Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

MQM

I purchased a Delta ticket that had segments on KLM and KQ. At the time, I inquired to be sure that I would receive full MQMs for all segments. I was referred to the following webpage by the agent who assured me that if Delta ticketed I would get full MQM.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_.../airlines.html

where it says:

"Any flight purchased through delta.com will be ticketed by Delta. Any partner flight that is not Delta-marketed or Delta-ticketed will earn according to the rules below."

The agent reiterated several times during our conversation that this clearly states that i will get full MQM credit, which I did not.

When calling the DM desk, the two agents I spoke to ex-post agreed with my interpretation and that of the early agents and DM desk. However, skymiles people say I will not earn the MQMs, and that the requirement is "Delta-marketed and Delta-ticketed." But of course that is not what it says.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by des16
I purchased a Delta ticket that had segments on KLM and KQ. At the time, I inquired to be sure that I would receive full MQMs for all segments. I was referred to the following webpage by the agent who assured me that if Delta ticketed I would get full MQM.

where it says:

"Any flight purchased through delta.com will be ticketed by Delta. Any partner flight that is not Delta-marketed or Delta-ticketed will earn according to the rules below."

The agent reiterated several times during our conversation that this clearly states that i will get full MQM credit, which I did not.

When calling the DM desk, the two agents I spoke to ex-post agreed with my interpretation and that of the early agents and DM desk. However, skymiles people say I will not earn the MQMs, and that the requirement is "Delta-marketed and Delta-ticketed." But of course that is not what it says.
MQM soley depends on who markets it. MQD/RDM depend on ticketing stock. Im betting either you're asking the wrong question or they're answering tge wrong question.

What are the flight numbers and fare class you paid for?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver

where it says:

This verbiage refers to award miles. If the flight was Delta-ticketed (which anything purchased from Delta would be), you should have earned award miles based on ticket price.

The DM agents misinformed you, unfortunately. MQMs are based on the marketing carrier, which may or may not be the same as the ticketing carrier. I don't know how many KQ flights also have a DL code; it may not be many, and it may not even be possible to buy a DL-marketed, KQ-operated flight when you don't have a DL-operated flight in the reservation.

The Delta earning table is explicit:
For MQMs earned on Delta-ticketed flights that are partner-marketed, please refer to delta.com/partnerairlines.
The Delta earning chart applies only to Delta-marketed flights. All flights, irrespective of how ticketed, earn MQMs according to the marketing carrier, which was likely KQ in your case.

It's very frustrating that phone agents misinformed you. No excuse for that happening.

(I'm assuming that your KQ flight was KQ-marketed; as I noted, I'm not sure it's even possible to purchase a DL-marketed, KQ operated flight. Your answer to flyerCO's question will say for sure.)

Last edited by ashill; Jun 22, 2017 at 6:11 pm
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

It is not just the agent's misinformation. The statement that indicates that a Delta ticket earns miles like a Delta flight, "Any partner flight that is not Delta-marketed or Delta-ticketed will earn according to the rules below," does not indicate that this only applies to miles, not MQMs. That is, the statement clearly exempts the rules below for Delta ticketed flights; and among those rules are the rules for earning miles and MQMs.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:38 pm

It is not just the agent's misinformation. The statement that indicates that a Delta ticket earns miles like a Delta flight, "Any partner flight that is not Delta-marketed or Delta-ticketed will earn according to the rules below," does not indicate that this only applies to miles, not MQMs. That is, the statement clearly exempts the rules below for Delta ticketed flights; and among those rules are the rules for earning miles and MQMs.
I agree that the wording on the page you linked to is confusing. But if you then go to the Delta rules, you'll find it quite clearly and explicitly stated that MQMs depend on the marketing carrier, not the ticketing carrier. Assuming your flight was KQ-marketed, you won't have a DL flight and fare class to match to the DL MQM table. (And for DL, just like partners, there is a table that matches fare class and miles flown to MQMs earned.)

And "the rules below" in the sentence you quoted refers to "With SkyMiles, partner-marketed flights that are ticketed by Delta will earn miles toward Award Travel based on ticket price, instead of distance flown." (Emphasis added.)

