Wiki Posts
Search

HELP: DL Rebooked me on UA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Question HELP: DL Rebooked me on UA

Scheduled to fly HNL-LAX-SFO today at 7:00AM, but woke in the middle of the night to see DL rebooked me on UA direct from HNL-SFO due to a nearly 7 hour delay on my original HNL-LAX leg.

Fare class is in full Y, but will I earn DL MQMs, MQDs, etc? Also, is there any chance in having them book me on a different carrier? Any upgrade shot on UA since I'm booked with Y fare?

Thanks! I've never been rebooked on a different airline by Delta, so it's a whole new world for me and I'd REALLY rather not fly United given all the horrible reviews I've read of their service.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SFCav
Scheduled to fly HNL-LAX-SFO today at 7:00AM, but woke in the middle of the night to see DL rebooked me on UA direct from HNL-SFO due to a nearly 7 hour delay on my original HNL-LAX leg.

Fare class is in full Y, but will I earn DL MQMs, MQDs, etc? Also, is there any chance in having them book me on a different carrier? Any upgrade shot on UA since I'm booked with Y fare?

Thanks! I've never been rebooked on a different airline by Delta, so it's a whole new world for me and I'd REALLY rather not fly United given all the horrible reviews I've read of their service.
You can call and ask for original routing credit so that they credit what you should've flown. Cant rebook on AA since no interline agreement. Leaves AS. By the time yiu conbect theres no difference likely between AS and waiting for another DL flight. Id stick with the UA option.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:37 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
If you want to fly Delta, call and ask to be rebooked, but you may have a long wait.

If you accept the UA routing you'll get original routing credit from Delta and you can credit the full Y UA ticket to your favorite Star Alliance program.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:40 am
C W

Originally Posted by flyerCO
You can call and ask for original routing credit so that they credit what you should've flown. Cant rebook on AA since no interline agreement. Leaves AS. By the time yiu conbect theres no difference likely between AS and waiting for another DL flight. Id stick with the UA option.
Does DL still interline with AS now that the partnership is over?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
If you hate UA that much, you could always just stick with your original routing?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by C W
AFAIK yes, just no codeshares, nor awards.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by C W
Yes. The U.S. Big 3 carriers have interline agreements with way more carriers than just their alliance partners. The DL/AS interline agreement endures.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:53 am
C W

Originally Posted by flyerCO
AFAIK yes, just no codeshares, nor awards.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes. The U.S. Big 3 carriers have interline agreements with way more carriers than just their alliance partners. The DL/AS interline agreement endures.
Very glad to hear this. AS interlining has often saved me flying ex-PDX.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by C W
If you accept the UA routing you'll get original routing credit from Delta and you can credit the full Y UA ticket to your favorite Star Alliance program.
The full Y ticket will have been paid for at an extremely low interline price, so don't credit it to any program that is dollars based.

David
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold
Originally Posted by SFCav
I've never been rebooked on a different airline by Delta, so it's a whole new world for me and I'd REALLY rather not fly United given all the horrible reviews I've read of their service.
I fly DL and Skyteam all the time, but there are times when I fly UA too. They aren't that bad. They aren't DL, but they're not Spirit.

Originally Posted by DiverDave
The full Y ticket will have been paid for at an extremely low interline price, so don't credit it to any program that is dollars based.

David
Like David said, don't credit this flight to UA. I'd credit it to Copa Airlines. Copa is mileage based, there's no bonus for full Y, so you'll only get 100%, but Copa partners with AeroMexico, and AirFrance/KLM. So could start accruing points there on UA flights.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by zhickman
Like David said, don't credit this flight to UA. I'd credit it to Copa Airlines. Copa is mileage based, there's no bonus for full Y, so you'll only get 100%, but Copa partners with AeroMexico, and AirFrance/KLM. So could start accruing points there on UA flights.
Miles and More (Lufthansa, etc..) will get you 150% on UA Y.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I thought DL shut down double-dipping in scenarios like this, and that you could either credit to UA or another *A program, or you could ask for ORC on DL, but not both?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Thanks, folks! My main concern (besides crappy United service) is getting stuck in a middle seat on a 4 row of economy on their 777. Avoiding those seats, especially on these longer flights, is most of the point for declaring loyalty to one airline. Anyway to force DL to book economy plus or does Y class already grant that? I'm pretty sure I'll get no where if I ask United for help in getting a good seat...
Old Jun 19, 2017, 9:57 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Glob, CC Gold, Avis President's Club
The only upgrade chance you got is if you have UA status - but the upgrade lists for HNL-SFO can be quite long and the first class to coach ratio is quite low on the high density 777's.

If you put a UA frequent flyer number on your UA reservation you should get credit on United (doesn't work the other way around as DL doesn't credit other INVOL tickets), and then request ORC from DL to get your MQM/MQD/MQS's.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: First and Last time ever DL DM
Originally Posted by C W
I was rebooked on NH a couple of months ago. I already got ORC from Delta, but you are saying I can have ANA credit me for that flight?!

Edit: Yes!! It worked!! I just did the retroactive mileage request on ANA's site with no problem. It asks for a 13 digit ticket number but make sure you enter the entire number.

Last edited by LAStotheWorld; Jun 19, 2017 at 10:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.