Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diamond Medallion - no longer getting instant upgrade to Economy Plus?

Diamond Medallion - no longer getting instant upgrade to Economy Plus?

Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Maybe THIS is the reason why! #KeepDescending Delta

Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:57 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Renes Points

I find it amusing how the photo shows D1 seats and meal service.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 6:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
That too!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Thanks all for the feedback. I called my corp. travel agent and she recommended she cancel/ rebook since it appeared to be 'hung up'. Whatever that means.

That took place over the weekend and when I check Monday, I did get cleared up to
C+ so I guess it was a technical problem of some sort with my corp. travel service.

Last edited by beachsideflier; Jun 20, 2017 at 8:10 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
oh wow! that's pretty scary if it's just 5 bucks to snag a C+ seat.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
DP.

ATL-ROC and ATL-YYZ booked into Main Cabin. Hit 'refresh' from my trips and all segments, including connection, instantly to C+. PM.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by appleguru
while technically true, I have not yet seen a case where C+ seats are available for sale but do not clear for upgrades. (in every case where there are open seats in C+ on the seatmap and I didn't clear, no C+ seats were actually being offered for sale.)
I've not gotten the "upgrade" to C+ with open seats on the seat map but I never checked to see if they were selling C+. I booked a flight last Wednesday MSP-LAN for today and didn't get "upgraded" to 1B but I did get "upgraded" for Friday's flight LAN-MSP. I was stuck in 2B on today's flight.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:23 am

Location: formerly Gold now Diamond, formerly MSY, now LAX, formerly NW, now DL
Programs: Hyatt Plat, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Delta Diamond/1MM
There does seem to be some slowness recently with most of my tickets booked on DL.dum. They do come shortly afterwards though and then it's all fine. I book my out very far in advance usually so I can understand the last minute ones may not have upgrade class availability
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LBJ
For the record, there is no guarantee that you will get an upgrade to C+ just because there is an open seat. Like FC upgrades, DL limits the number of C+ seats available for upgrades and if there is no C+ upgrade inventory you will not be upgraded nor will be able to pick one just because there is an open seat. For a flight booked fairly far in advance, there will generally be C+ upgrade inventory. But there are no guarantees.

I booked a DTW-LAX flight a couple weeks out once and while there were still a few open C+ seats, there was no upgrade inventory and thus I was not upgraded.
Just another sign that ComfortPlus may end up being a stepping stone to DL cutting back further on the unlimited upgrade to first class benefit for Medallions.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Just another sign that ComfortPlus may end up being a stepping stone to DL cutting back further on the unlimited upgrade to first class benefit for Medallions.
I think that will be the day I just give up on trying to maintain status with DL. I have many opportunities with MCO in my backyard to take directs to wherever I'm trying to go on various other airlines. Could save some time going direct but instead, I fly out of MLB so I'm on a Delta plane and route through ATL on my way to a destination.

It sounds like this is the 'classic race to the bottom' strategy of the all the airlines when it comes to business travellers.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We've been hearing the same prediction from the doomsayers for close to a decade. With FCM now firmly in place there's little point in taking it away as most F seats are now being sold anyway. Even though upgrades are now rare, I'm quite sure DL realizes it's important to keep the carrot out there and that taking it away completely would cause a mass exodus of flyers. Not going to happen.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:00 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by beachsideflier
oh wow! that's pretty scary if it's just 5 bucks to snag a C+ seat.
Pretty scary to think that anyone on here would balk at $5. If you do, you aren't what Delta is looking for in a customer. You don't bring value if $5 is earth shattering.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
We've been hearing the same prediction from the doomsayers for close to a decade. With FCM now firmly in place there's little point in taking it away as most F seats are now being sold anyway. Even though upgrades are now rare, I'm quite sure DL realizes it's important to keep the carrot out there and that taking it away completely would cause a mass exodus of flyers. Not going to happen.
Completely going away? Doubtful. You can tease it all day long and get upgraded once or twice a year and that keeps people 'happy'. If you take it away there will be an airline or two that will stick around and still offer upgrades.

I do think the PE on the a350 with no C+ was done knowing they remove all upgrades except for certificates.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 1:31 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus Gold, HHonors, Priority Pass, Global entry/TSA Pre
I'm just sitting here surprised no one has said that economy plus is UA and not DL.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 4:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Pretty scary to think that anyone on here would balk at $5. If you do, you aren't what Delta is looking for in a customer. You don't bring value if $5 is earth shattering.
Ridiculous! Delta clearly states both C+ & 1st "unlimited" upgrades are a perk for those spending huge amounts of time and money each year with Delta.

Using your logic Delta should start charge $5 for bags for everyone but then again the free bag is also a published perk of those who spend to hold the Delta AMEX cards (unless you are saying the AMEX partnership is not bringing value to $DAL shareholders).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.