Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS Runway Construction (Summer 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by Janr
Thanks. Appreciate the chance to vent my frustration. I have an additional 5 persons in my group who are on DL 1500 ATL to BOS and that flight is not having the delay problems. If my part of the group gets routed another way it may cause some issues with connecting back with each other in BOM. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
This might be a case of HUCA. You might get a more understanding agent that's willing to reroute you.

I've got to say that DL hasn't been handling this well. The other day I was waiting for my delayed MSP-BOS flight, and I'd say half the passengers who deplaned on the incoming flight had missed their connections. That left a huge mess of people at the gate trying to get rebooked while the two gate agents were frantically trying get my already 2 hour+ delayed flight boarded and out the door.

DL had plenty of warning about the runway construction, so they could have adjusted schedules ahead of time - or at the very least increased staffing at the incoming gate to herd everyone to the dedicated rebooking area.

So far my three flights to BOS have been delayed by an average of two hours during the construction.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
BOS has been almost a total mess for weeks now. Chronic delays on flights in the afternoon, even with good weather. Now today they're running significant delays again due to 'wind'. I'm sure the mess in the JFK/LGA area with tstorms isn't helping either.

Basically, if you're flying in to BOS after 2pm (or out on any of that late equipment), expect significant delays and missed connections.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone know the actual status of the project so far? I read somewhere that the target reopening for landings is 6/23, but that was from articles over a month old. Haven't found any more recent news through google or massport's useless website.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
The latest NOTAM indicates the runway will reopen at 23:59 Eastern Time on 6/23.

Issuing Airport: (BOS) General Edward Lawrence Logan Intl

NOTAM Number: 06/111

Effective Time Frame
Beginning: Tuesday, June 6, 2017 1022 (UTC)
Ending: Saturday, June 24, 2017 0359 (UTC)

Affected Areas
Runway: 04R/22L
Operating Status: Closed
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh wonderful... so another week of massive delays in/out of BOS...

23:59 on 6/23 does nothing to help the friday weekend traffic delays. They might as well just call it Monday, and hand out lottery tickets on Friday for if your flight will be canceled or delayed by 3+ hours.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:04 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
The project is on schedule and after 6/23 there shouldn't be any construction delays.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a flight fri evening 6/23 too. Guess it'll be 2-3hrs+ late.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In case anyone is trying to fly in/out of BOS today... significant delays continue with no waivers posted. Incoming WX later this afternoon does not bode well with ground delay already in progress.

Ground Delay Program - This airport has issued a Ground Delay Program affecting flights arriving between 8:30 AM Jun 19 and 1:59 AM Jun 20 due to Runway-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION. Flights are being delayed an average of 159 minutes.

Airport Reason Avg Max Arriving (arrival airport time) Status
BOS Runway-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION 159.0 373 8:30 AM Jun 19 to 1:59 AM Jun 20 Active
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
BOS is now showing average delays of 6 hours, 17 minutes(!!) according to the FAA website. I was originally supposed to fly out today for a business trip; thank goodness that got cancelled a couple of weeks ago for business reasons.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If your work trip wasn't canceled, you probably wouldn't be getting out today anyway.

Disappointing that DL hasn't issued any waivers for BOS due to the weather today. We're worse off than the NYC airports starting right from this morning with atc delays.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ahhh yes, and BOS running more delays again already... expect it to increase throughout the rest of the day as usual.

Due to RWY-TAXI / CONSTRUCTION, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport, Boston, MA (BOS). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 1 hour and 39 minutes.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
According to what I read, June 23 is the completion date of phase 1 of the entire project. June 24 - Aug. 7: Restrictions on Runway 4R/22L daily, with no departures off Runway 22L and no arrivals on Runway 4R.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott PE
Originally Posted by RobertS975
According to what I read, June 23 is the completion date of phase 1 of the entire project. June 24 - Aug. 7: Restrictions on Runway 4R/22L daily, with no departures off Runway 22L and no arrivals on Runway 4R.
thanks for the update.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
The longer North/South RWY (4R/22L is anyone cares) is out of service for a lot of the summer, so we will be experiencing crazy delays. No Parallel Runways can land Jets, so we're in for a rough couple of months.

EDIT: Will open for Landing's ONLY from June 23rd.
SFO did their runway construction before the summer rush so why didn't BOS start their construction back in April weather pending and finish in June?

Your best bet is to fly in and out of Providence or Bradley unless you need to take an international flight.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because Massport is 'special' and they decided to do the construction at the beginning of the summer peak travel season, including graduations, memorial holiday travel, and tourisism events in BOS...

Feel free to contact them and submit complaints about the absurd timing of the closure and significant delay impact.
http://www.massport.com/about-massport/contact-us/

I've submitted a couple times, because of the ongoing chronic delays every afternoon/evening even in good weather conditions... along with asking why there is zero status info posted on the site about the progress of the project and expected reopening dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.