow somewhere btw atl and ICN I have lost my passport.
This is very unlikely! How did you enter South Korea? Flying ATL-ICN, you have to pass Korean entry immigration checkpoints. Without a passport -> Korean immigration wouldn't let you in - unless you are a S. Korean citizen and have alternative forms of proving your citizenship.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
This is very unlikely! How did you enter South Korea? Flying ATL-ICN, you have to pass Korean entry immigration checkpoints.
The OP did not enter Korea. They are on a mileage run, flying ATL-ICN-SEA

Originally Posted by aspenedelen
I'm about to embark on a mileage run to ICN. My ATL to ICN UG cleared when I booked the flight 10 days ago but the leg returning (which still has five seats open) has not cleared. I fly ATL to ICN tomorrow morning flying in at 4:45pm then ICN to SEA leaving 6:50pm Friday afternoon.

Question is, is this situation usual for the UG not to clear this late in the game when there are five seats available and the flights leaves ICN tomorrow afternoon?

Appreciate any advice
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
To the OP: have you spoken to the airline agents? Have you alerted them to the possibility that your passport may have been stolen onboard? Have you arranged for them to search the plane?

Have you made sure to turn out every pocket and compartment of every piece of clothing and luggage you are carrying?

Good luck!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Can you see if there is anyone who can call the Embassy's emergency line - +82-(0)2-397-4114?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:16 am

how was the atl-icn flight? did they give out pajamas in delta one?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Go to your embassy!
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I'd point out to DL that with no passport they have to transport you back to the US. S Korea will refuse you entry with no passport. At that point it then is DL responsibility to fly you back to US.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:39 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I'd point out to DL that with no passport they have to transport you back to the US. S Korea will refuse you entry with no passport. At that point it then is DL responsibility to fly you back to US.
Would the OP first have to try to enter S Korea and then be sent back by their immigration authorities?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by TTT
Would the OP first have to try to enter S Korea and then be sent back by their immigration authorities?
My point was to get DL to realize its better to fly OP on back, then force OP to try and enter and be denied. At that point DL gets hit for having a passenger without documents refused entry and needs to fly them back anyway. Of course logic isnt airlines strong suit.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If OP is in Korea waiting for an onward flight, the passport was clearly not lost on the original outbound flight.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LondonElite
If OP is in Korea waiting for an onward flight, the passport was clearly not lost on the original outbound flight.
The OP is on a MR ATL-ICN and going right back to SEA
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:59 am

If the passenger is "at the gate," it means that they have not entered Korea, so there is no way to get to the embassy. The obvious solution is to speak with the gate agent. If that does not work, go to passport control and speak with them.

Make sure to write a complete trip report of the immigration holding cells if you get upgraded to a private suite.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:00 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyerCO
My point was to get DL to realize its better to fly OP on back, then force OP to try and enter and be denied. At that point DL gets hit for having a passenger without documents refused entry and needs to fly them back anyway. Of course logic isnt airlines strong suit.
Good point on the fine, I didn't think about that component. You're right, it might be tough to get someone on the ground in ICN to make that call though.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
This is very unlikely! How did you enter South Korea? Flying ATL-ICN, you have to pass Korean entry immigration checkpoints.
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
The OP is on a MR ATL-ICN and going right back to SEA
The OP did not enter Korea. They are on a mileage run, flying ATL-ICN-SEA
Best FF riddle ever?

I think OP's problem can be distilled down to "i lost/someone stole my passport on the plane"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.