Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Preboarders Sitting in Emergency Exit Rows

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Preboarders Sitting in Emergency Exit Rows

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C W
Well said ^

The result of this statement is that the possible rate of passenger movement through the exit row must be much faster than through the other rows.
In addition, if the occupants of the emergency exit row seats follow the directions, they will place the "door" which is the emergency window exit onto the seats rather than tossing it out the window and away from the aircraft.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by C W
This could get OMNI very fast, but it seems that the government dictating what is available in the market is far more fundamentally communist...
No. The government currently regulates all sorts of things in the air travel market and most (if not all) other markets, and I think this country and this industry are a long, long way off from being communist and regulation on pitch size would hardly put us there. smh, this is like a FT red scare.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:10 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
No. The government currently regulates all sorts of things in the air travel market and most (if not all) other markets, and I think this country and this industry are a long, long way off from being communist and regulation on pitch size would hardly put us there. smh, this is like a FT red scare.
I agree with you and don't think that it is communist, I was only responding to MSPeconomist's comment in a relative sense.

Honestly I don't think discussing whether it is or isn't communist has any merit and would be happier to stick to the real substance of the matter. I probably should never have responded at all in hindsight.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by C W
I don't think that it is communist, I was only responding to MSPeconomist's comment in a relative sense.

Honestly I don't think discussing whether it is or isn't communist has any merit and would be happier to stick to the real substance of the matter. I probably should never have responded at all in hindsight.
agreed.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by justhere
What makes you think that able-bodied passengers don't hold up other exiting passengers as much as, or sometimes more, than someone that preboarded? It's very demeaning and somewhat myopic to do what you suggest.
Really???????

These people need extra time to board but they can de-board with everyone else, don't be so naïve.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Sorry for the diversion, but I was just making a tongue in cheek response to the suggestion that it would be "democratic" to force airlines to offer more space at cheap fares for customers who need it.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 9:23 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Sorry for the diversion, but I was just making a tongue in cheek response to the suggestion that it would be "democratic" to force airlines to offer more space at cheap fares for customers who need it.
I reread what I posted and see how you drew that conclusion. It was not my intention and was poorly worded on my part. I should have used egalitarian in place of democratic, the point was essentially that airline comfort is a commodity not an entitlement.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by The smallest state
Really???????

These people need extra time to board but they can de-board with everyone else, don't be so naïve.
Ah yes, naivete. It's appears the shoe fits. Here's the thing, not everyone that preboards does so because they are slow. There are many reasons why someone might preboard.

Even if we are just to consider people who are slow, they generally sit in the first few rows. So why should someone in the first few rows just sit there like the second class citizen you believe them to be while someone in row 12 is holding everyone else up getting their bag out of the overhead, their other bag from under the seat, etc?

I would think it's just common courtesy to minimize the impact to fellow passengers. So if you are slow to disembark, regardless of able body or not, you should let others off first. I agree with that. However, there is no reason to punish someone because they are disabled and make them wait just because.

Additionally, what about if an able bodied person is sitting in the middle and window seat? Now they have to wait too because the preboarder is sitting in the aisle seat and because they are "slow", if they get out of their seat to let the other two passengers out, they are holding up the other passengers waiting to get off.

Maybe rethink that whole "naive" thing.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In addition, if the occupants of the emergency exit row seats follow the directions, they will place the "door" which is the emergency window exit onto the seats rather than tossing it out the window and away from the aircraft.
That is not how it is done for at least some of the regional jet fleet.

David
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA, AS, AV, B6, DL, F9, WN
Originally Posted by ecaarch
Years ago, when dating a DL employee, I first heard the term "Delta Miracle Flight". He told me that LGA-FLL flights would regularly board with 25 or 30 wheelchair passengers, yet when the plane arrived at FLL, every passenger walked off the plane. I am sure that most airline employees have many similar stories to share.
I have travelled often with someone who is legally allowed to pre-board. I have even used it myself after an injury on both domestic and international flights. Each passenger requesting to pre-board normally gets a form listing the regulations for pre-boarding. One clearly states that exit rows are off limits.

