Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GUC Use > Banging Head vs. Wall (Rant)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
As a first time DM reading this makes me shake my head. I think I will purposely book Delta when I use these later this year.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:22 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by zurich64
I am having same problem even with a delta operated direct flight. Ticket is sold by AF with AF flight numbers, so phone agents told me I need to have YBM fares, which I think is wrong. But if rules are not clear enough for phone agents, only way seems to be is to try in person at a Delta ticket office or at skyclub.
The agent is actually correct here. AF requires YBM fares, as is clearly stated in the T&Cs. Only KL allows cheaper fares, and only if DL-marketed. So sometimes the agents actually are correct
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bgriff
The agent is actually correct here. AF requires YBM fares, as is clearly stated in the T&Cs. Only KL allows cheaper fares, and only if DL-marketed. So sometimes the agents actually are correct
If AF operated yes. However AF coded, DL operated dont.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:10 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by flyerCO
If AF operated yes. However AF coded, DL operated dont.
Are you sure that's true? I tried to upgrade a TATL itinerary a few months ago where there were two DL-operated TATL segments, one KL-marketed, one DL-marketed. The agent told me that the KL-marketed one would have to be YBM but that we could upgrade the DL-marketed one, which makes at least some sense to me, and this agent was otherwise very good so I would give her better-than-average chances of knowing what she was talking about. But the public rules don't say specifically what happens for DL-operated, AF/KL/VS-marketed.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Are you sure that's true? I tried to upgrade a TATL itinerary a few months ago where there were two DL-operated TATL segments, one KL-marketed, one DL-marketed. The agent told me that the KL-marketed one would have to be YBM but that we could upgrade the DL-marketed one, which makes at least some sense to me, and this agent was otherwise very good so I would give her better-than-average chances of knowing what she was talking about. But the public rules don't say specifically what happens for DL-operated, AF/KL/VS-marketed.
From what I understand, regardless of the marketing carrier, if it's operated by DL it should be eligible for DL GUC T&Cs (any fare class except E).

IIRC there are reports of agents having to reissue the tickets with DL flight numbers to get it to work correctly.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by CGNC
Yes, the OY bit was new to me, but I was under the impression from the Terms and Conditions of the certs that on a DL codeshare, KL operated flight, you need space in Z class. AND--Z class that shows in EF with the DL codeshare flight number, not for the KL flight number.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No, need Z on the KLM flight number. All upgrades are done under the operating carrier code, even if booked as DL codeshare.
flyerCO is correct; for KL-operated flights, Z inventory needs to be available for the KL flight number in order to confirm an upgrade regardless of if the ticket is marketed by KL or DL. Keep in mind, of course, that it's highly advantageous to book a DL-marketed/KL-operated flight rather than a KL-marketed/KL-operated flight because only Y/B/M fares can be upgraded for the latter (all fare classes except E are upgradeable on the former).

Ignoring differences in the hard and soft products (which of course vary by aircraft), I actually think DL-marketed/KL-operated flights are the optimal way to use a GUC:
  • KL-operated flights upgraded to Z typically yield a 150% MQM bonus because the flights are re-coded to KL flight numbers when the ticket is re-issued.
  • KL upgrade inventory can easily be searched via Expert Flyer whereas you need to call Delta in order to find OY (previously OP) inventory. Whether Z inventory is available is irrelevant to whether upgrade inventory is available on DL-operated flights (regardless of who is the marketing carrier).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by ruckzac
flyerCO is correct; for KL-operated flights, Z inventory needs to be available for the KL flight number in order to confirm an upgrade regardless of if the ticket is marketed by KL or DL. Keep in mind, of course, that it's highly advantageous to book a DL-marketed/KL-operated flight rather than a KL-marketed/KL-operated flight because only Y/B/M fares can be upgraded for the latter (all fare classes except E are upgradeable on the former).

Ignoring differences in the hard and soft products (which of course vary by aircraft), I actually think DL-marketed/KL-operated flights are the optimal way to use a GUC:
  • KL-operated flights upgraded to Z typically yield a 150% MQM bonus because the flights are re-coded to KL flight numbers when the ticket is re-issued.
  • KL upgrade inventory can easily be searched via Expert Flyer whereas you need to call Delta in order to find OY (previously OP) inventory. Whether Z inventory is available is irrelevant to whether upgrade inventory is available on DL-operated flights (regardless of who is the marketing carrier).
Good summary.

