Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Requires Airport visit prior to Flights to confirm Credit Card and Identity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Requires Airport visit prior to Flights to confirm Credit Card and Identity

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:46 am

Actually, after my post, I looked at the contract of carriage and didn't see anything allowing Delta to deny passage on a valid ticket due to not having the credit card in my possession. Of course, I could have missed it.

Where is this allowed in the contract of carriage?

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes. Also credit card company policies which you're bound to as a card holder allow for this. This is nothing new, and has been done for decades.

They'll fly you if you can't show the card, just they'll require another FOP.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Actually, after my post, I looked at the contract of carriage and didn't see anything allowing Delta to deny passage on a valid ticket due to not having the credit card in my possession. Of course, I could have missed it.

Where is this allowed in the contract of carriage?
E) Failure to Comply with Delta’s Rules or Contract of Carriage
When a passenger fails or refuses to comply with any of Delta’s rules or regulations or any term
of the contract of carriage.

and while not 100% clear i believe this also

C) Proof of Identity
When a passenger refuses on request to produce positive identification; provided, however, that
Delta shall have no obligation to require positive identification of persons purchasing tickets
and/or presenting tickets for the purpose of boarding aircraft.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
The warning that appeared wasn't the biggest but it was at the top of the receipt but easily missed if you don't speak English, which a lot of people on the SDQ flight might not speak.
When you say receipt, are you talking about the email confirmation from DL? Or paper receipt? Sure wasn't on my award ticket receipt I got from DL in my inbox.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
When you say receipt, are you talking about the email confirmation from DL? Or paper receipt? Sure wasn't on my award ticket receipt I got from DL in my inbox.
Sorry didn't see this until today. It doesn't actually appear in the email conf. It appeared on the landing page on delta.com after you purchased the ticket at the top.

Also I showed up at JFK for my flight today, I couldn't use the kiosk none would read my card. I had to wait in line to see an actual agent. Then as my luck would have it, dog barked like I was a sausage in my pocket and was jumping on me and licking me. So I became a POI. At least being a POI speeds you through the security line. Saved me the 85 for pre check.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I had something similar happen last week. My billing address for my credit card on file changed, and AMEX seems to have foobared the unit number. So I got denied a couple of times trying to figure it out. I finally gave up and switched to a different card, and got the message that if I was the purchase the ticket I'd have to show up early and wouldn't be able to check in on line.

Given that this is the back half of a day trip (out on AA, back on DL) and I'm going to be cutting it close as it is, I ended up just bailing out of the reservation completely and closed the browser. Fired up a different browser and used a card I'd used before and for which I hadn't changed the address yet, and it worked just fine.

I won't be surprised, however, if this is the first time in probably 200 flights where my Global Entry fails on me and I have to go for the full screening.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 11:08 pm

This happens to me pretty regularly for African destinations as mentioned above, if my first leg to AMS or CDG is on DL.

When buying online in such a case I always get a warning before the payment is processed, telling me that I will need to show the CC in person at the airport in order to check in for the flight.

Yes, this means you can't check in online. However it doesn't add too much time to my overall travel time. You don't even need to see an agent at the desk if you aren't checking a bag. The self service kiosks will ask you to swipe the card used for purchase if you try to check in on them. After swiping it, boarding passes should print (and/or show up on your phone) and you're good to go.

Yes, you can get the issue cleared by going to the airport before the day of travel, but I find that unnecessary since you can get it solved in a few minutes on the day of departure. Done this at JFK at least 5 times, and even once at DL kiosk at YYZ.

EDIT: just saw that the kiosks would not scan the OP's CC, which does seem strange.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:41 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
I won't be surprised, however, if this is the first time in probably 200 flights where my Global Entry fails on me and I have to go for the full screening.
With kiosks the "full screening" is trivial. Usually under 5 minutes for the entire process.

And furthermore, you can line jump by using the "mobile passport" app. It allows you to pre enter what would be done via the kiosk, then you skip on by those straight to somebody who just takes a quick look at you.

Last edited by exwannabe; Jun 28, 2017 at 1:05 am
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:31 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
What would happen if you buy a ticket then at some point between the purchase and the flight the CC used is lost or stolen?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Keith2004
What would happen if you buy a ticket then at some point between the purchase and the flight the CC used is lost or stolen?
they refund the purchase and then charge to a new card you have.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:43 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
they refund the purchase and then charge to a new card you have.
Interesting

Thank you,
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

So I complained to Delta about when I went to the Airport the agent didn't want to help me because it wasn't time for me to check in, even though I tried to explain to her I wasn't there to check in.

Got a call yesterday and 8k miles for the hassle.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 9:51 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Last week I was traveling to SDQ from ORY with a connection in JFK. As usual, checked in with AF and the CC requirement is not a blocking issue with their system. Arrived at JFK, got a DL-issued BP without any issues at T2 after having my International documents verified. Used the BP at the SkyClub, again, no issues/warning.

During boarding, my BP beeped. GA first tells me that there is an issue with my Upgrade (she assumed I was upgraded since I am a PLT) but I was on a paid Business Class ticket. When I asked her to see my fare class, she pulled me aside and started looking at her computer. After 2-3 minutes she found, apparently buried somewhere, that my ticket was flagged by security. A quick call to a supervisor fixed the issue and I was allowed to board.

Funny thing is that I have been flying the exact same itinerary (although departing from CDG before the ORY-JFK flight was put in place) for 6 years and when booking with the same credit card, I always have an issue. It seems to be a combination of Destination / CC country, since my Amex was issued in the DR.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

I just purchased a ticket to SDQ the week of Sept. 5th (Might want to take a look fairs a low) and I didn't get prompted to verify my CC.

Also have you noticed they added a SDQ > ATL flight I never saw it before and almost booked that with a connection to JFK.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 6:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
I just purchased a ticket to SDQ the week of Sept. 5th (Might want to take a look fairs a low) and I didn't get prompted to verify my CC.

Also have you noticed they added a SDQ > ATL flight I never saw it before and almost booked that with a connection to JFK.
ATL-SDQ has been around for a long time, it was the first DL route to SDQ and started in 2006 I believe. (the first route to the DR was JFK-STI back in 2005) and then started JFK-SDQ late in 2006. The flight is very friendly for connections to South America since it leaves ATL mid-morning and arrives back in ATL around 5 PM, but sucks for connections to Europe except for the 11PM flight to CDG.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDQBound
ATL-SDQ has been around for a long time, it was the first DL route to SDQ and started in 2006 I believe. (the first route to the DR was JFK-STI back in 2005) and then started JFK-SDQ late in 2006. The flight is very friendly for connections to South America since it leaves ATL mid-morning and arrives back in ATL around 5 PM, but sucks for connections to Europe except for the 11PM flight to CDG.
maybe I didn't notice it before, but seems to be popping up a lot when I search for flights in Sept and October.

I really wish there was a SJU > SDQ flight.

I can't even book it with connections unless I do multi city.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.