Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL introduces facial recognition kiosks at MSP

Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

DL has installed some new kiosks at MSP that use facial recognition. My understanding is that the new technology matches your face to your passport photo and then prints not only boarding passes but also checked bag tags. The idea seems to be to eliminate the step of showing photo ID to a DL agent when checking a bag.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
I love this concept. But given that passports can be valid for 10 years, my passport photo looks drastically different than what I look like now (aka 30 pounds ago, different hair, etc.).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by bj27
I love this concept. But given that passports can be valid for 10 years, my passport photo looks drastically different than what I look like now (aka 30 pounds ago, different hair, etc.).
Facial recognition software is suppose to observe immutable facial characteristics (such as the distance between your eyes) so that aging, weight loss/gain, hair length, and facial hair don't cause false negatives. From what I've read, the tests are in cooperation with the Department of Homeland Security (and utilize their database and facial recognition software), so you would hope the system would be fairly robust and advanced.

Cosmetic surgery could cause issues, but one is supposed to get a new ID following significant cosmetic surgery.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
DL has installed some new kiosks at MSP that use facial recognition. My understanding is that the new technology matches your face to your passport photo and then prints not only boarding passes but also checked bag tags. The idea seems to be to eliminate the step of showing photo ID to a DL agent when checking a bag.

I don't see how this will speed up the process if you are checking a bag. Even though you have your bag tags, you still have to stand in line to hand over your bag to the agent. Maybe if you are not checking a bag.

Just glad that MSP now has Clear and with TSA Precheck, things move quite quickly now.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Saj8986
I don't see how this will speed up the process if you are checking a bag. Even though you have your bag tags, you still have to stand in line to hand over your bag to the agent. Maybe if you are not checking a bag.

Just glad that MSP now has Clear and with TSA Precheck, things move quite quickly now.
If you're not checking a bag, you could use one of the old regular kiosks to do OLCI.

I think the idea is that after using the new kiosks, people will load their own bag onto the belt or a big cart, thereby bypassing the need to see an agent at all.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
I think the idea is that after using the new kiosks, people will load their own bag onto the belt or a big cart, thereby bypassing the need to see an agent at all.
But until they simplify how bag tags are applied, it still would take a Delta person, and the passenger still has to stick around to indicate which bag belongs to which tag.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

What I saw seemed to have the passenger applying the bag tag.

I don't know what would happen if you were eligible for SkyPriority on your bag tag.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:19 pm

What I saw seemed to have the passenger applying the bag tag.

I don't know what would happen if you were eligible for SkyPriority on your bag tag.
I imagine that the yellow priority tags are mostly for show now since most bag routing and handling at large airports is automated.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Originally Posted by ruckzac
I imagine that the yellow priority tags are mostly for show now since most bag routing and handling at large airports is automated.
While it is automated, a friend who did a summer gig as a baggage handler told me the Sky Priority bags all go in a separate container that gets loaded last/pulled out first (in theory) as per SOP.

Keep in mind that most bags are routed and handled automatically, but only so much as getting bags from the check-in counter to the correct gate.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:41 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I saw this today at MSP. There were lots of agents helping passengers, so it was hard to tell how efficient it will be when there are fewer Delta staff. The passengers do tag the bags and load onto the belts, which weigh them in the process. I think there's an area near the belts with a scale, where people with overweight bags can go to rearrange the weight.

This new process is set up between the regular baggage check area and Sky Priority.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
I saw this today at MSP. There were lots of agents helping passengers, so it was hard to tell how efficient it will be when there are fewer Delta staff. The passengers do tag the bags and load onto the belts, which weigh them in the process. I think there's an area near the belts with a scale, where people with overweight bags can go to rearrange the weight.

This new process is set up between the regular baggage check area and Sky Priority.
Is that what was going on? I rolled in at an extremely early 9:00 AM and saw cameras filming something in that area and things looking different.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by yohanson
Is that what was going on? I rolled in at an extremely early 9:00 AM and saw cameras filming something in that area and things looking different.
Yes, lots of cameras. This is the first full implementation of this system. According to the Delta rep, other trials have been more limited. I think the cameras were Delta filming; I don't know whether some were media.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Isn't the idea to give the US Govt. ever more information about and control over persons flying (or attempting to fly) from US airports? This and the JetBlue trial are a move in that direction: https://findbiometrics.com/delta-air...k-intl-406141/
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

It's been on local TV news today, including video taken at the airport showing the new kiosks which I assume was filmed today. There's also a DL VP named Toby Broberg who has said a few words on camera. The project manager (I'm not sure whether I'm allowed to give his name) also spoke very briefly to one local news reporter. There were red, white, and blue balloons in the area.

Something that might limit the staffing/efficiency/cost saving gains is that it's apparently completely self serve only if you use a passport rather than a driver's license for the photo ID. So the system could be of limited value to most domestic travelers.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jun 19, 2017 at 9:35 pm Reason: Corrected title
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bj27
While it is automated, a friend who did a summer gig as a baggage handler told me the Sky Priority bags all go in a separate container that gets loaded last/pulled out first (in theory) as per SOP.

Keep in mind that most bags are routed and handled automatically, but only so much as getting bags from the check-in counter to the correct gate.
If you are in a window seat you can see this happening. I see it many times a year. Any yellow tag is put to side and is loaded last. However it definitely is messed up sometimes as I had bags come off almost last in Orlando. Yellow tags were all throughout the bags.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.