Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Should I book through AF/KLM or Delta code share?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I book through AF/KLM or Delta code share?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:59 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DL IT finally got the seat selection working. You can even do MU flights and it works. Only been the case for a few months.
Also do you know how this works in the case of AF/KL flights where you would normally have to pay for seat assignments in coach? I wouldn't think Delta is applying that charge, so potentially Delta.com errors out or suggests you have a seat assignment that doesn't actually carry over to AF/KL? Or alternatively selecting seats on Delta.com might possibly be a loophole that gets you around the fee.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
Also do you know how this works in the case of AF/KL flights where you would normally have to pay for seat assignments in coach? I wouldn't think Delta is applying that charge, so potentially Delta.com errors out or suggests you have a seat assignment that doesn't actually carry over to AF/KL? Or alternatively selecting seats on Delta.com might possibly be a loophole that gets you around the fee.
I'm always in J, so dont know. However i believe DL still collects the fee.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXRuss
Thus, if you are traveling on a three class aircraft with AF and would like an opportunity for a potential upgrade from business to first, I would book on the AF ticket. In the future, I will always book on an AF ticket to receive potential cash upgrade opportunities at online check-in, whether from economy to business or business to La Premiere.
I always purchase my AF tickets on DL.com and check in on the AF website and have received W>J buy up offers many times.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
An interesting note I learned recently you can pretty much have Delta ticket pretty much all KLM or all AF only flights on their stock. If you are going for status this would help you in your MQDs.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 7:31 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by keneshhagard
An interesting note I learned recently you can pretty much have Delta ticket pretty much all KLM or all AF only flights on their stock. If you are going for status this would help you in your MQDs.
You can also earn MQDs on many partner flights, including AF and KL flights not ticketed by Delta. The details are on the partner earning page. You earn MQDs based on a % of distance flown rather than the ticket price, so in some cases it may be better to have AF or KL issue the ticket, while in other cases it may be better to have DL do it. For example many cheap business class fares would earn more if ticketed by AF since the % of distance flown calculation works out to more than the acutual $ spent. High-priced tickets by contrast are probably better ticketed by DL.

Note that for KL-ticketed itineraries that cross the Atlantic and involve KL or DL flight number segments, you basically earn exactly the same thing regardless of whether KL or DL issues the ticket (the KL partner earning page provides more detail on this). So for the most common DL/KL/AF itineraries for US-based travelers, they would have to be AF-ticketed to result in a different earning profile.
Old Oct 28, 2017, 6:27 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, United Mileage Plus, Marriott Lifetime Silver, SPG Platinum
For intra-european flights I usually have them issue on Delta stock because I come out ahead on the MQDs and RDMs always. But, for a really cheap TATL fare you would be better of on KL stock and come out ahead on the MQDs. The only thing that would suck is the mileage earning.

If I ticket a cheaper fare on KL/AF I would come out slightly lower on RDMs vs. DL because I have a x11 multiplier for diamond, but come out ahead on MQDs. So I think for long haul you need to decide what your goal is.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
Resurfacing this thread as it is relevant to me . . . whether to book with DL for flights on KLM metal, or book directly with KLM.

AN additional consideration that occurred to me: in the unlikely but nonetheless possible event that I had to cancel the trip, it is usually the case that a "nonrefundable" ticket has residual value (usually pay a penalty, and then the ticket value essentially converts to a gift card usable within one year). If I booked with DL and the flights on KLM metal carried DL flight numbers, and I had to cancel, I am pretty sure I would have no trouble using residual value on the ticket for another Delta flight within one year. With KLM, it would be somewhat more difficult to use the ticket value. BUT . . .if I book with DL and the flights on KLM metal carry DL code share flight numbers, would a cancellation be treated the same as a normal DL ticket on DL metal?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by andrewk829
Resurfacing this thread as it is relevant to me . . . whether to book with DL for flights on KLM metal, or book directly with KLM.

AN additional consideration that occurred to me: in the unlikely but nonetheless possible event that I had to cancel the trip, it is usually the case that a "nonrefundable" ticket has residual value (usually pay a penalty, and then the ticket value essentially converts to a gift card usable within one year). If I booked with DL and the flights on KLM metal carried DL flight numbers, and I had to cancel, I am pretty sure I would have no trouble using residual value on the ticket for another Delta flight within one year. With KLM, it would be somewhat more difficult to use the ticket value. BUT . . .if I book with DL and the flights on KLM metal carry DL code share flight numbers, would a cancellation be treated the same as a normal DL ticket on DL metal?
Remember Basic Economy fares are not changeable or refundable. If you don't use it on the original date, it has no value.

Assuming not a Basic Economy fare - no doubt it would be easier to credit to another Delta flight if you had a DL issued ticket with DL flight numbers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.