Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Card(s) for cash machine

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Card(s) for cash machine

Rumor has it that CVG is in the process of installing some sort of cash/card machines. The card(s) will be used in lieu of cash to buy tickets and pay for fees like bag fees, unaccompanied minor fees and the like. I've heard in another thread that UA and AA have these. Has anyone used these or have information on how this works? Any other Delta stations have them?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL D 1MM SPG P Marriott G Hilton D
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Rumor has it that CVG is in the process of installing some sort of cash/card machines. The card(s) will be used in lieu of cash to buy tickets and pay for fees like bag fees, unaccompanied minor fees and the like. I've heard in another thread that UA and AA have these. Has anyone used these or have information on how this works? Any other Delta stations have them?
Regular kiosks are able to take cards, but I've never seen one that takes cash.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These are not kiosks for check-in and the like. They are entirely separate operations which convert cash to a prepaid card which can be used anywhere that accepts cards. For DL purposes this means at the counter & kiosks.

This means no more cash at the counter. Less accounting & security hassles and there are very few cash transactions for tickets, although people do pay for bags and the like with cash.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
There are really this many people who buy tickets with credit/debit, yet don't have or don't want to use credit/debit at the airport to pay for ancillary fees?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes
There are really this many people who buy tickets with credit/debit, yet don't have or don't want to use credit/debit at the airport to pay for ancillary fees?
If I may speculate...If I buy a ticket for my broke @$$ Brother-in-Law to come and visit, unless I check him in myself to pay for his checked bag, and he lets me know in time that he's checking a bag, he's going to have to pay cash as there is no CC company in existence that will give him a card! Nice guy, just horrible with money.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:52 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Could also allow you to buy a card for on-board items (drinks, snacks) that don't take cash.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
MSP has a cash-to-card machine. It is not associated with any airline; it's there for anyone to use. It's in the ticketing area of Terminal 1. There may be one in Terminal 2 as well, but I haven't checked on that.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:14 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
Originally Posted by kop84
If I may speculate...If I buy a ticket for my broke @$$ Brother-in-Law to come and visit, unless I check him in myself to pay for his checked bag, and he lets me know in time that he's checking a bag, he's going to have to pay cash as there is no CC company in existence that will give him a card! Nice guy, just horrible with money.
That's why they invented debit cards.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:26 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Does the machine charge a fee, or does it do the exchange dollar for dollar?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This would be great for someone taking a UM to the airport who forgot to arrange a debit card so that they can buy food on board.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Pharaoh
That's why they invented debit cards.
You assume he has $25 in his checking account
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:37 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kop84
You assume he has $25 in his checking account
Or HAS a checking account!!!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by davetravels
Or HAS a checking account!!!
My Brother-in-Law is a good guy, just can't get out of his own way. He's got a checking account, but every time he gets a little coin together he seems to just find a way to blow it all.

I'd trust him to look after my dog for a week, I just wouldn't trust him to be able to buy the food for the dog (or himself)
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by davetravels
Does the machine charge a fee, or does it do the exchange dollar for dollar?
I understand that the MSP cash->card machine charges $5/card.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by javabytes
You'd be shocked; I certainly was, as an FTer deep into the points game.

In my case, we arranged tickets for a very close friend to our destination wedding on Delta - and we were surprised to learn he chooses not to have a debit or credit card when we started planning for him to rent a car.

The impetus was apparently recovery from poor use of credit when he was young, and he took the "cut up all your cards" advice seriously. He has a cash heavy job as a bartender, so his pay is delivered directly to him each week from the till, removing most of the need for a bank account...

Sounds crazy, but if he needed to pay a baggage fee at the airport on the ticket we arranged for him, he would definitely have been using this new kiosk system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.