Wiki Posts
Search

Delta is Ending PHL-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by woodford02A
Is it a requirement that this slot in question is used for a U.S. flight? Could VS use it for LHR-Asia, Middle East, Africa, etc?
Even if they could, doesn't the JV require that DL prioritize KLM/AF for flights to those regions or is DL free to push VS for connections beyond Europe?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by Duke787
Even if they could, doesn't the JV require that DL prioritize KLM/AF for flights to those regions or is DL free to push VS for connections beyond Europe?
DL owns 49% of VS so totally separate conversation I think
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Is it a requirement that this slot in question is used for a U.S. flight? Could VS use it for LHR-Asia, Middle East, Africa, etc?
A key part of the DL acquisition of the VS stake was to re-orient the VS network toward the US. The public discussions at the time suggested that much of the VS network to other regions was losing money. Accordingly, I'd be surprised to see VS reverse course so quickly and get back into markets where the ME3 have significantly depressed yields.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
bummed to see LHR-PHL go away but i'm not surprised. i flew it a couple of times and the load factors in coach were poor. business was usually full, but not sure how many of those were upgrades/miles/employees.
I'm assuming that DL knew they were going to struggle selling seats on this flight and just took the losses as part of the cost to get an additional slot at LHR. I would have to guess that the slot is going to one of the hubs. It makes the most sense since unlike CDG or AMS, DL really doesn't have feed beyond LHR through its partners.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
A key part of the DL acquisition of the VS stake was to re-orient the VS network toward the US. The public discussions at the time suggested that much of the VS network to other regions was losing money. Accordingly, I'd be surprised to see VS reverse course so quickly and get back into markets where the ME3 have significantly depressed yields.
+1.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Keep in mind Brexit, laptop ban, the Trump effect, UK terrorism and Norwegian (and other) LCC London growth can change the playing field pretty quickly.

Just trying to think outside the obvious

Last edited by woodford02A; Jun 26, 2017 at 1:00 pm
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm assuming that DL knew they were going to struggle selling seats on this flight and just took the losses as part of the cost to get an additional slot at LHR. I would have to guess that the slot is going to one of the hubs. It makes the most sense since unlike CDG or AMS, DL really doesn't have feed beyond LHR through its partners.
Due to JV, DL can't do revenue tickets going through LHR beyond UK for Europe. UK was carved out of AF/KL Europe JV. JNB is outside JV so no issue routing through LHR on it. Other then JNB, I believe HKG and PVG are all that VS still flies to outside US.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Due to JV, DL can't do revenue tickets going through LHR beyond UK for Europe. UK was carved out of AF/KL Europe JV. JNB is outside JV so no issue routing through LHR on it. Other then JNB, I believe HKG and PVG are all that VS still flies to outside US.
From LHR, VS also flies DEL, DXB and LOS
Old Jun 26, 2017, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Keep in mind Brexit, laptop ban, the Trump effect, UK terrorism and Norwegian (and other) LCC London growth can change the playing field pretty quickly.

Just trying to think outside the obvious
But none of those things, save maybe the Trump effect, impact the US-UK market more than the UK-ROW market.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
Unlikely, but I'd love to see VS start LHR-AUS and give BA some competition.
BA only makes this flight work because of connections to the rest of Europe, which DL and VS lack. The lack of a European feed makes any non-hub city unlikely, as VS already serves pretty much every city in the US that doesn't need connecting passengers. My money is CVG or a DL hub.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
From LHR, VS also flies DEL, DXB and LOS
Thought they were getting rid (or at least thinking of) those routes.

I'd wish all LHR traffic be flown by VS. Then use DL metal for other routes.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:04 pm

Not sure, they are all daily or close to it and have been flown for some time. VS did axe some other markets like YVR, BOM, NRT, NBO, ACC in the past few years.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:15 pm

VS only has something like 38 planes. They would literally have to remove all of their non LHR/USA flights to accomplish that, and I'm still not certain they'd have enough lift to accomplish that.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kop84
VS only has something like 38 planes. They would literally have to remove all of their non LHR/USA flights to accomplish that, and I'm still not certain they'd have enough lift to accomplish that.
Plus there's no way that DPA would go for that.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by WWads
Plus there's no way that DPA would go for that.
Never said it was practical to happen. Just a dream as stated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.