Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emergency, lost passport. Stuck in seoul.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emergency, lost passport. Stuck in seoul.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
You just doubled down on your baseless condescension. You have no way of knowing what others may or may not know. Is it based on a published survey? Or just your made up point of view? How can you not realize that you DID call a group of people ignorant based on information you made up?
Not knowing something does not make one ignorant. You're the one making an insult with that comment. Guess erveryone knows everything in your world. Just because you and people you are around know a term doesn't mean others do also. Embassy is the far more recognizible term. I've meet plenty of people that had no clue what a consulate was/did. Can make up the fact that everyone knows the term consulate all you want. Since this is one of your favorite questions, where's your proof that people know this term so well. Especially proof for infrequent/one time international travellers.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Not knowing something does not make one ignorant. You're the one making an insult with that comment. Guess erveryone knows everything in your world. Just because you and people you are around know a term doesn't mean others do also. Embassy is the far more recognizible term. I've meet plenty of people that had no clue what a consulate was/did. Can make up the fact that everyone knows the term consulate all you want. Since this is one of your favorite questions, where's your proof that people know this term so well. Especially proof for infrequent/one time international travellers.
I should prove your made up statement is not true? I did not say everyone knows the term as you made up in your post. I pointed out your made up fiction its a generally unknown term is baseless. Your childish tantrum that it's true because it cannot be proven untrue is absurd. You made the statement, not me, so you must have some basis beyond a small sample you allege to have observed. Heck, I could claim elephants can fly then point out you cannot prove otherwise. Ridiculous.

As this is so far off topic, I'm done. Anyone who reads your statements now knows those are baseless, so there's no need to beat this dead horse. This goes back to the crud you made up about what happens when someone calls a Congressperson/Senator for help with a passport. The OP knows to ignore your fiction, so there is no need to continue this.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:40 am

I should prove your made up statement is not true? I did not say everyone knows the term as you made up in your post. I pointed out your made up fiction its a generally unknown term is baseless. Your childish tantrum that it's true because it cannot be proven untrue is absurd. You made the statement, not me, so you must have some basis beyond a small sample you allege to have observed. Heck, I could claim elephants can fly then point out you cannot prove otherwise. Ridiculous.

As this is so far off topic, I'm done. Anyone who reads your statements now knows those are baseless, so there's no need to beat this dead horse. This goes back to the crud you made up about what happens when someone calls a Congressperson/Senator for help with a passport. The OP knows to ignore your fiction, so there is no need to continue this.
Can you both please stop. This was a very nice 12 page thread and your squabbling will get it locked for no good reason.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:59 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
You just doubled down on your baseless condescension. You have no way of knowing what others may or may not know. Is it based on a published survey? Or just your made up point of view? How can you not realize that you DID call a group of people ignorant based on information you made up?
you might want to try decaf
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by expert7700
Agent at same day facility said I am likely the only US citzen with 2 valid, consecutvely numbered 52page passports. One is valid for 10yrs (so it will get multiple entry visas), and the other is valid for 4yrs (it gets presented for day to day stamps to non-visa countries).

No problem registering and having both active with TSA Pre and Nexus.

However, using them is not intended to ever be interchangable on the same trip:

1) Airlines can not seem to check me in for a return flight if I take the outbound with 1 passport and present the 2nd for the return flight.

2) Immigration will be baffled and likely delay/detain me trom leaving their country if they don't see me in their database as ever having arrived

3) Global Entry kiosks (and I assume the manual process with CBP) only process me if I let the machine scan the same passport that the airline used for Apis/boarding.

Even in light of the above, I am super glad to have both. One set for me and my 2 family members in the hotel safe, the other carried on our persons.
Ha interesting. Thanks for the info.

WHat you outlined is what I think would be the hassle of carrying 2 passports. As you mentioned, if you present 1 passport to one CBP officer and the 2nd one as you leave....then it can cause problems as the 2nd passport will be missing entry stamp into that country causing issues.

It looks like having 2 passports should only be the case where you are traveling out of the country while your 1st passport is being shipped out and/or diplomatic/special status. It would be an issue if one were to try to use 2 passports during the same in/out trip due to obvious immigration documentation mis-match and thus it appears that the lesson here is if you're clumsy and can lose passport the solution is NOT to get a 2nd backup one but be much more careful about keeping track of documents while traveling
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Right! I honestly thought I was having palpitations as I was sweating profusely and extremely hot even though I was in a cold environment. I must of looked like a hot mess of a 39 yr old.

