Wiki Posts
Search

April Delays - compensation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

April Delays - compensation

Hi,

I was wondering in anyone could advise on the following situation. I experienced a hellish 70 hour delay in April with Delta. During this time we were booked onto several different flights(that were cancelled due to no crew), after each flight was cancelled we had to queue for 2-4 hours to rebook onto the next flight (which would ultimately be cancelled so we'd queue all over again). I submitted my complaint on 18th April and have today finally received a response (some 65 days later) asking for receipts for expenses. I know these will be reimbursed but would like to know if anyone else experienced similar and managed to get cash compensation? I am not interested in evouchers or sky miles as I will never ever travel with delta again due to such a dire experience.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Welcome to FT! Are you referring to cash compensation beyond the expenses you submitted receipts for? If so... not gonna happen. The $200 voucher or 20k miles is what was offered as a CS gesture... I don't know the extent to which people were successful in getting that increased if they felt it was warranted... but Delta is not going to pay you extra cash compensation.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Maybe this is what you're referring to?:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...pensation.html
Old Jun 24, 2017, 3:25 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the link.

Ive seen that some people who had relatively short delays have received $200 evoucher and 20k skymiles so I am interested if anyone who had extreme delays received anything more. I am hoping for a response on Monday
Old Jun 24, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Yes. That thread has examples, like this one:

Originally Posted by essexnyc
EsssexNYC family of four was to travel LGA-ATL-PHX. Ended up flying out three days later (Mon instead of Fri) but direct JFK-PHX. Submitted online forms, and Delta ended up giving us each 20K SkyPesos plus $200 e-credit, plus they sent me a check for $400 for our car service and dinner on Fri. I think a fair resolution from Delta.
Higher rates of compensation tend to include more miles or vouchers (as in this example, both were received instead of one or the other), but cash compensation typically limited to reimbursement of approved out-of-pocket expenses. You may well have success getting extra miles or vouchers for an extreme delay, but they're not going to cut you a check. What I might push for, though, is sometimes they offer gift cards so you have more choices besides a DL transportation voucher. When this has happened to me, one of the available choices has been an Amex gift card, which is almost as good as cash. (Watch out - mine were only valid for 6 months before they expired.)
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
We had a similar experience but decided early to just drive home (NYC-VA)

We got (each)

Check to cover: Taxi to hotel, Hotel, Rental Car, Gas
$150 Amex gift card**
20K miles everyone got plus 10K extra miles.

And of course a whopping 5800 SM refund on our 200K award ticket to Europe (DL calculated JFK-RIC portion of the ticket).

Seemed fair...basically expenses plus $450ish in points/cash plus refund fare.

**We had a choice of many cards as stated above but this was the closest to cash.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What was your originally-booked routing. Any chance that this was a departure from the EU or if not, somewhere other than the US?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

That's really helpful, thank you both.

I'll probably go with the Amex gift card now. We were in transit between LON and MCO and somehow our luggage ended up there 60 hours before us so had a pretty horrid time and feel we deserve something back.

Thanks again
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

it was LON-MCO via JFK with Virgin Atlantic. My understanding is that we do not fall under EU rulings as we were technically on a domestic US flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.