I must also point out that some airlines and airports require all wheel chair users to board and exit the plane in a chair. Others, however, do not. When I injured my knee during a trip, I needed to use a chair on the flight home with two connections. After each flight landed, I normally walked to get off the plane and only used the chair in the airport because the distance between gates was long. Please remember some people with disabilities can walk on flat ground but cannot use stairs or uneven ramps. Moreover, their disability may not be noticeable to the public, but that doesn't mean the people are lying nor faking.

Having said all that, I, too, have seen perfectly healthy people scam their way on the plane first. That really makes me angry because truly disabled persons suffer due to the actions of dishonest people.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by DiverDave
That is not how it is done for at least some of the regional jet fleet.

David
However, I remember during the road warrior training at the DL ATL DO, there was some emphasis on putting the door on the seat and not just tossing it away from the aircraft. Our instructor speculated that this was to avoid damage to the door rather than concern that it would be in the way and perhaps impede deployment of the slide from another door (window exits are overwing and don't have slides on any aircraft type AFAIK) or block passengers from getting away from the aircraft after exiting, but I wasn't convinced.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat, Hyatt Refugeeist, Marriot Gold, Air Canada Cattle Class, Korean Air Morning Plat
Originally Posted by justhere
I would think it's just common courtesy to minimize the impact to fellow passengers. .
I kind of think common courtesy extends to the people who need a little more time as well.

Originally Posted by Open Jaw
Having said all that, I, too, have seen perfectly healthy people scam their way on the plane first. That really makes me angry because truly disabled persons suffer due to the actions of dishonest people.
This is exactly what I am implying. If you get on first, you should get off last. If you need a little extra time to get on, then getting off should be the same, remain seated until everyone is off and then you can gather your things. I am ticked at the scammers, not the people who are elderly, injured or with a medical condition.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
I kind of think common courtesy extends to the people who need a little more time as well.
That's what I said. And it goes both ways. Be courteous and understand that just because someone is disabled, they shouldn't have to be degraded and singled out and be "last off".

This is exactly what I am implying. If you get on first, you should get off last. If you need a little extra time to get on, then getting off should be the same, remain seated until everyone is off and then you can gather your things. I am ticked at the scammers, not the people who are elderly, injured or with a medical condition.
Why? I sometimes travel with someone who needs extra time to get on. They will sit in the first three rows of coach in an aisle seat depending on what is available. We always let those around us get off before us but we are considerate of anyone else in the same row and their need to exit the plane in a timely manner.

Once a row or two behind us has emptied out there is always an able-bodied person who was sitting in a window seat taking their time getting their bag out of the overhead. That creates enough of a gap for us to allow anyone else in our row out and for us to exit the plane without holding up anyone else.

The fact that you don't see that and think that someone who needed extra time to board should just sit there and wait, even though no one is passing in the aisle and no one is being delayed, speaks volumes.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:16 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Consider that people who (legitimately) pre-board may need to make a connection just like everyone else, for which they also need to get to the gate earlier and pre-board again.

Scammers (whether pre-boarding, ESA, or whatever) annoy me too, but there probably isn't a good way to penalize them without adversely affecting those who really need to pre-board also. (Hmm, maybe "if you pre-board you may not put anything in the overhead bin, underseat personal items only" -- although that won't work for pre-boards who need the bulkhead seat)
Old Jun 16, 2017, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles, hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Zorak
Consider that people who (legitimately) pre-board may need to make a connection just like everyone else, for which they also need to get to the gate earlier and pre-board again.

Scammers (whether pre-boarding, ESA, or whatever) annoy me too, but there probably isn't a good way to penalize them without adversely affecting those who really need to pre-board also. (Hmm, maybe "if you pre-board you may not put anything in the overhead bin, underseat personal items only" -- although that won't work for pre-boards who need the bulkhead seat)
...or require all people wanting to preboard to get special boarding pass from front counter or GA. That way DL could be assured that "those needing additional time or assistance in boarding" were not occupying emergency exits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.