Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed For DL Newbie

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2017, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Advice Needed For DL Newbie

Hi all

Long time BA / AA transatlantic flyer in J, OneWorld Sapphire. But I'm seeing some incredible fares ex DUB with DL, usually on KL / AF codes. I'm looking at LAS which operates via ATL on A333 or JFK on 764

My questions are, is the A330 or 764 better in business? What about the domestic legs, JFK-LAS or ATL-LAS? And what is DL like transatlantic in comparison to BA & AA?

Thanks!
Old May 26, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
The A330 has the better seat. Think what AA has installed for FC on the A321T, but with a bit more padding.

D1 is much better then BA or AA J. Better food, better service, etc. The Delta lounges are also much nicer then AA. Actual food, better alcohol, (though have to pay for the top stuff). I fly both OW and ST. I much prefer DO over AA/BA.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:01 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Domestic Portion

ATL-LAS will have a mix of 738's, 739's, and 757's. People generally don't like the F seats in the 739's so i try to normally stay away.
JFK-LAS is mostly 738's and 757's. I find them all to be similar TBH so take your pick.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if you're not time-constrained, go via JFK and do a Same-Day-Confirmed (SDC) after clearing Customs & Immigration ... $75 (presuming you don't have status with DL or FlyingBlue) to change JFK-LAS to JFK-LAX-LAS; take advantage of the Delta One service on the long TCON leg
Old May 26, 2017, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jrl767
if you're not time-constrained, go via JFK and do a Same-Day-Confirmed (SDC) after clearing Customs & Immigration ... $75 (presuming you don't have status with DL or FlyingBlue) to change JFK-LAS to JFK-LAX-LAS; take advantage of the Delta One service on the long TCON leg
SDC is only possible after all int'l segments have been flown. If OP is originating and then returning to DUB, this isn't likely going to be an option.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
SDC is only possible after all int'l segments have been flown. If OP is originating and then returning to DUB, this isn't likely going to be an option.
yah, good catch, should have mentioned that
Old May 26, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Intl is usually trickier with this then domestic, but if you can book it for the same price as two one-ways vs a round trip, then the domestic segment on the inbound is the last leg.
Old May 27, 2017, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
Hi all

Long time BA / AA transatlantic flyer in J, OneWorld Sapphire. But I'm seeing some incredible fares ex DUB with DL, usually on KL / AF codes. I'm looking at LAS which operates via ATL on A333 or JFK on 764

My questions are, is the A330 or 764 better in business? What about the domestic legs, JFK-LAS or ATL-LAS? And what is DL like transatlantic in comparison to BA & AA?

Thanks!
Not to steer you one way or the other but one advantage with BA is you can take a short hop to LHR then get the long haul on BA to LAS, which is a longer flight in the premium cabin than DUB-JFK would be. On DL, you will get the TATL leg in D1 to JFK or ATL (JFK-DUB is one of the shortest hops, and going eastbound will provide little to no time for any sleep). Additionally, the ATL/JFK-LAS leg will still be 4-5 hours in US domestic FC which is going to be better in most ways than European J class but far less superior than TATL J service. I would also look at what time you'll get into LAS and have to depart LAS to make the TATL flights from JFK or ATL. BA's LAS-LHR probably arrives earlier than you would routing via JFK or ATL and to make your ATL/JFK-DUB TATL flight you're looking at an early to mid morning departure from LAS versus an afternoon/evening departure on BA (though the DL option may provide an earlier arrival into DUB than routing via LHR).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.