Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skyclub Executive membership must be flying delta to enter lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP75K

I have an executive membership. Last night I was flying Alaska thru PDX. And I went to the Skyclub. After checking in the lady asked what flight I was on. I said I'm on Alaska. She in the future you will need to be flying delta to use the membership. I never heard that before. So I questioned her. She said they want to make the club more exclusive. And she said that everyone at delta knows about it. Look for emails soon..... I was little taken aback. You pay for membership then can't use it. I searched on flyertalk and didn't find anything. Has anyone else heard this?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Nope. Not a change I see DL making. Like normal employee not knowledgeable in their own company policy.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:48 am

I don't buy that being a change, and if it were a change I'd expect a refund - hence my inability to believe they've made that change. I rarely fly delta these days, but I fly through SLC quite often - I feel certain an attendant would have made mention of this change already.

I will hopefully be back through SLC soon - on an AA flight, most likely - and will update this post if my assumption turns out to be inaccurate.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:04 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The SEA Lounge dragons are a bit on edge anytime you fly through on AS. Last time there we were connecting to an AS flight to YLW and they said we weren't able to come in because we were flying AS on our connection. I pointed out that it shouldn't matter because at the time two of us had an executive membership and we were bringing in guests. After some argument another agent allowed us in. I think they are just wrong, or they've gotten their hands smacked for allowing in non-members flying AS after there was reciprocal agreements. I believe the agent was totally wrong and not up to speed on his/her rules.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Plat Amex and DL Amex Reserve cards both require that you are flying DL in order to get access. I wouldn't be surprised if they were getting confused between those terms and the SC membership ones. How actively do they enforce the Amex card requirements? Maybe the memo was just about more regularly enforcing those existing requirements for the Amex cardholders and the lounge attendants didn't really read it carefully enough.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: DL DM
Taken directly from delta.com

"Delta Sky Club Members can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel but such travel may be on any airline."

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml#paymentplan
Old Jul 13, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
Taken directly from delta.com

"Delta Sky Club Members can only use the Club in conjunction with same-day ticketed air travel but such travel may be on any airline."

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml#paymentplan
Yes, we know those are the current terms. The issue brought up by the OP is s that the SEA lounge attendants apparently believe this will be changing in the near future.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LBJ
Yes, we know those are the current terms. The issue brought up by the OP is s that the SEA lounge attendants apparently believe this will be changing in the near future.
Completely true, however until DL can provide something to the contrary in print, I would politely reference this link to a lounge attendant if push back was received on club admittance when flying OAL.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP75K
Just an FYI.... This happened in PDX at 10pm. On a SEA-PDX-MKE itinerary. Maybe the agent was told that the skyclub member must be ticketed for a flight that day. And she understood that to be a delta only flight. I know United Club require a same day boarding pass. Delta as of now does not.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
If that's the case, they're selling exactly zero SkyClub memberships in the near-future.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I highly doubt that will be a new change. Never say never in the new world of enhancements though.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scklumb
Just an FYI.... This happened in PDX at 10pm. On a SEA-PDX-MKE itinerary. Maybe the agent was told that the skyclub member must be ticketed for a flight that day. And she understood that to be a delta only flight. I know United Club require a same day boarding pass. Delta as of now does not.
That could be it. DL, like UA, requires a same day flight for SC entrance with membership. if you are flying DL, they can see your flights when they scan your membership card and there's no need to see a BP. But if no flights show up, they would need to see a BP in order to follow policy. Could be they are now going to require showing BP's when not flying DL in order to prove you have a same day flight and some agents have misinterpreted that.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
That could be it. DL, like UA, requires a same day flight for SC entrance with membership. if you are flying DL, they can see your flights when they scan your membership card and there's no need to see a BP. But if no flights show up, they would need to see a BP in order to follow policy. Could be they are now going to require showing BP's when not flying DL in order to prove you have a same day flight and some agents have misinterpreted that.
But current DL policy is just that you must be flying that day, and not necessarily on DL, to enter a SC with a membership. UA requires that you be flying UA or *A that day.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
But current DL policy is just that you must be flying that day, and not necessarily on DL, to enter a SC with a membership. UA requires that you be flying UA or *A that day.
No, UA only requires that have a same day flight on any airline. Just like DL. This policy was just recently implemented last year and they used to let you in with a membership even if you weren't flying at all. The difference is that UA seems to require everyone to show a BP even when flying UA to prove they have a same-day flight. Whereas DL seems to never ask for a BP -- even when flying another airline and they have no idea if you truly have a same-day flight or not.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
No, UA only requires that have a same day flight on any airline. Just like DL. This policy was just recently implemented last year and they used to let you in with a membership even if you weren't flying at all. The difference is that UA seems to require everyone to show a BP even when flying UA to prove they have a same-day flight. Whereas DL seems to never ask for a BP -- even when flying another airline and they have no idea if you truly have a same-day flight or not.
Confirming that this is correct. I frequently do this - commonly at the SNA UC with a DL boarding pass. Never a problem, though they do now ask for the boarding pass - but they don't care that it is on DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.