Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by rylan

Its an airport, what do you want? I think DL has done a pretty good job overall with the skyclubs. Sure there are locations that at times are rough and can be handled better, but most arent' like that.
Careful, its a US AIRPORT. Many of the best lounges in the world are in airports, just not in the US.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Correct, I implied US.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I think a dress code would go a long way. Yesterday at ATL T the bartender welcomed back what must be a regular patron. He looked like a beach bum. Hopefully he owns his own business or only travels for leisure. I would hate to know my company was being represented by someone who can't be bothered to comb their hair or put on some decent clothes.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I think a dress code would go a long way. Yesterday at ATL T the bartender welcomed back what must be a regular patron. He looked like a beach bum. Hopefully he owns his own business or only travels for leisure. I would hate to know my company was being represented by someone who can't be bothered to comb their hair or put on some decent clothes.
There is a dress code, it's just never enforced. Probably the same guy who was blasting a movie in the same SC a few weeks ago.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jul 21, 2017 at 8:57 pm
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
There is a dress code, it's just never enforced. Probably the same guy who was blasting a move in the same SC a few weeks ago.
Was he blasting a move or busting a move? This is extremely important to Young MC...
Old Jul 21, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
Was he blasting a move or busting a move? This is extremely important to Young MC...
I laughed a bit
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:02 am

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
First SC I went to was the one in SEA, so I just assumed others were going to be just similar to the experience I had there. Oh, Boy was I wrong when I wound up in SLC on the return... the chairs looked like they had been used for over a decade, they had these tiny little paper plates for what snacks they had. Having gone to SEA SC this was a huge disappointment, and by what you all are saying other airports have these types of SC too. In SEA they actually had real plates, warm food, and it felt clean. Although I do have to say that SLC had nicer staff, I guess that it may just feel like it because it's smaller.

I must confess, I'm a swiper of the Amex Plat card. Hate me if you must, but I don't fly enough a year to warrant buying the SC membership. And I doubt me visiting one every few months is part of the problem of overcrowded lounges.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by rylan
You know, some people are never going to be pleased with the skyclub unless its turned into something akin to a country club where you walk in and there are only a dozen other members and the staff knows everyone...

Its a US airport, what do you want? I think DL has done a pretty good job overall with the skyclubs. Sure there are locations that at times are rough and can be handled better, but most arent' like that.
Getting away from an environment that is crowded and busy is like at least half of what makes a lounge. Airlines know this and hence they advertise lounges with phrases like:

"Looking for a retreat before your flight?" (Delta)
"While waiting for your flight, recharge in a relaxing environment" (United)
"When you enter our lounge you are greeted with calm and tranquil surroundings..." (BA)

To achieve that type of experience you need to restrict access a bit to keep the crowds under control. Credit card deals make that a lot harder because those numbers aren't as easily calculated as premium class flyers on a given day at a given time in a given terminal.

At the moment these U.S. lounges often say "same atmosphere as the rest of the airport but more yuppies and less poor people". In fact, the JFK T4 Sky Club may be louder and busier than some other parts of the airport in mid afternoon. That can't be the goal, can it?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I'm SFO based, and primarily stay in the western US. I'm mostly happy with the clubs.

I access them with my Amex card, and would be quite unhappy to find my access blocked when I pay $550 a year for the card. I would guess that there are lots of us who are mid-level elites, meaning that we are loyal to delta though not with super high spend, who access the lounge in this way rather than with a membership, because of the other perks of the card.

I hope they don't open a D1 lounge network, because I think that will only hurt the main product. They should, however, expand capacity where needed.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
Getting away from an environment that is crowded and busy is like at least half of what makes a lounge. Airlines know this and hence they advertise lounges with phrases like:

"Looking for a retreat before your flight?" ...
Ad agencies and advertisers work under the same common premise... that we are all gullible fools.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Ad agencies and advertisers work under the same common premise... that we are all gullible fools.
Yes gullible fools and obnoxious tools are the primary residents of the Sky Club.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I'm SFO based, and primarily stay in the western US. I'm mostly happy with the clubs.

I access them with my Amex card, and would be quite unhappy to find my access blocked when I pay $550 a year for the card. I would guess that there are lots of us who are mid-level elites, meaning that we are loyal to delta though not with super high spend, who access the lounge in this way rather than with a membership, because of the other perks of the card.

I hope they don't open a D1 lounge network, because I think that will only hurt the main product. They should, however, expand capacity where needed.
Exactly.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I do not share the OP's experience. I enjoy the RDU SC which unless you're there in the evening around the CDG flight it's almost always empty. I even like the hub clubs including ATL where I can grab a drink and a snack and use a decent bathroom. Hell, the food is almost good enough for a full meal now. Maybe I'm just not running into standing room only or loud DYKWIAs on their phones but I still enjoy every SC visit I make.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 4:46 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have been very disappointed with the new B club in ATL. It always seems overcrowded and it leaves the impression that they have stretched the concept of economy of scale beyond reasonable bounds.
I would agree. The new club is nicer that the two clubs it replaced. But, it's nowhere near the level of SEA or SFO. Plus, the food served at SEA is still better than anything served in any club in ATL.

I also don't like how the entrances to the bathrooms are in the middle of the club. Nothing like being able to see who is coming and going to the restroom.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:00 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by WWads
AA and UA both have separate lounges. Why doesn't DL?
Because Delta is a first class airline. As a lifetime SkyClub+Admirals Club+United Club member who also holds an Amex Plat (long story) Delta offers the best airline lounge program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.