BOS Runway Construction (Summer 2017)

Old Jun 6, 2017, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by rylan
Check out some of the DL connection flights. DL3499 BOS-JFK delayed for 8 hours.

That must've ran into some other issue on top of the ground delay program whether crew, maintenance, etc.

I heard the morning was challenging but the afternoon and night for Tuesday wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. Fortunately it will be sunny tomorrow.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I'm a bit confused: So, when will the construction end? I have a flight from BOS-SFO coming up in late July, and I'm getting concerned..
It should be pretty ok. The runway will be opening up for landings, so that should help the traffic flow. Currently, the Landing and Departures Runways, Intersect each other, so it's one at a time. That should help clear some traffic.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:24 am
Original Poster

I Made, this. Kinda, technical, but gives Y'all and Idea of what's happening.

https://flic.kr/p/Vva9Hb
Old Jun 7, 2017, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
When you get low ceilings and wind in the wrong direction, they started using 15R for arrivals... and you get huge delays as everybody has to fly north and loop back around to land to the southeast.

I think they've been using 33L for arrivals primarily over the past few weeks.

Last edited by rylan; Jun 7, 2017 at 11:00 am
Old Jun 7, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: DL PM
Has anyone been affected on an international flight out of BOS yet?

flew into BOS from DTW Monday AM without major delay (landed 10mins early). Visibility was awful at the time and ATC did have us enter a short holding pattern to sequence for landing.

Flying out of BOS to AMS on Sunday evening. Have a relatively tight connection so hope I'm not delayed!
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

When you get low ceilings and wind in the wrong direction, they started using 15R for arrivals... and you get huge delays as everybody has to fly north and loop back around to land to the southeast.

I think they've been using 33L for arrivals primarily over the past few weeks.
I've seen mainly 27, but I only really look during peak times. 33L usually takeoffs and few L/H landings, but mainly departures during main traffic time.

Last edited by BostonPlanesAndTrains; Jun 7, 2017 at 3:39 pm
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I'm a bit confused: So, when will the construction end? I have a flight from BOS-SFO coming up in late July, and I'm getting concerned..
From MASSPORT:
The project will begin in mid-May and run through November of this year. During that time, Runway 4R-22L will be closed for approximately 40 days from May 15th through late June, which will allow for critical work to be done.
After the initial closure, work will continue from late June to early August between 10:00PM and 2:00PM, with Runway 22L available for arrivals only. Both runway ends will be available for arrivals and departures during the busier late afternoon/evening period. The goal is for the entire project, including the light pier work, to be completed no later than November 1. Subject to wind and weather, communities may experience changes in runways in use during the period of construction.
https://www.massport.com/news-room/n...r-runway-work/

Hopefully the big disruption will be over by late June.

The construction itself only seems to causing minor delays. But throw in just a little bit of weather, and the whole thing backs way up.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
I've seen mainly 27, but I only really look during peak times. 33L usually takes a few L/H landings, but mainly departures during main traffic time.
My neighbors are certainly complaining more about the noise from the additional 33L departures. But I like it - my office has a great view of the 33L take-off path.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 6:59 pm

Anyone know why DL 980 from ATL to BOS has been very late every day this week? Suppose to land at 5:45 but has not gotten into BOS before 7 this week. I have a connection going to CDG that leaves at 7:00. Would have missed it every time. Delta says only way they will change my ticket is if I pay the difference in the fare from when I booked to what it is now. They'll wave the change fee. I'm in business and purchased my ticket for $3200 for ATL to BOM. Now they want $9000. Agent says only way to get around it is to wait to Tuesday when I check in to leave. Have 5 additional passengers in my group in economy. Worried that they won't be able to accommodate all of us to make sure we make the international connection. If anyone has a suggestion on how to accomplish the change before the day of travel, I would to here it. Thanks.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you looked in the thread at all, that should answer your question. Runway construction with weather = lots of delays.

Watch your flight, if there is any delay you can proactively call and get changed to an earlier one. Unfortunately since there aren't any travel alerts or waivers, its unlikely they will do anything before/until there is an actual delay posted.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
If you looked in the thread at all, that should answer your question. Runway construction with weather = lots of delays.

Watch your flight, if there is any delay you can proactively call and get changed to an earlier one. Unfortunately since there aren't any travel alerts or waivers, its unlikely they will do anything before/until there is an actual delay posted.
There a lot of ways to BOM from ATL. If you're flight takes a delay, ask to be rerouted from ATL to CDG directly.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:16 am

Thanks. Appreciate the chance to vent my frustration. I have an additional 5 persons in my group who are on DL 1500 ATL to BOS and that flight is not having the delay problems. If my part of the group gets routed another way it may cause some issues with connecting back with each other in BOM. Guess I'll have to wait and see.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really all depends on the weather. If it isn't sunny and light winds, then flights arriving particularly in the afternoon will get delayed. Lots of clouds and rain and its a mess. The big question is how far ahead of the flight will they post the delay, so that you can catch the earlier one if necessary.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, SPG Platinum
This is actually good news for me. I live in Beachmont, on the approach path to 22R. When landing on 22R, they're right over my house at 1500 feet.

So far this summer, I've had no early morning landings. It's been rather peaceful. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE watching the planes land from my back deck. But this has been kind of nice.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Janr
Anyone know why DL 980 from ATL to BOS has been very late every day this week? Suppose to land at 5:45 but has not gotten into BOS before 7 this week. I have a connection going to CDG that leaves at 7:00. Would have missed it every time. Delta says only way they will change my ticket is if I pay the difference in the fare from when I booked to what it is now. They'll wave the change fee. I'm in business and purchased my ticket for $3200 for ATL to BOM. Now they want $9000. Agent says only way to get around it is to wait to Tuesday when I check in to leave. Have 5 additional passengers in my group in economy. Worried that they won't be able to accommodate all of us to make sure we make the international connection. If anyone has a suggestion on how to accomplish the change before the day of travel, I would to here it. Thanks.
I've called up two or three days before an itinerary where the first leg had been chronically delayed and would have caused me to miss the connection, with poor rebooking choices once I landed. Pointed out that there was almost no way to make the connection and there would be a significant delay should I miss it, and they changed it no problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.