Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Sky Club doesn't seem to be very pleasurable experience these days

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by apodo77
Am I the only one?
No, you aren't. Sometimes I just go in for a couple glasses of Coke Zero and to grab a newspaper then leave because:

1. The lounges are overcrowded -- no better than before all the changes, what three years ago?

2. The food is improved, but most of the lounges have stupid little plates that can't even fit a salad on it.

3. Magazines aren't nearly as common anymore.

4. Most importantly, many lounges have stopped serving individual, sealed packets of yogurt at breakfast. It's common just to have a bowl of communal yogurt -- sometimes not even refrigerated -- on the breakfast bar. Yuck.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have been very disappointed with the new B club in ATL. It always seems overcrowded and it leaves the impression that they have stretched the concept of economy of scale beyond reasonable bounds.
Yeah. I would have rather they split it up into two smaller clubs.

If I have enough time, I just go to the upstairs of the lounge in the international terminal.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
There's a simpler answer - dedicated Delta One lounges - no travelers on partner airlines business class tickets, no guests of travelers, no Diamonds, no SkyClub members. If you can't produce a "same day" Delta One ticket, you get politely redirected to a SkyClub.

Drop them in Delta's major international hubs - ATL, DTW, MSP, SEA, PHL ( )

Problem solved. You're welcome.
PHL, huh? PHL isn't a major international DL hub. Heck, BOS isn't a major international DL hub but has WAY more DL TATL flights than PHL.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
If OP and others are having an issue with the DL SCs, then please don't come to the new Seattle SC. It's crowded at all times, the food options are terrible and always picked over, the restrooms smell and there is absolutely no seating across the two levels. Abhorrently terrible space.

Staff are terrible. Do yourself a favor and don't fly through Seattle.

Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bj27
If OP and others are having an issue with the DL SCs, then please don't come to the new Seattle SC. It's crowded at all times, the food options are terrible and always picked over, the restrooms smell and there is absolutely no seating across the two levels. Abhorrently terrible space.

Staff are terrible. Do yourself a favor and don't fly through Seattle.

Perhaps you were being facetious, but the SEA SC is actually the best SC I've ever been to. Full hot breakfast options (scrambled eggs, sausages, etc), very large, clean, etc.

Which begs the question - why is it a different experience when you go to different SC's? Why aren't all SC's the same to give a seamless branded experience?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: DL -DM / 2MM, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
No, you aren't. Sometimes I just go in for a couple glasses of Coke Zero and to grab a newspaper then leave because:
Exactly. The clubs in DTW and MSP have been so bad for the last 5 years that I do exactly that, i.e. grab a paper and walk out to find a quiet gate where I can get some space. I'm getting ready to walk on a crowded plane and don't need another zoo to sit in. The swipers ruined everything.....
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
The MCO club is nice in the morning and evening hours. The afternoon hours usually bring about some undesirable characters.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I have been very disappointed with the new B club in ATL. It always seems overcrowded and it leaves the impression that they have stretched the concept of economy of scale beyond reasonable bounds.
That long corridor before reaching the check in counters is a huge waste of space. The should have placed the check in counters closer to the stairs and elevator and then they would have had more space for seating. They clearly went for style over function.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Perhaps you were being facetious, but the SEA SC is actually the best SC I've ever been to. Full hot breakfast options (scrambled eggs, sausages, etc), very large, clean, etc.

Which begs the question - why is it a different experience when you go to different SC's? Why aren't all SC's the same to give a seamless branded experience?
Yeah, I'm surprised that DL hasn't mailed a $200 gift card to every resident of Seattle yet.

It's all about how much DL values that station, and/or how much competition they face. There's a reason why the MSP and SLC clubs are dumps. CVG is reasonably nice, but will probably never be updated again. Still has the Clown Room plaque at the entrance.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent

Extremely facetious.

IMO I think the SEA SC is currently the the best in the system.

I think the differences do lie in Delta's commitment to those specific stations. As far as I know, each station manager (or SC manager) can make decisions with corporate input and budget. I'm assuming SEA has received the lion's share of DL'S investments in comparison to other stations.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I would be happy to pay $500-$1000 a year for an exclusive lounge. No free admittance unless you're on an international D1 business class ticket. No guests. No BS. No one-time entrance fee. Basically a BE lounge back again.

The Skydumps are awful. They have been for years. Whats even more sad is the entitlement among many within the overcrowded clubs, as though somehow being among so many makes them special. Just listen to the convos at the front desk over an hour period, you will be rolling your eyes.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:02 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
That long corridor before reaching the check in counters is a huge waste of space. The should have placed the check in counters closer to the stairs and elevator and then they would have had more space for seating. They clearly went for style over function.
so you want a long corridor full of furniture and people all spread out that everyone has to navigate through before they can get into the club?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
so you want a long corridor full of furniture and people all spread out that everyone has to navigate through before they can get into the club?
I'm not sure when I struck a nerve of yours but you seem to be reacting negatively to all of my posts. No, obviously you wouldn't have a corridor, you would just integrate the extra space into the open concept of the rest of the club. Just like all the other clubs.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
Actually, I find them better now (several new sky clubs) and less crowded than let's say, five years ago, when they could be worse than just sitting at the gate.
I am in agreement with this. Maybe I just fly at better times but I've only seen the B club in ATL crowded a couple times. And definitely usable. And while the food isn't awesome I've rarely seen it to the point of being picked over and gone. This is at any club in ATL.

This is one real question. Really they just need to go with the SEA quality and just make sure ALL are performing like that. This is something I do agree with as there are all kinds of different food options and prepared to different quality levels. If SEA has eggs, sausage and more why does ATL have Oatmeal(maybe grits) and a tray of Hard Boiled Eggs(and of course bread/bagels).

I think the idea of making them nice where they have major competition is the reason but ATL is home and they can't even make it equal to SEA?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You know, some people are never going to be pleased with the skyclub unless its turned into something akin to a country club where you walk in and there are only a dozen other members and the staff knows everyone...

Its a US airport, what do you want? I think DL has done a pretty good job overall with the skyclubs. Sure there are locations that at times are rough and can be handled better, but most arent' like that.

Last edited by rylan; Jul 21, 2017 at 8:16 pm Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.