Now we just need DL IT to figure out what the heck is going on with using GUCs on VS.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:05 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Whether Z inventory is available is irrelevant to whether upgrade inventory is available on DL-operated flights (regardless of who is the marketing carrier).

Not 100% sure what you mean by this, but based on 4-5 anecdotal cases I've checked, when a KL-coded, DL-operated flight shows Z available on EF, it has always also been available for OY with DL. So for transatlantic GUC use on DL flights, you can make some use of EF to find space and just confirm with DL before making firm plans. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for DL flights in other regions.

But yes the 150% MQMs, for as long as that benefit lasts, makes redeeming GUCs on KL fairly attractive.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:23 pm

Not 100% sure what you mean by this, but based on 4-5 anecdotal cases I've checked, when a KL-coded, DL-operated flight shows Z available on EF, it has always also been available for OY with DL. So for transatlantic GUC use on DL flights, you can make some use of EF to find space and just confirm with DL before making firm plans. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for DL flights in other regions.
Are you saying that, as a rule, when Z inventory is being marketed through Delta's transatlantic codeshare partners (i.e., AF, KL, VS), OY inventory is also available?

If that's the case, then one could find OY inventory by searching for Z fares on DL-operated, AF/KL/VS-marketed flights. However, it's my understanding that while Z inventory with codeshare partners may sometimes coincide with OY inventory, it doesn't always and therefore isn't a reliable way to find OY inventory.

Last edited by rucksack; Jun 21, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:30 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Are you saying that, as a rule, when Z inventory is being marketed through Delta's transatlantic codeshare partners (i.e., AF, KL, VS), OY inventory is also available?

If that's the case, then one could find OY inventory by searching for Z fares on DL-operated, AF/KL/VS-marketed flights. However, it's my understanding that while Z inventory with codeshare partners may sometimes coincide with OY inventory, it doesn't always and therefore isn't a reliable way to find OY inventory.
I am saying, having checked it a few times on various routes, there has been a lot of overlap. But you are correct, I don't know for sure that isn't just a coincidence.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 3:39 pm

This. The other day I asked via Twitter and agent said 2 OY space, but ExpertFlyer for the same flight showed 6....
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just ticketed an itinerary where the return portion is a M class fare upgraded with (the agent said, but I can't verify this yet) 30,000 miles. The TATL segment is DL operated and DL marketed so that it books into OY as expected, but the KLM operated and KLM coded segment is now showing as O class. Seats have been assigned. I'm going to watch this like a hawk to make sure that the agent didn't somehow sell me a separate business class award ticket for the KLM segment. In the meantime, I'm wondering how much to worry. The ticket hasn't been reissued yet and I can't see how many miles might have beeen taken from my DL FF account. The whole process only took about a half hour on the phone with a DM agent.

Of course there's no hope of seeing the fare calculation either.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 7, 2017 at 7:59 am Reason: Typos
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bj27
This. The other day I asked via Twitter and agent said 2 OY space, but ExpertFlyer for the same flight showed 6....
For the KLM flights I looked at, EF shows both Z inventory (with a number of seats) and O inventory (marked as yes). I seee lots of zeros for Z on flights saying yes to O (classic business class saver award space).
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I just ticketed an itinerary where the return portion is a M class fare upgraded with (the agent said, but I can't verify this yer) 30,000 miles. The TATL segment is DL operated and DL marketed so that it books into OY as expected, but the KLM operated and KLM coded segment is not showing as O class. Seats have been assigned. I'm going to watch this like a hawk to make sure that the agent didn't somehow sell me a separate business class award ticket for the KLM segment. In the meantime, I'm wondering how much to worry. The ticket hasn't been reissued yet and I can't see how many miles might have beeen taken from my DL FF account. The whole process only took about a half hour on the phone with a DM agent.

Of course there's no hope of seeing the fare calculation either.
Can you check the PNR on Saudia?
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:39 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bj27
Can you check the PNR on Saudia?
I think Saudia shut down the functionality to see other airlines' bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.