FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Please help explain delta connection (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1854316-please-help-explain-delta-connection.html)

steph1989 Jul 16, 2017 4:49 pm

Please help explain delta connection

Hello,

I am an inexperienced flyer and have a flight booked in August from Winnipeg to Orlando. I booked through expedia with delta airlines.

On the way there, we fly on a Delta flight operated by Westjet:

Winnipeg to Toronto (2h 20 min layover)
Toronto to Orlando

Return (Delta and SkyWest Delta):

Orlando to Minneapolis (50 min layover)
Minneapolis to Winnipeg

My concern is that I am unfamiliar with the process of connecting flights and especially with such a short layover on the return flights. I want to be sure I know what to do since we don't have time to waste. When we land in Minneapolis, what do we do? My thoughts are we go to baggage claim, through customs, then drop off bags again, through security and to our new gate? Are these the correct steps?

Also, how close are baggage claim, customs and security in the Minneapolis airport? Is it possible for us to make this connection?

Thank you for your help.

RobertS975 Jul 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Orlando to Minneapolis. ..you simply get off, find out the gate for your Winnepeg flight and promptly go to it. Your luggage will be checked through and you claim it in Winnepeg. That is where you clear Canadian immigration and Customs.

Going down via Toronto, you will claim your luggage and then Prentice yourself and luggage for US pre-clearance in Toronto.

davetravels Jul 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk Delta Forum! :)

Returning to Canada, your bags will be transferred for you automatically from the first flight to the second flight.

Returning to Canada, you'll go through customs and immigration in Canada, not in Minneapolis.

You will not have to go through security again in Minneapolis. You'll just get off the first plane, and go to the gate for the second flight. You will arrive from Orlando on the secure side of the airport.

steph1989 Jul 16, 2017 9:57 pm

Thank you! That sounds a lot easier than I imagined!

Mountain Explorer Jul 17, 2017 12:17 am

50 mins should be fine, but don't drag your feet. When you get off, confirm which gate you need to be at using the tv monitors or the gate agent (gates change often, so double check in MSP). Then make your way there without delay. The only special procedure you'll have to do is to show your passport as you board the flight to Winnipeg, so keep it handy.

CJKatl Jul 17, 2017 12:47 am

If you arrive and depart in Concourses A, B, C or D and need to travel a distance from gate to gate, you might want to hop of the train. If you are arrive and/or depart on Concourse E, F or G, which are not served by the train, need to travel a distance from gate to gate and are concerned about time, jump on an electric cart. Let the driver know you are pressed for time. People erroneously believe you need to have a handicap to jump on a cart. That's not true. The cart will get you to the gate quickly. I've made a five minute connection from C to G using the cart. Tip the driver for his/her assistance.

steph1989 Jul 17, 2017 2:51 am

Thanks for the tips!

Forgive me if the answer to this is obvious, but is there a reason why I will need to get my bags and preclear customs in Toronto but not in Minneapolis?

Thank you.

GrayAnderson Jul 17, 2017 3:01 am

Originally Posted by steph1989 (Post 28569538)
Thanks for the tips!

Forgive me if the answer to this is obvious, but is there a reason why I will need to get my bags and preclear customs in Toronto but not in Minneapolis?

Thank you.

Because Toronto-Winnipeg is a domestic (intra-Canadian) flight while Minneapolis-Winnipeg is an international (US-to-Canada) flight. With few exceptions you clear Customs and Immigration at your first port of entry.

flyerCO Jul 17, 2017 3:03 am

Originally Posted by steph1989 (Post 28569538)
Thanks for the tips!

Thank you.

US does US immigration and customs at most Canadian airports. It means you arrive in the US like a domestic flight. No reclearing security, etc

Canada doesn't operate such a program.

flyerCO Jul 17, 2017 3:08 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 28569555)
Because Toronto-Winnipeg is a domestic (intra-Canadian) flight while Minneapolis-Winnipeg is an international (US-to-Canada) flight. With few exceptions you clear Customs and Immigration at your first port of entry.

This does nothing to answer her question. Also she's flying Winnipeg-Toronto not reverse.

GrayAnderson Jul 17, 2017 4:24 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28569569)
This does nothing to answer her question. Also she's flying Winnipeg-Toronto not reverse.

Point. I'm going to blame the hour...

...but the answer is still closely related: You don't preclear heading into the US until your last airport on the way in (since if you did the US Customs folks would be processing a bunch of pax who aren't actually entering the US).

flyerCO Jul 17, 2017 4:46 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 28569707)
Point. I'm going to blame the hour...

...but the answer is still closely related: You don't preclear heading into the US until your last airport on the way in (since if you did the US Customs folks would be processing a bunch of pax who aren't actually entering the US).

I'll blame the hour also. Jet lagged and no luggage on top of it. Could have phrased that reply a bit better.

Pharaoh Jul 17, 2017 6:42 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975 (Post 28568144)
Orlando to Minneapolis. ..you simply get off, find out the gate for your Winnepeg flight and promptly go to it. Your luggage will be checked through and you claim it in Winnepeg. That is where you clear Canadian immigration and Customs.

Going down via Toronto, you will claim your luggage and then Prentice yourself and luggage for US pre-clearance in Toronto.

I'm still googling to figure out what this is?

pvn Jul 17, 2017 6:50 am

have you heard of autocorrect?

Mountain Explorer Jul 17, 2017 6:53 am

Originally Posted by Pharaoh (Post 28569992)
I'm still googling to figure out what this is?

Clearly it's: Present yourself