Trust me, when I'm in my next international biz class seat I'm going to make sure I have a fire rated lockbox in my bag, hanging around my neck, one in my backpack and another few with the Attendant. Only kidding of course but I NEVER would like to experience what I experienced in Seoul again

​​​​​I am investing in Tile that will be taped to the inside of my passport. Has anyone ever tried this idea? In theory it'll work btw Tile and enabled phone and can be something like 60' away.
Are you sure it's OK to tape a tile to your passport? I would get a passport cover and tape the tile to that.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Someone might need a xanax.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by aspenedelen
Update: I am currently sitting in the Centurion Lounge here in Seattle while I wait for my 5:05 flight to Chicago.

Customs, where do I start. Since I already have GE I was able to use that line with no one in it. I then met with a Customs agent who took me to a back room where I presume secondary screening happens. After a ten or so min wait I was asked what happened. I explained the unique situation and after 10 or do min I was told I was good to go and they stamped the entry voucher. I then went downstairs where I was processed at a third room. About 15 min of further processingI was told "Welcome to Seattle".

I did ask the CBP agent if he has ever seen this happen (entry without a emergency passport from the consulate) and he told me no. He did say it is up to the airlines discretion to allow me onto their plane after proper vetting has occurred.
While I'm late to the party, this would have been my exact advice. This happened to me once (well, minus the mileage run part) and somehow I convinced them (UA in this case) to check me in anyway and board the plane with my DL as ID. Ironically, it was the easiest thing on earth when I got to the CBP agent - I guess I was too convincing with my story and panicked demeanor and he just stamped my customs form and said "make sure to report it lost". Done in under 30 seconds.

I can definitely empathize with the sense of panic. Congrats on making it home!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by ginmqi
WHat you outlined is what I think would be the hassle of carrying 2 passports. As you mentioned, if you present 1 passport to one CBP officer and the 2nd one as you leave....then it can cause problems as the 2nd passport will be missing entry stamp into that country causing issues.
presumably the very small % of people that have a/multiple second passport(s) are on top of things enough to remember which passport they used to enter a country, especially if it has an entry stamp in it
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:45 pm

In most cases the airlines are allowed to fly you, but the kicker is they are financially responsible (sometimes with penalties) for repatriating you if you don't enter the country. That is why in many cases, they are so particular about verifying documents.

This also applies even if you have the proper documents but are found inadmissible for one reason or another.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 1:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
I have had two passports, for the reason of needing a visa while traveling with the other.

I got both of them same-day, for different reasons. Both were with letters from my employer and proof of travel, and with an appointment made at a passport agency (with no calls to elected officials).

I have traveled with my primary for exit from the US (registered on DL website with the round trip ticket), and entry to the US on return at the GE kiosk, but on the same trip used the secondary for entry/exit in the country in which I had the visa. This caused me no issues, but that was 3 years ago so things may have changed.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Boy, I know the horrible sinking feeling you get when this happens. I was returning to the U.S. from Quebec City once, and as I approached checkin realized I had left my backpack in the cab. I ran back out thinking the cab would be in the pickup line, but no luck. I felt nauseated. Not only my passport, but my laptop was in there. Fortunately, there was an info desk right there at the airport, and two nice Canadians (are there any other kind?) sprang into action. I had a receipt with the taxi co. # on it, but no answer. So they called my hotel. Somehow, the bellmen knew from my general description who this driver was! The concierge called him--the driver had gone off duty after he dropped me. The concierge drove over to the driver's home, picked up my bag, and brought it to me at the airport! I only had CAN$20 left to give him, unfortunately. My kidneys ached afterwards from all the adrenaline I was releasing. So glad this situation worked out as well.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Originally Posted by expert7700
However, using them is not intended to ever be interchangable on the same trip:

1) Airlines can not seem to check me in for a return flight if I take the outbound with 1 passport and present the 2nd for the return flight.

2) Immigration will be baffled and likely delay/detain me trom leaving their country if they don't see me in their database as ever having arrived

3) Global Entry kiosks (and I assume the manual process with CBP) only process me if I let the machine scan the same passport that the airline used for Apis/boarding.

Even in light of the above, I am super glad to have both. One set for me and my 2 family members in the hotel safe, the other carried on our persons.
I understand with foreign immigration, but have never had trouble checking in or getting past GE kiosks by changing passports.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: HH, VA, QF, SQ, Air NZ
Originally Posted by pewpew
Look for a British consulate or embassy
Or Australian. We have a reciprocal arrangements between Canada/Australia if there are no embassies of each other in the country.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In some countries where the USA doesn't have an embassy (such as North Korea), certain consular functions are often handled through the embassy of a neutral-type third country such as Sweden. I can't think of a place where a USA citizen would approach a British embassy for such matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.