Search

AMS>ATL or Germany>CUN for honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2017, 8:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
AMS>ATL or Germany>CUN for honeymoon

Hi all,

I am not sure where to ask for help, so please let me know/move the thread if it doesn't belong here :/

We are going on our honeymoon in CUN, leaving from Germany (ideally HAJ) on monday or tuesday 25/26 SEP. The reservation in CUN is starting Tuesday 26 SEP at night.

So far, i booked an award ticket on Delta from AMS to CUN through ATL on Tuesday 26 Sep, with a paid faire from HAJ to AMS the night before.

I wanted to see what could be done to change that return trip to business class to make the trip better and celebrate the start of honeymoon!!

I am open to any suggestions for routes from Germany/AMS to CUN that could be affordable with miles, or $

thanks a lot !!
Old Jul 12, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Hi Caesar23- Welcome to FlyerTalk. While the Mileage Run Discussion forum is not the right place for your post, I've moved your post to the Delta SkyMiles section in hopes that people there will be able to help more.

-18sas
Moderator, Mileage Run forum
Old Jul 12, 2017, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Caesar23
Hi all,

I am not sure where to ask for help, so please let me know/move the thread if it doesn't belong here :/

We are going on our honeymoon in CUN, leaving from Germany (ideally HAJ) on monday or tuesday 25/26 SEP. The reservation in CUN is starting Tuesday 26 SEP at night.

So far, i booked an award ticket on Delta from AMS to CUN through ATL on Tuesday 26 Sep, with a paid faire from HAJ to AMS the night before.

I wanted to see what could be done to change that return trip to business class to make the trip better and celebrate the start of honeymoon!!

I am open to any suggestions for routes from Germany/AMS to CUN that could be affordable with miles, or $

thanks a lot !!
If you've already purchased award tickets and are beyond the 24 hour free cancel period (if it applies to tickets exAMS), it will cost $150 per ticket to make changes. It might not be worth doing that, plus the additional miles.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 4:34 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you've already purchased award tickets and are beyond the 24 hour free cancel period (if it applies to tickets exAMS), it will cost $150 per ticket to make changes. It might not be worth doing that, plus the additional miles.
It shouldn't be too hard to get the change fees waived for a class of service upgrade.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your answers!

Being PM, I will get them waived anyway, but the cost for miles is astronomical. 330,000 miles total just for a one-way D1.

I was looking to cancel my return and get a flight with another airline servicing ATL or CUN from Europe, in Biz and with less miles...

Any ideas?

thanks !
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by Caesar23
Thanks for your answers!

Being PM, I will get them waived anyway, but the cost for miles is astronomical. 330,000 miles total just for a one-way D1.

I was looking to cancel my return and get a flight with another airline servicing ATL or CUN from Europe, in Biz and with less miles...

Any ideas?

thanks !
It sounds like you are past the 24 hour cancellation window, correct? That would have been the best way.

Now things will be more complicated and expensive, depending on your fare class, etc.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by woodford02A
It sounds like you are past the 24 hour cancellation window, correct? That would have been the best way.

Now things will be more complicated and expensive, depending on your fare class, etc.
A PM can cancel/redeposit a award tickets (paid with miles from the PM account) for free.

OP should check on the cost of just buying a RT ticket in cheap business class (such as a Z fare) for CUN. Leisure routes can be cheap if you can meet a 30-50 day advanced purchase requirement.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 5:56 am
Original Poster

I found a business fare AirBerlin DUS-CUN direct so i cancelled the return on my award ticket

thanks for the feedback!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.