Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye NRT-PVG, hello ATL-PVG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I didn't forget anything. Though it should be pointed out that YYZ-PVG is served nonstop by two carriers, and that NYC and ORD would also compete quite naturally with DTW as a connection point.
I actually agree with this. Because of ORD and NYC they can't just shove some ATL based traffic to replace routes previously served in MSP/DTW.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
The MSP Airport Commission pays InterVISTAS Consulting to do competitive analysis every 18 months. That report and the in-person presentation is a matter of public record. Those numbers are from a presentation that just happened on July 17th.
Thanks! Was hoping there was a site that had those numbers for all airports.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL G, UA G, IHG SA
This flight is too long. I would rather take a break at a connecting airport. I will vote for JFK-PVG.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by luek096
This flight is too long. I would rather take a break at a connecting airport. I will vote for JFK-PVG.
ATL-PVG is only 300 miles longer than JFK-PVG.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: Delta FO
I wonder if Delta might debut the 777 Delta One suites on this route?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by WWads
ATL-PVG is only 300 miles longer than JFK-PVG.
And, on average, can make up most of that 30 minutes vs the NYC air traffic issues.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I continue to be amazed that Delta is upping xxx-PVG capacity given the total lack of gates there. For some reason, other SkyTeam partners (AF, KE, etc.) can provide real gates and jetways and Delta prefers to go on the cheap, force their passengers to stand in 100 degree REAL temperature, lug bags up and down stairs, and ride crappy buses around the tarmac instead of paying for the gates. I know PVG is working on another terminal but that is YEARS and YEARS away. The whole experience (other than the new MU lounge there) is a C*F*.

I would NEVER use PVG as a connection point.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DL-Don
I continue to be amazed that Delta is upping xxx-PVG capacity given the total lack of gates there.
They're not in terms of frequencies/flights as they're dropping NRT-PVG. They have to drop something as US carriers have maxed out their allocation of flights to China Zones 1-2 under the bilateral (the only exception being a 7x weekly carve out to CAN).
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I continue to be amazed that Delta is upping xxx-PVG capacity given the total lack of gates there. For some reason, other SkyTeam partners (AF, KE, etc.) can provide real gates and jetways and Delta prefers to go on the cheap, force their passengers to stand in 100 degree REAL temperature, lug bags up and down stairs, and ride crappy buses around the tarmac instead of paying for the gates. I know PVG is working on another terminal but that is YEARS and YEARS away. The whole experience (other than the new MU lounge there) is a C*F*.

I would NEVER use PVG as a connection point.
DL pays fpr gates. Its a matter of where MU assigns them. For some reason MU feels its better to park the plane at remote station, then tp use an empty jetway and move plane for parking once unloaded. AF/KLM also have this happen. Last week there was no planes at jetways, yet my KL 787 was parked at bus gate to unload.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
One would think Wall Street-types wouldn't fly China Eastern to their fund or firm's Shanghai office. United is a grab shoot, I suppose.
A lot of the "Wall Street-types" are UA flyers because of EWR's proximity to Wall Street and the fact that UA has the most destinations from NYC. A lot of them are choosing EWR over even LGA for short flights due to current construction at LGA.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:10 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL pays fpr gates. Its a matter of where MU assigns them. For some reason MU feels its better to park the plane at remote station, then tp use an empty jetway and move plane for parking once unloaded. AF/KLM also have this happen. Last week there was no planes at jetways, yet my KL 787 was parked at bus gate to unload.
Believe what you want but money talks. Every time I have been there, all DL planes were at the remote stands and the other SkyTeam partners had gates. Coincidence? I doubt it.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Believe what you want but money talks. Every time I have been there, all DL planes were at the remote stands and the other SkyTeam partners had gates. Coincidence? I doubt it.
Last time I was there, my 744 to DTW boarded from a gate. An AF 777 was at a remote stand. In fact, come to think of it, I've never deplaned at a remote stand at PVG either, on Delta. DTW, LAX and NRT.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:14 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Delta is in the business of moving people.
Is it? Isn't it that Dullta is more into the business of selling SlyMiles and then massively devaluating it (basically, bait and switch / scam artist practices)? Flying is just something DL does on the side, to give the illusion of use to SlyMiles..
Old Jul 23, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Considering how much i transit PVG, Ive learned it's MU. Happens on AF/KL also. Its just MU ground handling laziness. If the plane isn't turnning right around they park at bus stand, despite all jetways being open. If immediate turn around then it goes tp a jetway.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
They aren't lazy, but real estate is scarce. Right now 185/186 LAX-PVG-LAX is the only "turning" aircraft of the 4 DL flights at PVG so, it usually gets the gate. Everything else RON's so its usually on a hardstand, but sometimes we get lucky and they can tow it to a gate for boarding / deplaning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.