Last edited by ashill; Jun 22, 2017 at 7:52 pm
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
(3) Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) are used as a counter to determine SkyMiles Medallion status. Flights and itineraries eligible for MQMs will earn a minimum of 500 MQMs per segment. For MQMs earned on Delta-ticketed flights that are partner-marketed, please refer todelta.com/partnerairlines.

Not sure what isnt clear. MQM is strictly based on marketing carrier.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
A little OT

Per Delta website:

"All SkyMiles members are eligible for mileage accrual and will earn Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs), Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) and Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs – U.S.-based members only) on Basic Economy fares."

But currently when booking these (E) fares are showing 0 for MQM and Miles earned at booking window, Glitch on website...or is it an upcoming change?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:41 am

Actually I see it must be a glitch, because it is saying the same on 1st Class fares.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep, It's a bug...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ws-0-mqms.html
Old Jun 23, 2017, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
Ah I see, Thanks!
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by ashill
I don't know how many KQ flights also have a DL code; it may not be many, and it may not even be possible to buy a DL-marketed, KQ-operated flight when you don't have a DL-operated flight in the reservation.
Eve WITH a DL-operated flight in the rez, you may not see a DL-marketed, KQ-operated flight. Last summer I booked through DL (i.e. DL-ticketed) to fly NBO-CDG-ATL-FLL. NBO-CDG was KQ-operated and had a KQ flight number; CDG-ATL was AF-operated and had an AF flight number, and ATL-FLL was DL-operated with a FL flight number. If I recall correctly, the KQ flight showed AF or KLM codeshare flight numbers but not a DL codeshare flight number.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Booked a flight thru a DL agent last year, that was marketed by KL and flown on KQ. Received full MQMs for all of the flights (which I wasn't expecting).

ncwillett is correct; my KQ flights showed as the KL codeshare, which should credit to DL as a KL flight.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by dmarge18
Booked a flight thru a DL agent last year, that was marketed by KL and flown on KQ. Received full MQMs for all of the flights (which I wasn't expecting).

ncwillett is correct; my KQ flights showed as the KL codeshare, which should credit to DL as a KL flight.
Yes, KQ-operated flights will post according to the marketing carrier no matter how ticketed. des16 still hasn't said how the flight was ticketed (ie which airline was the ticketed marketing carrier) and how many EQMs they earned. Without that information, we can't say whether it credited properly.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

ticketed and marketed

Originally Posted by ashill
Yes, KQ-operated flights will post according to the marketing carrier no matter how ticketed. des16 still hasn't said how the flight was ticketed (ie which airline was the ticketed marketing carrier) and how many EQMs they earned. Without that information, we can't say whether it credited properly.
The ticket was issued by Delta on Delta ticket stock. Originally the NBOAMS segment showed KL. I changed the date of travel and apparently on the new date, they showed NBOAMS as a KQ flight. I did not notice that they did this since it was an even exchange. I guess I should have been more vigilant. All the agent said was, yes, we have the same flight in the same class, so even exchange.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 8:31 pm

The ticket was issued by Delta on Delta ticket stock. Originally the NBOAMS segment showed KL. I changed the date of travel and apparently on the new date, they showed NBOAMS as a KQ flight. I did not notice that they did this since it was an even exchange. I guess I should have been more vigilant. All the agent said was, yes, we have the same flight in the same class, so even exchange.
OK. Given that, I think you have a totally legitimate case to request original routing credit for the MQMs according to the originally-ticketed KLM-marketed NBO-AMS segment. But that is based on both your original ticketing and the fact that the Delta agent said it was an even exchange, not advising you of the change of marketing carrier.

In requesting original routing credit, I would advise not confusing the issue by pointing out any inconsistencies you perceive in the wording on DL.com about DL-ticketed flights and MQM earning. As we've said, the ticketing carrier is completely irrelevant to MQM earning; all that matters is the marketing carrier (assuming the operating carrier is a Skyteam member). The earning policies for DL flights are irrelevant here.

And next time, I'm sure you will be more vigilant, but totally understandable mistake!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.