Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diamond Choice Benefit - Sky Club Guest Pass (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Blinged Out

Is anyone else having issues getting their +1 complimentary access into SkyClubs? I am not a SkyClub member, however, I have access through both my DL Reserve and Bus Plat AMEX.

After making DM for 2018 in early May, I selected the guest pass choice benefit so my wife would have complimentary access when traveling with me.

The ambassadors in the MEM club asked me what exactly that benefit was before they admitted my wife in. Nice club, btw.

In DTW, the ambassadors acted like they had never heard of this benefit. Eventually a very nice (not a DYKWIA) call to the DM line was made, and a note on my acct was added for the club ambassadors to see. It seemed to have fixed the issue. I was tempted to use a CB for membership and then use SkyPesos to buy up to Executive Membership, however, the benefit would only last a year as opposed to Feb 2019. Has anyone else encountered this?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Choice Benefit website appears to say that the Guest Pass benefit does not begin until October 1, 2017. So not terribly surprising that no one knows what you are talking about at this point.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Is anyone else having issues getting their +1 complimentary access into SkyClubs? I am not a SkyClub member, however, I have access through both my DL Reserve and Bus Plat AMEX.

After making DM for 2018 in early May, I selected the guest pass choice benefit so my wife would have complimentary access when traveling with me.

The ambassadors in the MEM club asked me what exactly that benefit was before they admitted my wife in. Nice club, btw.

In DTW, the ambassadors acted like they had never heard of this benefit. Eventually a very nice (not a DYKWIA) call to the DM line was made, and a note on my acct was added for the club ambassadors to see. It seemed to have fixed the issue. I was tempted to use a CB for membership and then use SkyPesos to buy up to Executive Membership, however, the benefit would only last a year as opposed to Feb 2019. Has anyone else encountered this?
If you buy up, it also lasts till end of Jan 2019. It simply upgrades the free SC membership (choice benefit) till it runs out. Did this last year.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
For new Diamonds, like me, the benefit is available immediately when selecting 2018 DM benefits, which I just did. For existing Diamonds who already have complimentary SC membership, the benefit is not available until October 1.

Had no problem bringing my wife in the SEA club last week using the Guest Pass benefit, but the folks in the new ATL B club weren't aware of it, but now know about it as we researched the fine print together.

BTW, you get to bring TWO guests in with this choice benefit.

Originally Posted by LBJ
The Choice Benefit website appears to say that the Guest Pass benefit does not begin until October 1, 2017. So not terribly surprising that no one knows what you are talking about at this point.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 9:22 pm
Original Poster

The choice benefit begins in October if you already have an existing SC membership. For those of us who don't- it should begin shortly after the choice benefit selection is made. That is where there seems to be some continuity issues across the SC locations.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
The choice benefit begins in October if you already have an existing SC membership. For those of us who don't- it should begin shortly after the choice benefit selection is made. That is where there seems to be some continuity issues across the SC locations.
Okay, after reading the full terms in the T&C's I agree that it seems you should be able to use it now. I'm assuming they don't send you any additional physical Guest Pass credentials and Guest Pass status is likely annotated on your Skymiles account or ticket somehow. Do you have a copy of your boarding pass? It might say something there that you could refer agents to. I suspect you are likely among the first to get the Guest Pass benefit, and it's probably the first time many agent are encountering this so it's not too surprising they are unfamiliar with it.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ
Okay, after reading the full terms in the T&C's I agree that it seems you should be able to use it now. I'm assuming they don't send you any additional physical Guest Pass credentials and Guest Pass status is likely annotated on your Skymiles account or ticket somehow. Do you have a copy of your boarding pass? It might say something there that you could refer agents to. I suspect you are likely among the first to get the Guest Pass benefit, and it's probably the first time many agent are encountering this so it's not too surprising they are unfamiliar with it.
That is exactly what is happening. I wasn't mad at the DTW agents, as we were in a hurry anyway, but I hope this will help anyone else using that choice benefit in the future.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:42 am
pmv

Choice Awards question: Skyclub guest pass

New/First time Diamond. One of the choice awards is the Skyclub guest pass which is for diamonds who have club access through other means such as credit cards.

I have access through my AMEX Plat (NOT a Delta AMEX). Can I select this one or is it only for people who have access through a Delta AMEX? T&C unclear on delta.com

thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Understanding is its for those who get free access to SC themself. Ie DL reserve. Its not for those that have to pay a fee per entry for themself.

Last edited by flyerCO; Oct 3, 2017 at 7:15 am
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: DL DM
Seems pretty black and white that you CAN select this as you have access via an eligible credit (charge) card (your AMEX unbranded Plat):

Must have complimentary Delta Sky Club access via eligible credit card such as the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express. You receive unlimited access to Delta Sky Club locations for up to two guests per visit when traveling with the eligible Card Member.
Members who do not have an eligible credit card that grants complimentary access to Delta Sky Club are not eligible for a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass and should instead choose an Executive Membership.
Your card (Amex Plat) grants complimentary access. Therefore, there shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Understanding is its for those who get free access to SC themself. Ie DL reserve. Its not for those that have to pay a fee per entry for themself. Ie AMEX PLT
The Amex Plat grants free access for the cardholder. There's no need to pay a fee per entry. Perhaps you're thinking of the Amex Delta Plat?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeNYC1
Seems pretty black and white that you CAN select this as you have access via an eligible credit (charge) card (your AMEX unbranded Plat):

Your card (Amex Plat) grants complimentary access. Therefore, there shouldn't be a problem.

The Amex Plat grants free access for the cardholder. There's no need to pay a fee per entry. Perhaps you're thinking of the Amex Delta Plat?
That is what i was meaning. Left the DL part off. There's too many dang AMEX cards to keep track of.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:35 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
SkyClub Agents not trained or unaware of the Diamond SkyClub guest pass

Today I was visiting the ATL B SkyClub and alerted the check in agent that I had one guest and would be using my “guest pass”. I was accessing the club with my platinum American Express card and assumed saying guest pass would alert her to see I have the Diamond choice benefit for a guest.

Within a minute she had printed a receipt for 29.99 for a guest. I stated that I have the diamond choice benefit and asked why I didn’t tell her that. I asked her, what specifically am I supposed to say, and she said, “diamond choice benefit guest pass”, not just “guest pass.”

She then stated I was the first person she has seen use this. She was very apologetic and voided the 29.99 fee. Just a word of warning to be explicit With the desk agents. I’m also considering a note to customer care that they need additional training for their agents.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Your term guest pass was ambiguous. What she sold you was a guest pass for an AMEX card holder.

Not sure how they need training. It wasn't made clear by you that you were using a free "guest pass" or a AMEX "guest pass." Once you pointed out which, she instantly fixed it. Not much more can be done.
FlyingNone, DiverDave and kettle1 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Why did you hand her an Amex at all?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by javabytes
Why did you hand her an Amex at all?
If user earned DM first time this year then no SC free membership w/ DM status. Must hand card to get in using AMEX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.