Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What happens if you get Medallion Status during a flight?

Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold

This question is for my Dad.

"So I have an upcoming international trip that will put me way over the needed MQD's for silver.

The upcoming flight is 3 segments per way, and the first segment should bring me past the MQD requirement. So my question is what will happen? Will I earn the 7 Miles per dollar on this trip?

I've previously been Gold Medallion, but after my company stopped flying me, I lost it. But I am starting to fly more again."

Thanks
I attached his current status.
Attached Images  

Last edited by jonathanbak; Jun 20, 2017 at 9:24 am
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No you will not. It takes a day or so after meeting the requirements for the system to recognize your status.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by jonathanbak

"So I have an upcoming international trip that will put me way over the needed MQD's for silver.

Here is where I stand at the moment.

The upcoming flight is 3 segments per way, and the first segment should bring me past the MQD requirement. So my question is what will happen? Will I earn the 7 Miles per dollar on this trip?

I've previously been Gold Medallion, but after my company stopped flying me, I lost it. But I am starting to fly more again."

Thanks
You get treated like a DL plebe, until after the Silver-qualifying flight is processed and the system upgrades you to Silver.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:56 am

Programs: US,UA,AA,DL,hhonors

Here is where I stand at the moment.

Thanks
Balloons will fall from the overhead cabins. Confetti will fly in the air. And champagne will flow....
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by phillygold
Balloons will fall from the overhead cabins. Confetti will fly in the air. And champagne will flow....
Pigs, lipstick and all, will fly too. A real imaginary party in the sky.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:18 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by phillygold
I can't imagine how it will be when you get Diamond status!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
I can't imagine how it will be when you get Diamond status!
I believe if you pass DM while mid flight the pilot will let you take over for the duration of the trip...just hope their's not a crosswind!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kop84
I believe if you pass DM while mid flight the pilot will let you take over for the duration of the trip...just hope their's not a crosswind!
Hehe, you all are comedians.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:20 am
Original Poster

I guess he would need to take a short domestic flight if the 7 miles per dollar really matter.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:44 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kop84
I believe if you pass DM while mid flight the pilot will let you take over for the duration of the trip.
Come on, now. Don't be fibbin' to a new poster.

If ya' pass DM while onbaord, they keep these in the galley to give'ya!

<For anyone who may want one, I took the pic at a Falla's in LA >
Attached Images  

Last edited by davetravels; Jun 20, 2017 at 9:57 am
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
If in C+ or FC he will get a free drink
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Come on, now. Don't be fibbin' to a new poster.

If ya' pass DM while onbaord, they keep these in the galley to give'ya!

<For anyone who may want one, I took the pic at a Falla's in LA >
You forgot to mention that they'll also ask you for a credit card for the $14.99 since they don't take cash.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I guess he would need to take a short domestic flight if the 7 miles per dollar really matter.
Actually you mean the 2 miles per dollar as he will get 5 miles per dollar as a general member.

David
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
Recently I flew some segments that brought me back up to Platinum. Here was how it went: (a) flew the segments on June 18; (b) on June 19, the Delta website (not the app) showed Gold Medallion Jan 1-June 19 - 2018 Status Platinum; on June 20, my status showed Platinum and 2018 Status Platinum.

Same thing happened like that earlier this year when out of the blue, my status showed that tomorrow I would be Platinum. I had not made the miles and could not figure out whether I was gifted Platinum for some reason such as flying all first class/ Delta One revenue segments this year. However, I discovered that somehow I was credited 30K end-of-year Delta Reserve MQM in error which messed up my rollover. The system recognized the error and after about 5 days as Platinum, the MQM was taken away and my status downgraded again.

After my percentage of upgrades as a Diamond dropped precipitously, I changed my decades-long strategy of flying for status and now just use Delta for flights where the UP fares are affordable. I'll now shop AA or UA if their UP fares are better.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by orca15
If in C+ or FC he will get a free drink
This is my favorite response.

Absolutely nothing will happen.
Traveler_boy_25 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.