FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Upgrade help (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1848888-upgrade-help.html)

dtwmsy Jun 18, 2017 5:28 pm

Upgrade help

I have a T fare ticket DTW-MCO and would like to upgrade with miles. I can't find my answer on DL website and I'm just short of calling. Figured I would ask here first since y'all are my "go to" for answers. I have X fare inbound but I'm not concerned about getting upgrade for that leg. Is this a feasible option? Thanks!

C W Jun 18, 2017 5:35 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk, dtwmsy! :)

You can upgrade the T fare with miles if there is mileage upgrade inventory, which is not guaranteed. I don't know how many miles will be required, I'm sure somebody will know and post it shortly. However, I would suspect it will be a poor value.

You may want to consider seeing if you have a FCM (First Class Monetization) pay-to-upgrade offer. You can do this by looking at the itinerary or seat-map on Delta.com.

Finally, you may want to hold off on calling for a day or two. I just tried to call as a PM and was told an hour wait, apparently there is severe weather on the East Coast.

dtwmsy Jun 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks, CW! The C+ cash upgrade was $89 and FC was $269. I would rather use miles if possible. I can't believe they want that much for C+. I used to pay less than $50 for C+ upgrade and would normally do it when I did online check in. I try to fly nonrev but the availability can be slim to none and I wanted a confirmed seat (Disney!!). Thanks for your help!

javabytes Jun 18, 2017 5:45 pm

Upgrading with miles from a T fare will run 30k each way, based on what we know of the hidden award charts.

C W Jun 18, 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by dtwmsy (Post 28458673)
Thanks, CW! The C+ cash upgrade was $89 and FC was $269. I would rather use miles if possible. I can't believe they want that much for C+. I used to pay less than $50 for C+ upgrade and would normally do it when I did online check in. I try to fly nonrev but the availability can be slim to none and I wanted a confirmed seat (Disney!!). Thanks for your help!

No problem :)

Assuming that you're not flying imminently, I would keep your eyes on the FC upgrade price and see if it fluctuates.

I'm sure somebody will be along who can tell you what the mileage cost would be.

Finally, note that there has been extensive discussion on this board recently about the changes to FCM. You may be seeing a price online that is not the same as the difference between the FC fare and the fare you paid. However, the latter is still available by calling and a phone agent will be happy to price out that upgrade cost for you.

Enjoy your trip!

C W Jun 18, 2017 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by javabytes (Post 28458680)
Upgrading with miles from a T fare will run 30k each way, based on what we know of the hidden award charts.

I would take $269 FCM over 30k mileage upgrade easily as I value SM at more than $0.01. FCM will also allow more RDM and MQM to be earned.

I would still call and see the difference between the online FCM offer and the fare difference to upgrade, and then choose the better option.

flyerCO Jun 18, 2017 7:22 pm

You can also select a seat in FC/C+ on seatmap and it'll give a price to upgrade that flight alone.

jdrtravel Jun 18, 2017 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28458922)
You can also select a seat in FC/C+ on seatmap and it'll give a price to upgrade that flight alone.

Yes but as a previous poster said, you should call in and ask for the price of buying up to F before doing this as there have been widespread reports of the online prices being higher.

pharmawalk Jun 18, 2017 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by jdrtravel (Post 28459300)
Yes but as a previous poster said, you should call in and ask for the price of buying up to F before doing this as there have been widespread reports of the online prices being higher.

I concur - i was getting wild pricing for FC upgrade on a ticket and called and was offered a price that was half of what was online.

dtwmsy Oct 10, 2017 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by C W (Post 28458686)
No problem :)

Assuming that you're not flying imminently, I would keep your eyes on the FC upgrade price and see if it fluctuates.

I'm sure somebody will be along who can tell you what the mileage cost would be.

Finally, note that there has been extensive discussion on this board recently about the changes to FCM. You may be seeing a price online that is not the same as the difference between the FC fare and the fare you paid. However, the latter is still available by calling and a phone agent will be happy to price out that upgrade cost for you.

Enjoy your trip!

I'm glad I waited! Since it was a confirmed for less fare, I was able to get a first class upgrade for $138. Thank you!

jrl767 Oct 10, 2017 2:55 pm

good result

however there will be a very irritated DM out there :p

C W Oct 10, 2017 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by dtwmsy (Post 28916929)
I'm glad I waited! Since it was a confirmed for less fare, I was able to get a first class upgrade for $138. Thank you!

Happy I was able to help!

Enjoy your flight :)

xliioper Oct 10, 2017 3:12 pm

Discount F fares on this route are $333 while T fares are $199. Not really a discount.

aero0729 Oct 10, 2017 8:19 pm

No matter what this is a rip off. You would pay $100 per hour to sit in domestic first on a crappy plane ? Or 30,000 miles. It will take $6000 in spend to get those miles back

jrl767 Oct 11, 2017 8:26 am

Originally Posted by aero0729 (Post 28918060)
No matter what this is a rip off. You would pay $100 per hour to sit in domestic first on a crappy plane ? Or 30,000 miles. It will take $6000 in spend to get those miles back

in “FCM - The Definitive Thread” there’s a fairly widely held consensus that $1/minute is a reasonable metric for the “value” of a purchased UG ... DTW-MCO is ~2.5 hours, so $138 is very close to meeting that threshold

you are of course entitled to make it known that you hold a dissenting opinion