Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
The only real solution is expansion. Attempting to limit the access of people who already have it doesn't work. They will just find another way to get it or take their business elsewhere.

That said, business/first class lounges should always be a separate product from a paid membership club. IMO the Qantas setup is one of the best models out there. For a business class lounge, packed or empty, the SkyClub is an inadequate product and does not achieve the industry standard.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
The only real solution is expansion. Attempting to limit the access of people who already have it doesn't work. They will just find another way to get it or take their business elsewhere.

That said, business/first class lounges should always be a separate product from a paid membership club. IMO the Qantas setup is one of the best models out there. For a business class lounge, packed or empty, the SkyClub is an inadequate product and does not achieve the industry standard.
AA and UA both have separate lounges. Why doesn't DL?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
AA and UA both have separate lounges. Why doesn't DL?
I don't have a good answer for that. My best guess would be because AA and UA retain first class, and thus for a while kept dedicated F lounges. As both transition away from F, we've seen the lounges realigned to serve as dedicated J and F lounges.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:25 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
We're talking about a handful of clubs, at a narrow window each day. Sure, it's probably a hit, but nowhere near enough to warrant a return to how things were. Who's to say that the revenue wouldn't be made up by people choosing to buy memberships, or getting the Reserve card as a result of this change?
Who's to say those people don't get mad that delta is blocking a benefit they are entitled to and just switch to another airline? I mean, we can think up hypotheticals all day, the fact is those guys contribute. Why not block diamonds who don't have a paid membership?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
Who's to say those people don't get mad that delta is blocking a benefit they are entitled to and just switch to another airline? I mean, we can think up hypotheticals all day, the fact is those guys contribute. Why not block diamonds who don't have a paid membership?
DMs are verified, HV customers to DL (yes, even the ones who get status from CCs).

We don't know about those on Amex swipes. Many could be loyalists, or merely free-agents flying on the best fare. We don't have access to that data.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: ba silver
Then again this is true for most North American carrier lounges. U.S. airline executives should spend time in foreign airline lounges, particularly the LH F terminal or the Gulf carrier lounges to see what real F/J lounges should be. Then again U.S airlines are more about selling memberships than accommodating premium fliers. It's good too see United trying to catch up with their one Polaris lounge but still U.S. airlines have a long way to go.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
DMs are verified, HV customers to DL (yes, even the ones who get status from CCs).

We don't know about those on Amex swipes. Many could be loyalists, or merely free-agents flying on the best fare. We don't have access to that data.
It would reasonable to limit access to some clubs to prevent AMEX Platinum card holders at peak international J times if they are not also at least Silver Medallion or on a paid domestic F ticket. I'm not sure about JFK T4, but both at DTW A40 and ATL E and F there are still other clubs very close by that could be used.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by stevendorechester
Then again this is true for most North American carrier lounges. U.S. airline executives should spend time in foreign airline lounges, particularly the LH F terminal or the Gulf carrier lounges to see what real F/J lounges should be.
How many of those lounges does LH have? In how few airports? It would be easy enough for Delta to have premium lounges at ATL, JFK, LAX, DTW, SEA and MSP. It would be a medium-term real estate acquisition project, but manageable. Delta One long-haul tickets only. No companions, no children if they're not ticketed in D1. No Diamonds. No memberships. No partner flights. Who wants to outline the financials to demonstrate there's a positive ROIC for Delta?

The root of exclusive is exclude. When the OP got excluded he could offer another entirely non-specific criticism, aka whine.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by cmd320
The only real solution is expansion. ...
Nature abhors a vacuum. And one must expect that DL abhors a club that is not filled to capacity.

Larger clubs would just mean that DL would search for other ways to monetize the practice of keeping clubs overcrowded.

Just keep in mind that the prime reason for the clubs is not to provide you a comfortable place to wait for flights. The prime reason is to generate income.

The current dynamics will remain so long as the concourse is a more miserable place to wait and folks are willing to pay for an escape offering incremental improvements.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Nature abhors a vacuum. And one must expect that DL abhors a club that is not filled to capacity.

Larger clubs would just mean that DL would search for other ways to monetize the practice of keeping clubs overcrowded.

Just keep in mind that the prime reason for the clubs is not to provide you a comfortable place to wait for flights. The prime reason is to generate income.

The current dynamics will remain so long as the concourse is a more miserable place to wait and folks are willing to pay for an escape offering incremental improvements.
I'm not so sure. The new clubs built in SFO and SEA are actually quite nice and I've never seen the SEA club crowded in the thirty or so times I have visited it. There is never a problem finding a place to sit and the food options don't look picked over.

OTOH, I do see what you mean when I visit ATL. The new B club just isn't as nice as the SFO and SEA clubs, which is odd since ATL is Delta's home. Plus, the food really does look picked over.

I'm hoping that when SLC is built, that they will put in a club on the order of SFO and SEA. I'm assuming they are going to get a new club there. Anyone know that for sure?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm not so sure. The new clubs built in SFO and SEA are actually quite nice and I've never seen the SEA club crowded in the thirty or so times I have visited it. There is never a problem finding a place to sit and the food options don't look picked over.

OTOH, I do see what you mean when I visit ATL. The new B club just isn't as nice as the SFO and SEA clubs, which is odd since ATL is Delta's home. Plus, the food really does look picked over.

I'm hoping that when SLC is built, that they will put in a club on the order of SFO and SEA. I'm assuming they are going to get a new club there. Anyone know that for sure?
I have been very disappointed with the new B club in ATL. It always seems overcrowded and it leaves the impression that they have stretched the concept of economy of scale beyond reasonable bounds.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have been very disappointed with the new B club in ATL. It always seems overcrowded and it leaves the impression that they have stretched the concept of economy of scale beyond reasonable bounds.
Have yet to be there when it is not overly crowded (15+ times).
Hell it's a beatdown to do anything in the A and B terminals (restroom, food, cocktail).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I just wish the lounges in the USA would have a designated smoking area like they do at many locations in Europe.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: First and Last time ever DL DM
I really enjoy the KAL lounge in TBIT @ LAX. Hardly anyone ever there, better food than the LAX Skyclub previously and currently has, and all you can drink!

I read somewhere else that the catering sucks, but I don't find it to be a problem. I prefer to just be left alone. And with no one ever there I can really just lounge.

If Delta rolls out a Skyclub in TBIT and we lose access to the KAL lounge, that will be a terrible day.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 3:47 pm

The Sky Club in JFK T4 isn't so bad if you can find some peace on the sky deck i.e. before the masses turn up around 3 o'clock ish. Once that happens, the whole lounge is a glorified train station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.