Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Would you risk 1.25 hr connection at FCO w LH on to TXL?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz

I will be flying next Monday D1 to FCO. I originally was going to spend a day in Rome, but now it would be an advantage to immediately catch a LH flight to TXL.

I am holding a LH economy ticket for the next day and have no problem with paying LH biz. I was hoping 1.25 hours at FCO was doable but looking at recent records the ATL-FCO 333 flights have often been 30-60 minutes late.

There is a later LH flight to TXL but the layover would be too long and I would miss the personal connection I am trying to make.

I know better than to do this so do any of you have reason to believe otherwise?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Xeno
I will be flying next Monday D1 to FCO. I originally was going to spend a day in Rome, but now it would be an advantage to immediately catch a LH flight to TXL.

I am holding a LH economy ticket for the next day and have no problem with paying LH biz. I was hoping 1.25 hours at FCO was doable but looking at recent records the ATL-FCO 333 flights have often been 30-60 minutes late.

There is a later LH flight to TXL but the layover would be too long and I would miss the personal connection I am trying to make.

I know better than to do this so do any of you have reason to believe otherwise?
FCO is usually a mess. I would go for three hours or more, especially with the change of carriers (and lack of protection on the connect).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Unfortunately, this scenario of needing to consider a 1.25 hr connection at FCO so I can go on to TXL on LH after arriving in D1 has come back as a live option.

Does anyone think I can make this? My LH ticket has some flexibility so they might put me on a later flight if DL ATL-FCO is late.

Yesterday, #64 arrived 30 minutes early which I think is not the norm.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 25, 2017 at 2:15 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:20 pm

No opinion about those specific airports or airlines.

As someone who always plans to get to the gate 90 minutes before boarding, the anxiety of simply knowing I had a 1.25 hr connection would ruin my whole trip. Even if the arrival and departure were from adjacent gates, a delay of that duration is so common I would only risk it if my real plan were to miss the flight and spend a much longer layover.

Some people enjoy taking risks. If you are one of them, go for it. If you don't want to miss your connection, make other plans.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AF Gold
Well, FlightStats shows an average delay of 33 minutes for DL64 and you'll have to go through passport control. And maybe you have to change the terminal. So it's getting very tight in my opinion.
By the way, is there really a direct LH flight to TXL? Last time I was in FCO, I just remember LH flights to FRA and MUC. In case you have to connect anyway, there should be quite some options between a very tight connection and a long layover.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dbhdbh
No opinion about those specific airports or airlines.

As someone who always plans to get to the gate 90 minutes before boarding, the anxiety of simply knowing I had a 1.25 hr connection would ruin my whole trip. Even if the arrival and departure were from adjacent gates, a delay of that duration is so common I would only risk it if my real plan were to miss the flight and spend a much longer layover.

Some people enjoy taking risks. If you are one of them, go for it. If you don't want to miss your connection, make other plans.
If you never miss a flight, you're spending far too much of your life at airports. To most people who travel a lot, especially for business, getting to the gate 90 minutes before every flight would be inconceivable. Even if someone has lots of time and rarely travels, it's hard to see how this can be a good idea in that there are generally more pleasant places to spend time in an airport than waiting at one's gate for so long. You know the flight isn't going start boarding that early, so there's no point to being at the gate.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
ALways being at the gate 90 minutes is itself a huge risk - you're risking missing out on something fun/exciting/useful.

That said, this particular connection may or may not be "risky". We just don't have enough info. What's the downside if you have to catch the next flight? How easy/expensive will it be to catch that next flight if you need to? etc. etc.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by quaxpilot
Well, FlightStats shows an average delay of 33 minutes for DL64 and you'll have to go through passport control. And maybe you have to change the terminal. So it's getting very tight in my opinion.
By the way, is there really a direct LH flight to TXL? Last time I was in FCO, I just remember LH flights to FRA and MUC. In case you have to connect anyway, there should be quite some options between a very tight connection and a long layover.
Yes, there is a later connection (as noted in #1 ) but a late arrival means I miss the personal connection that is the reason for taking this kind of high risk connection.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn
ALways being at the gate 90 minutes is itself a huge risk - you're risking missing out on something fun/exciting/useful.

That said, this particular connection may or may not be "risky". We just don't have enough info. What's the downside if you have to catch the next flight? How easy/expensive will it be to catch that next flight if you need to? etc. etc.
Isn't the question whether it's worth trying for the OP?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:11 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't the question whether it's worth trying for the OP?
well, yeah. But he asked for opinions on whether this was dumb or not. WHether it's dumb or not depends.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvn
well, yeah. But he asked for opinions on whether this was dumb or not. WHether it's dumb or not depends.
The cost factor does not determine my decision other than now the LH biz fare is now out of reach which might have given me some latitude. So I am stuck with economy and doubt whether I can make it unless we are at least on time.

Edited to say I finally checked terminals and DL arrives in T3 and LH departs T3.

Last edited by Xeno; Jun 25, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you never miss a flight, you're spending far too much of your life at airports. To most people who travel a lot, especially for business, getting to the gate 90 minutes before every flight would be inconceivable. Even if someone has lots of time and rarely travels, it's hard to see how this can be a good idea in that there are generally more pleasant places to spend time in an airport than waiting at one's gate for so long. You know the flight isn't going start boarding that early, so there's no point to being at the gate.
OTOH if you use the time to work on your laptop, read a book, etc. that you would have been doing anyway, you haven't really lost much time, merely shifted when you leave for the airport relative to those other activities.

I certainly understand the spirit of what you and pvn are saying though, and it has its merits as well.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:37 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I just took this flight to FCO last week. It left ATL 1 hr late, but arrived on time. It came in to a nice, new terminal in FCO that I had not been in before, but it required much walking. On the other hand, passport control was a breeze. No line, finished in 2-3 mins.

I suspect LH flies out of a different terminal, however, and getting there would present the main problem. If this is booked on separate tickets (and it sounds as if that's true) I wouldn't risk it myself.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I just took this flight to FCO last week. It left ATL 1 hr late, but arrived on time. It came in to a nice, new terminal in FCO that I had not been in before, but it required much walking. On the other hand, passport control was a breeze. No line, finished in 2-3 mins.

I suspect LH flies out of a different terminal, however, and getting there would present the main problem. If this is booked on separate tickets (and it sounds as if that's true) I wouldn't risk it myself.
Nice new terminal? DL flight status said T3 which is what LH would use.

Yes, it is two tickets but I am back to looking at LH biz which gives me more options.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

I decided against taking this risk, but I am in ATL and the current projection is that we reach FCO 45 minutes early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.