Card(s) for cash machine

Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:25 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Quit trolling, you already know the answer.

David
Actually, I didn't.

If you think about it, if someone is buying a ticket for, say, $400, an extra $5 really doesn't add much, but, if someone just has to pay a $25 bag fee, an extra $5 is quite a price difference! Same could be said if someone wants to give their kids or guests a card to buy food or drinks onboard.

Dave

<How much is a Woodford, anyway?!? >
Old Jun 20, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by davetravels
Actually, I didn't.

If you think about it, if someone is buying a ticket for, say, $400, an extra $5 really doesn't add much, but, if someone just has to pay a $25 bag fee, an extra $5 is quite a price difference! Same could be said if someone wants to give their kids or guests a card to buy food or drinks onboard.

Dave
I follow your logic completely, but we live in a world of fees especially anywhere in an airport or on board an airplane.

Enhancements aren't free.

David
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
I hate to tell'ya, but . . . . .
Thanks for the update, davetravels.

The SmarteCarte machines are invisible to me. The fee is crazy. Somehow carts can be free at major European and Asian airports.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:01 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Thanks for the update, davetravels.

The SmarteCarte machines are invisible to me. The fee is crazy. Somehow carts can be free at major European and Asian airports.
Oh, I agree completely, in that, I have RARELY paid for a cart! This particular time, I was running a little later than I was comfortable with, so I didn't take the time to look for one.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Well of course nothing is free, neither carts nor cash cards. Someone has to pay for the equipment, maintenance, and staff. European airports have clearly decided to absorb the cost (for cultural reasons, customer benefit, or whatever; meaning you're still paying for it, but indirectly via landing fees, higher rental costs, taxes, or whatever). US airports have clearly decided to make it a profit center (I'm sure taking a percentage or a monthly fee from the operators), or at least not a cost center.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
So now the cost of checking a bag if you only have cash just went up 20%.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
So now the cost of checking a bag if you only have cash just went up 20%.
Not if you're flying Delta. Delta accepts cash for checked bag fees, unless something has changed very, very recently. There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about the cash-to-card kiosks (which are not the same as the check-in kiosks), but no one has said that Delta won't accept cash to check bags. Some of the airlines will not accept cash, but I'm not sure which ones. (Spirit comes to mind)
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Are you sure the ones you've seen are UA specific? See my post #22 above.
----------
-------
Yes, UA specific.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Not if you're flying Delta. Delta accepts cash for checked bag fees, unless something has changed very, very recently. There has been a lot of discussion in this thread about the cash-to-card kiosks (which are not the same as the check-in kiosks), but no one has said that Delta won't accept cash to check bags. Some of the airlines will not accept cash, but I'm not sure which ones. (Spirit comes to mind)
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...p/checked.html

Checked Baggage Update
Delta does not currently accept cash as a form of payment for transactions and checked bag fees at Las Vegas (LAS), Oakland (OAK), Portland, OR (PDX) and San Diego (SAN). Customers without an accepted form of payment may elect to purchase a Visa gift pre-paid credit payment card from a kiosk provided by a third party vendor for a nominal fee.
Back in January 2017, this list only included LAS and PDX.

https://web.archive.org/web/20170129...p/checked.html
Old Jun 22, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by mnbp
Guess I should have specified "MSP (my usual reference point) for now" in my statement. Looks like a no-cash rule is creeping in, airport by airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.