HELP: DL Rebooked me on UA

Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Originally Posted by SFCav
Scheduled to fly HNL-LAX-SFO today at 7:00AM, but woke in the middle of the night to see DL rebooked me on UA direct from HNL-SFO due to a nearly 7 hour delay on my original HNL-LAX leg.

Fare class is in full Y, but will I earn DL MQMs, MQDs, etc? Also, is there any chance in having them book me on a different carrier? Any upgrade shot on UA since I'm booked with Y fare?

Thanks! I've never been rebooked on a different airline by Delta, so it's a whole new world for me and I'd REALLY rather not fly United given all the horrible reviews I've read of their service.

Your profile says your a Delta Diamond, so why not call the Diamond desk, surely this is something that they would be happy to do for a Diamond.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. You need not accept the proposed reroute. If you are willing to wait out the 7-hour delay, just ask to be rebooked onto DL and be done with it.

2. While DL can easily "see" that you are double-booking if the reroute is within ST, DL has no visibility into *A. Just make your ORC request to DL and then a *A request once DL has credited to DL. But, do understand that *A awards on the fare basis paid, not booked. Thus, almost all reroutes onto UA show as Y, but won't credit as Y.

3. You can't force DL to book into E+, but you can ask. You may well find that the seat assignment won't stick and you wind up in whatever is left at the gate.

4. Alternatively take a look at other HNL-SFO routings and check to see if any are cheaper than what you paid DL. It's not likely, but it happens. If you find something cheaper, simply ask DL for a refund of the HNL-SFO and purchase what you want.

5. While all three alliances require interline ticketing agreements within the alliance, interline agreements have nothing directly to do with alliances. DL can rebook onto any carrier with an interline agreement. Largely, this means only no AA (on the HNL hop).
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM; Hilton Gold; Hertz President circle
Just a quick update for anyone who cares!

Called the diamond line and was first told there isn't anything they can do to help since I was transiting on to ATL (!). HUCA. Agent says there is a 10:00 AM but it's completely sold out, I ask her to put me on standby and she says she can't do that without having a confirmed Delta ticket, I reason with her that this is still a 006 ticket (even the UA receipt read as such) and asked her to check with her supervisor. She comes back on the line 8-10 minutes later saying a seat opened up and they're able to confirm me on the 10:00 AM.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Just a quick update for anyone who cares!

Called the diamond line and was first told there isn't anything they can do to help since I was transiting on to ATL (!). HUCA. Agent says there is a 10:00 AM but it's completely sold out, I ask her to put me on standby and she says she can't do that without having a confirmed Delta ticket, I reason with her that this is still a 006 ticket (even the UA receipt read as such) and asked her to check with her supervisor. She comes back on the line 8-10 minutes later saying a seat opened up and they're able to confirm me on the 10:00 AM.
Can you get a seat assignment? My guess is that the supervisor forced you onto the flight, essentially overbooking it by one more. I'd go to the airport early. Also, try to do OLCI as a way of making sure that your ticket was correctly reissued.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can you get a seat assignment? My guess is that the supervisor forced you onto the flight, essentially overbooking it by one more. I'd go to the airport early. Also, try to do OLCI as a way of making sure that your ticket was correctly reissued.
Thanks for the heads up! They did confirm me in a seat and when I went into my delta account I was already checked in.

The REAL kicker here is that there are 24 C+ seats open on this flight, per the upgrade list on the app. I know that's not always an accurate indication of actual seats available (maybe someone with EF can confirm, DL 1283 on June 19), but seems suspect in any case.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks for the heads up! They did confirm me in a seat and when I went into my delta account I was already checked in.

The REAL kicker here is that there are 24 C+ seats open on this flight, per the upgrade list on the app. I know that's not always an accurate indication of actual seats available (maybe someone with EF can confirm, DL 1283 on June 19), but seems suspect in any case.
Can you see how many C+ seats are open in the seat map?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Can you see how many C+ seats are open in the seat map?
Looks like there are 11 open based on the seat map.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:26 am

I suspect it won't work because the flight is full and DL is no longer willing to sell tickets, but have you tried to do a dummy booking when checked in to see whether upgrade and "upgrade" (to FC and C+ respectively) inventory is currently available?

Obviously there cannot be 24 C+ seats available if only 11 show on the seat map, but DL could be in the middle of an aircraft change.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:38 am
Original Poster

I suspect it won't work because the flight is full and DL is no longer willing to sell tickets, but have you tried to do a dummy booking when checked in to see whether upgrade and "upgrade" (to FC and C+ respectively) inventory is currently available?

Obviously there cannot be 24 C+ seats available if only 11 show on the seat map, but DL could be in the middle of an aircraft change.
Yeah, I couldn't pull up this flight on the DL website - I only knew about it because I remembered that it's one of the only 767s they operate on the HNL- LAX route. There are about 18 people on the standby list, which I suspect are the other passengers who didn't want to wait for the delayed 7:00 AM.

I would have just waited for the delayed flight, but it would've gotten in to LAX too late to make a connection to SFO (the last DL flight leaves at 9:00 PM and we would've gotten in around 10:30 PM without any further delays).

With these amounts of seats "available" it's really mind boggling to me that they would rather book me on another airline all together than put me on the scheduled 10:00 AM. But I guess that's why I don't work for an airline
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes. The U.S. Big 3 carriers have interline agreements with way more carriers than just their alliance partners. The DL/AS interline agreement endures.
For what it's worth, Google Flights has given me the option of buying a mixed-carrier ticket -- one segment operated by United, one by Delta -- on United.com. I've never tried it, though.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Yeah, I couldn't pull up this flight on the DL website - I only knew about it because I remembered that it's one of the only 767s they operate on the HNL- LAX route. There are about 18 people on the standby list, which I suspect are the other passengers who didn't want to wait for the delayed 7:00 AM.

I would have just waited for the delayed flight, but it would've gotten in to LAX too late to make a connection to SFO (the last DL flight leaves at 9:00 PM and we would've gotten in around 10:30 PM without any further delays).

With these amounts of seats "available" it's really mind boggling to me that they would rather book me on another airline all together than put me on the scheduled 10:00 AM. But I guess that's why I don't work for an airline
That could have fun. If the delay was mechanical and not weather, you could have gotten a hotel at Delta's expense, right?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
That could have fun. If the delay was mechanical and not weather, you could have gotten a hotel at Delta's expense, right?
The first phone agent on the diamond line said it was a mechanical issue, but didn't know more than that. I don't know if they pay for hotel because of mechanical issues - I'm sure someone else on here can advise.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 2:29 pm

The first phone agent on the diamond line said it was a mechanical issue, but didn't know more than that. I don't know if they pay for hotel because of mechanical issues - I'm sure someone else on here can advise.
They should, especially for a DM, but YMMV.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.