Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
On 26SEPT17 Delta changed the MQD AMEX exempt requirements. $25,000 only exempts you to Platinum or lower. $250,000 spend needed across ALL the DL AMEX cards you hold (personal and business in your name) for Diamond exemption for 2019 elite year.

If all you are interested in is the discussion starting when the announcement occurred on Tuesday, September 26, 2017, start here.

The Delta announcement is here https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/news-and-updates.html

There are many data points that Delta will allow a one time exception under the 2017 qualification rules if you request this for the 2019 Medallion year.
Print Wikipost

Delta increasing Diamond MQD Waiver to $250,000

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, GOES
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
It always struck me that there should be different Amex spend thresholds for the waiver for DM and lower levels. What about $25k for PM and below, and $50k for DM?
Considering that the Reserve has MQM+SM bumps at $30K and $60K, I could at least see some logic here (from an AMEX POV) versus striking the DM waiver altogether. In fact, I could see an increase in AMEX Reserve spend overall, as there would be DMs who were qualifying at $25K waiver, with enough BIS for 125K, so may not have used the card to hit $60K spend for the 2nd bump.

But if DL's goal is to thin the herd, well, this should do it. Hmm... bigger picture.... DL's real goal as we know is to hit 80% paid F... which leaves a good number of DMs not getting UGs. If they lower the # of Dm's....
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
It always struck me that there should be different Amex spend thresholds for the waiver for DM and lower levels. What about $25k for PM and below, and $50k for DM?
Kind of my thinking too. Or just get away from waivers for good.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: Blinged Out
The rules of the game change- it's part of it, but with that being said, it certainly is becoming more difficult to remain loyal to any single airline.

Given the constant devaluations across every US FF program, it sure makes it easier to flirt with the ME3.

I will make PM organically regardless of card spend, so it is quite tempting to cancel the DL Co-branded credit cards, move that portion of spend over to Chase CSR and just shop for the best first/biz class fares...
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ograff
This is quite the devaluation. I'm going to hit DM with about 7 or 8K in spend this year, and the Amex waiver. I will absolutely be writing and calling in as Rene suggests. I certainly hope the group outcry has an effect.
LOL, it will have the same effect that it had at UA when MP members protested about the many devaluations there.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
So we are to believe the population of DM members using the MQD waiver for status is roughly equal to the number of Costco members who held Costco Amex cards? Sorry, but I'm pretty confident there are several orders of magnitude in difference there.
Not just those who held Costco Amex cards. Those who held ANY Amex card. I never had a Costco Amex card in my life, but I can say I haven't been in a Costco since the switch.

We are talking about even more than 'several' orders of magnitude of difference in these two scenarios IMHO.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by Worldtraveler727
I'd be interested to know how big of a problem this really is. How many people are able to fly 125k miles for less than $15k? They should get diamond as a consolation prize as that would be miserable.
It's nice in the years when BIS miles are lower than usual (like this one) to be able to use rollover + AMEX spend to keep at DM for the following year. In a normal year, my BIS miles exceed the $15k threshold quite a bit. Paying for international J does that. Not sure what DL gains by my ditching my AMEX (which I will consider if this pans out, but there are the MQM to consider too) but ok.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I've never needed the the CC spend waiver. This will only affect me when I retire in about 5 years. I plan on most flying F & J then anyway.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 7:57 am

I think I can sum up the two camps

1) Yeah! This thins the heard, and I'll get more upgrades!
2) This is the worst kind of discrimination...the kind against me!

I will say that everyone wants fewer Medallion members, just so long as they don't take away the way that you personally get your status.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Would LOVE to be wrong on this one - sadly I am not.

There is limited time to make voices known or this will become the new policy.
This assumes that one is against the proposed policy and I am not.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by indufan
This assumes that one is against the proposed policy and I am not.
Oh sure. There will be many THRILLED with this change i.e. those who spend (or has company spend) over 15k in MQD.

If this change is a net positive for $DAL and $AXP that is another question.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
Answering earlier question WorldTrvl -

Flights to SIN, BKK or KUL via NRT OR to JNB from East Coast achieve approx. 20,000 miles. They cost typically under $1,200 coach (due to route competition vs. other carriers) depending how far in advance they are acquired.
It is possible to take 5 of these flights within a year or with some combination of roll-over and obtain 125,000 flying miles for under $15k.
recently bought NYC-SIN for under $650. 6 of these flights would get me DM for under $4k
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:23 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
This would block me from Diamond. I fly and spend at a Platinum level. I use the MQM boosts and MQD waiver to make Diamond.

For Amex: If this happens, I'll downgrade my Delta Amex card and use it a lot less. I might give it up altogether. If you exclude the MQD waiver, I get more value out of my Chase card.

For Delta: I'm not angry about the proposed change. Business is business. But if I'm not Diamond, I don't care as much about being on Delta when the fares aren't equal. For example, I'm heading to Dallas in a few weeks with my daughter. I paid more for Delta over American because Delta takes care of me in a pinch due to my status. Post-Amex waiver change (assuming it happens), why not take the cheaper fare?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:28 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by kop84
I think I can sum up the two camps

1) Yeah! This thins the heard, and I'll get more upgrades!
2) This is the worst kind of discrimination...the kind against me!

I will say that everyone wants fewer Medallion members, just so long as they don't take away the way that you personally get your status.
This, exactly. It's NOT a "devaluation" just because it affects you personally negatively. Devaluations affect everyone. Policy changes like this benefit some people and are hence not devaluations.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:29 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I mean if flyertalk is going to just devolve into a place where everyone only talks about what would be good for them personally, getting rid of MQMs and waivers and using straight MQDs would be a huge boon for me since I fly a lot of short trips on relatively expensive fares.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pvn
This, exactly. It's NOT a "devaluation" just because it affects you personally negatively. Devaluations affect everyone. Policy changes like this benefit some people and are hence not devaluations.
SkyMiles 2019: The single top spender on Delta gets a pass for him/her and spouse/kids for unlimited free travel in business class. Nobody else earns miles anymore, or receives any sort of rewards for flying. Still not a devaluation, since it benefits somebody?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.