Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Buying 'weird' airlines through Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

So, I was totally unaware of Book With Matrix until I saw a post in this thead: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28552127-post20.html.

Talk about cool.

I've spent some time playing around with options, including multi-stops involving 'weird' airline combinations. By 'weird' I mean non-Delta partner airlines and non-Sky Team member airlines. In each instance I was able to book through Delta.com.

I've seen this before on United.com, which has presented me with connection possibilities on Delta. But I don't think I could otherwise book a ticket on Delta.com involving a non-Delta partner airline or non-Sky Team member airline without the hack from Book With Matrix.

This raises a lot of questions, in my mind anyways.

I realize Delta has lots of interline agreements, including with many competing airlines.

Has anyone done this before? Have you experienced problems at all? I could imagine issues with baggage allowance or fees. And what about seat assignments?

Book with Matrix via Delta.com could really, really open up a lot of possibilities. Like flying through LHR, AMS and CDG to get to KUL, BKK or SIN.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Jul 12, 2017 at 1:36 pm
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I could imagine issues with baggage allowance or fees.
With a U.S. origin or destination, purchased from a web site directed to U.S. consumers (and delta.com certainly is) U.S. DOT single-allowance rules apply. That doesn't standardize elite allowances or credit card waivers but it doesn't leave one at the whim of operating carrier, either.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:48 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I booked a flight using the Matrix tool on Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL). It issued on 006 stock, bags were checked without issues; flight was GYD-LHR-MSP and LHR-MSP was able to be upgraded with a GUC after purchase. I did get SSSS in LHR. AZAL doesn't have the best website so I couldn't get seats but it didn't matter - the 787 had about 40 people on it.

Have also booked multiple flights on AS using the Matrix tool to connect to DL options. Seats are easy, you just need to AS PNR which can be obtained from either DL or AS.

As long as Delta has a ticketing agreement you shouldn't have an issue.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 1:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by TTT
I booked a flight using the Matrix tool on Azerbaijan Airlines (AZAL). It issued on 006 stock, bags were checked without issues; flight was GYD-LHR-MSP and LHR-MSP was able to be upgraded with a GUC after purchase. I did get SSSS in LHR. AZAL doesn't have the best website so I couldn't get seats but it didn't matter - the 787 had about 40 people on it.

Have also booked multiple flights on AS using the Matrix tool to connect to DL options. Seats are easy, you just need to AS PNR which can be obtained from either DL or AS.

As long as Delta has a ticketing agreement you shouldn't have an issue.
What's SSSS?

I presume there's zero chance Delta mistakenly awards miles because it's 006 stock?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What's SSSS?

I presume there's zero chance Delta mistakenly awards miles because it's 006 stock?
SSSS is the code printed on your BP when you're a selectee for additional screening.

No on miles. It goes by the operating carrier code. The ticket stock only matters for if its fare based or revenue based. A DL flight on UA stock still earns DL miles for example.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 2:56 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
So, I was totally unaware of Book With Matrix until I saw a post in this thead: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28552127-post20.html.

Talk about cool.

I've spent some time playing around with options, including multi-stops involving 'weird' airline combinations. By 'weird' I mean non-Delta partner airlines and non-Sky Team member airlines. In each instance I was able to book through Delta.com.

I've seen this before on United.com, which has presented me with connection possibilities on Delta. But I don't think I could otherwise book a ticket on Delta.com involving a non-Delta partner airline or non-Sky Team member airline without the hack from Book With Matrix.

This raises a lot of questions, in my mind anyways.

I realize Delta has lots of interline agreements, including with many competing airlines.

Has anyone done this before? Have you experienced problems at all? I could imagine issues with baggage allowance or fees. And what about seat assignments?

Book with Matrix via Delta.com could really, really open up a lot of possibilities. Like flying through LHR, AMS and CDG to get to KUL, BKK or SIN.

You already can do this on delta.com for flights from the midwest or east coast to SE Asia. I haven't tried KUL but definitely you can get options via Europe for, say, MSP-SIN. BKK also but quite expensive.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:13 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
There's also the ITA powertools userscript:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-lh-lx-tk.html

which I believe bookwithmatrix is just a web UI wrapper around it?

I've used it to book a DL flight plated on 014 (though I ended up canceling it during the risk-free period)
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
What's SSSS?
It's the TSA equivalent of your doctor putting on a glove and reaching for the vasoline...
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:25 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
There's also the ITA powertools userscript:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...-lh-lx-tk.html

which I believe bookwithmatrix is just a web UI wrapper around it?

I've used it to book a DL flight plated on 014 (though I ended up canceling it during the risk-free period)

Is there an advantage to using the script as opposed to Book with Matrix? Book with Matrix seems easy.

I did a search on Google for 014. It's Air Canada, right? Is there a reason why you'd want a Delta flight on an Air Canada ticket?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CarmenOM
[/B]

You already can do this on delta.com for flights from the midwest or east coast to SE Asia. I haven't tried KUL but definitely you can get options via Europe for, say, MSP-SIN. BKK also but quite expensive.
I've seen it a couple of times on Google Flights, but there are certainly more options. Like flying to London or Amsterdam and connecting to Sky Team member Jakarta Garuda Indonesia en route to Bangkok. I've never found that option on Delta.com or Google Flights.

Granted, some of this is irrelevant because the price is ridiculous or mileage earning is reduced or squat, but still. It's neat -- and practical in some cases.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Is there an advantage to using the script as opposed to Book with Matrix? Book with Matrix seems easy.

I did a search on Google for 014. It's Air Canada, right? Is there a reason why you'd want a Delta flight on an Air Canada ticket?
I have a vague recollection that someone had an itinerary that BwM didn't handle but the userscript did, but my mind could just be fabricating that memory.

I booked the DL itin through AC because I couldn't get it to ticket through any other method
Old Jul 12, 2017, 3:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Zorak
I have a vague recollection that someone had an itinerary that BwM didn't handle but the userscript did, but my mind could just be fabricating that memory.

I booked the DL itin through AC because I couldn't get it to ticket through any other method
And you received Delta miles, upgrade eligibility, etc.?
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:25 pm

And you received Delta miles, upgrade eligibility, etc.?
As I said, I cancelled it during the risk-free period so didn't end up finding out for sure.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 4:27 pm
bpe

Programs: AS, UA
I've booked SFO-MSP-HND-BKK and vv. with HND-BKK on JAL and BKK-HND on TG using bookwithmatrix. I tried to get on Delta and it priced but errored out on purchase. Got normal miles for DL flights and credited JL to BA and TG to UA no problem.
Old Jul 12, 2017, 6:39 pm

I do it on one regular TPAC route I fly. No DL mileage or segments for the non-DL segment but I typically save $600 or more, and have a shorter layover in NRT or HND.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.