Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Massively Obese Passengers

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
The contract of carriage is on your side. Speak before the door closes, and ask for a supervisor if needed.

You have rights in this situation. The other passenger is in violation of the CoC, and if need be should be offloaded. Don't be bullied to make a FA or GA' life easier.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by markcc13
Would it be a reasonable policy if you need a seatbelt extender that you need a second seat or first class ticket? I think that is the policy Southwest has.
Delta has a "suggestion". It's not based on the length of the seatbelt, nor should it be, as others have indicated.
http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...eat-space.html

But it should be written as more of a policy, like some other airlines, including American.

Given the lack of policy directive, it's not clear what DL would do if OP notified the FAs in advance.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
You inform the FA that a GA is needed on board as there is PAX who is significantly encroaching into your seat space and they, not you need to be reseated. Then you stand there. All of this must be dealt with before the door is closed. Once the door is closed there is nothing that can be done unless there is an empty seat which in that case you will the one moving.
I agree with most of what you say. However it'll be you, not them that is moved, absent them moving the other passenger to a higher cabin.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WWads
The contract of carriage is on your side. Speak before the door closes, and ask for a supervisor if needed.

You have rights in this situation. The other passenger is in violation of the CoC, and if need be should be offloaded. Don't be bullied to make a FA or GA' life easier.
I'm curious to know what specific part of the COC is being violated? Refusal to Transport only refers to an inability to buckle the seatbelt. There doesn't seem to be anything else specific about this.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
There must be something in the form of their training/manuals that tells FAs how to deal with this. It's not exactly something new.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by RockyRobin
... and the can't give an extender in an exit row.
Is this a FR rule? I have never heard of a 'belt-extenders not allowed in exit rows' rule!
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by puchong
Is this a FR rule? I have never heard of a 'belt-extenders not allowed in exit rows' rule!
It is a Delta rule, not an FAA or DOT rule.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
we should all be cheering in favor of the legislation currently going through DC to address these issues. as airlines put the pinch on us more and more, there are going to be countless cases of this and the airlines seem unwilling to address it as it's happening or via clearly articulated guidelines in their COCs.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the passenger is encroaching on "your" space, that becomes a safety issue and is always a matter to be dealt with by the Captain, if an FA doesn't wish to deal with it.

Practically, this needs to be dealt with on the spot because in the same way any safety issue is dealt with. If you wish to be discrete, head off and speak with a FA. Make it clear that the person is too large for her seat and that there is a safety issue.

For anyone concerned about how DL pre-plans, the pre-planning has to be on the passenger's part. Presumably the passenger thinks about this and makes arrangements in advance or does not think about it and risks there not being room.

The seatbelt issue is a red herring. Seat belts are trimmed all the time to deal with frayed and torn portions. What was long enough yesterday may not be today.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:14 am

I am sorry but this is an issue that needs to be addressed and stop being tip toed around. I am a medical professional and 99% of obese patients are self inflicted and due to nothing more than a penchant for unhealthy food and a lack of exercise. So with that being said I think that if they are inconveniencing others they are the ones who need to be deplaned and told they can purchase an additional seat on a later flight. They know how big they are, they did not get that large over night so they are extremely inconsiderate by only purchasing one ticket to save money and inconvenience those around them.
Unfortunately, for some reason here in America telling someone they are fat or overweight is taboo, we as a society have become far too accepting of these individuals who put a massive burden on society. They are the largest users of healthcare which then causes cost to be passed on to healthy individuals who choose to take care of themselves. And in this situation they now affect the person who's seat they are encroaching on, because they are too inconsiderate to either lose weight or purchase an extra seat.
All that needs to happen is that a disclaimer when you are purchasing tickets states that if you encroach on your neighbors seats you will be removed from the aircraft and given the option to purchase an additional seat on a later flight or forfeit your current ticket and travel plans.

I am sorry about the rant but I am tired of seeing all of the excuses to protect these inconsiderate people when the others who have decided to take care of themselves are punished. And those who have an endocrine, neurological or genetic diagnosis will obviously be taken care of but because you enjoy fast food with your cigarettes and alcohol is no excuse to inconvenience everyone
Mahogany likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks to all for sharing their thoughts. We have discussed this POS topic many times before and it has been thoroughly covered. I am closing this one down.

RSSrsvp - Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.