Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upgrade chances into SFO from ATL, DTW, MSP compared?

Upgrade chances into SFO from ATL, DTW, MSP compared?

Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by lbcnu
I love Oakland (and, yes, there are fewer diamonds). However the problem with Oakland is that there are no non-stop flights from ATL, MSP or DTW into OAK. A connection is required, usually SLC or LAX.
OAK has a nonstop to ATL. Today's flight is DL 1863 leaving ATL at 7:57pm and arrives in OAK at 9:55pm on a 738.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by lbcnu
I love Oakland (and, yes, there are fewer diamonds). However the problem with Oakland is that there are no non-stop flights from ATL, MSP or DTW into OAK. A connection is required, usually SLC or LAX.
Yes there are, DL flies ATL-OAK 1x daily.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
A lot depends on if upgrades at the window have already been processed or not. If no elites have been upgraded yet and it's f=4 as a PM your changes are very unlikely to get upgraded out of any of those cities since there is a good chance there will be 4 diamonds already on that plane and not to mention that they could be flying with a companion that would trump you.

As a diamond if I was lucky enough to get on a widebody on the route my upgrade has always cleared but on a narrow body probably about 70 percent but I always take the last flight of the day on Thursday.

I've never flown ATL/SFO but a friend of mine in ATL that is a diamond said it's very hard to get a free upgrade on this route and when he wants an upgrade he'll burn an RU and said even then those usually are waitlisted and he has missed a waitlisted RU on that route so I'd avoid Atlanta.

You also have to factor in the time of the flight, if it's a popular flight time people on FCM fares could SDC from other flights.

If you have an RU I'd try using that. Since a lot of things can happen such as IROPs and no upgrade is guaranteed I would just chose the route that is the most convenient and economical and just hope for the best.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless OP is in a higher fare class, I suspect the SDC options are going to be limited (if not non-existent) due to lack of original booking class availability.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:11 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
OAK has a nonstop to ATL. Today's flight is DL 1863 leaving ATL at 7:57pm and arrives in OAK at 9:55pm on a 738.
I love OAK too, but the direct ATL flights are seasonal (I believe they end mid-August). Might work for OP this time, but it's not a permanent option. Rest of the year, all DL flights to/from OAK have to route through LAX or SLC
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by ryw
I love OAK too, but the direct ATL flights are seasonal (I believe they end mid-August). Might work for OP this time, but it's not a permanent option. Rest of the year, all DL flights to/from OAK have to route through LAX or SLC
At the risk of taking this too far off topic - I really wish that OAK-ATL were year-round and not seasonal! Security at OAK is such a breeze!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Thanks all. I SDCed to a DTW flight which was best for time, and, finding myself 5/4 on the list at T-24, then applied a RUC (er-- is it normal for all my RUCs to show 'open' when I've used some before?). If there had been a wide-body out of ATL or anywhere I might have tried for that.

Originally Posted by LBJ
Unless OP is in a higher fare class, I suspect the SDC options are going to be limited (if not non-existent) due to lack of original booking class availability.
I booked high enough up from V that all routings had available inventory on this day, though that was hardly a certainly-- it was likely that I'd have options.

Finally: the DTW->SFO leg flew with an empty seat in F.

Last edited by kthomas; Jun 28, 2017 at 3:13 pm Reason: //clarify conditions
Old Jun 27, 2017, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Just don't forget once many hundreds of Premium Economy seats start to fly out of DTW with "free" UGs to 1st class on domestic connecting legs inbound means the UG chances into DTW will fall.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
Originally Posted by Renes Points
Just don't forget once many hundreds of Premium Economy seats start to fly out of DTW with "free" UGs to 1st class on domestic connecting legs inbound means the UG chances into DTW will fall.
Huh? What? I stop reading FT for a few weeks and WHAT?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.