Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lounge Access; help me wrap my head around this

Lounge Access; help me wrap my head around this

Old May 26, 2017, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
IAD just isn't great at all as a base for a Skyteam frequent flyer. There's a reason United gets by with its ancient shabby terminal there: most IAD heavy users will stick with them regardless.
While bearing little relevance on why I stay away from UA, their terminal at IAD is one of the most depressing I've ever been through.

Originally Posted by EditingFX
So we got a TD, a producer and an editor in this thread. Just need some camerafolk...
...and something to shoot otherwise I'm pretty sure the rest of the world would call that gathering a party.

Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
That sounds to me like a good deal and removes the need to worry about hitting the spend for the bonus. A consideration to be weighed is, what's the value of the bonus to the OP, and how does that weigh against the $950 value of the Ameriprise signup features?

When I saw the Ameriprise link, I almost signed up myself but then reminded myself, I'm not a frequent flyer anymore so what on earth is the point?
The MR bonus is negligible for my purposes. Thanks @hi55us for pointing out that offer. I will head over to that thread and inquire about the terms and conditions. While I can't argue with passing up a free year of Skyclub/PP Select membership, those benefits are only listed in the fine print and not on the main page. I wouldn't want to apply for a card only to find out it wasn't what I thought it was.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Go with AMEX Plat. Also depending on your destinations, if you get decent UG as plat then I would hold short of DM and explore other airlines.

SkyPeso are SkyZWD now. I mean DL is still better IMHO, just the FFP isn't what it used to be.
Old May 27, 2017, 7:40 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
A point on the Amex Platinum Charge card -- the annual fee is going up to $550 (from $450). They are also adding a $15/month Uber credit ($30 in December). If you use Uber it can be worthwhile. If you don't then it makes the card that much more expensive (especially as you need to keep the DL Plax Amex for the MQD waiver). The Delta Reserve may be a better deal -- though you get the MQD waiver at $25K spend you don't get the MQM boost until $30K spend (but I think you get 15K MQM instead of 10K)
the problem is that the Reserve doesn't get him into the priority pass lounges, which will be a big deal for an IAD-based flyer.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
There are many cards that offer PP. Many with excellent signup bonuses, even if you only keep the card for one year.

That would be my choice if you wanted PP.
Old May 27, 2017, 9:26 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
As a Delta flyer with a need for PP, I think the Amex Platinum is the clear choice. Even though there isn't a SkyClub at your home airport, you will use the access feature a lot when flying Delta.

If one really uses some of the additional features of the Plat such as the hotel status, rental car statuses, concierge, and Boingo subscription the value can be phenomenal.
Old May 27, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by pvn
the problem is that the Reserve doesn't get him into the priority pass lounges, which will be a big deal for an IAD-based flyer.
Good point, forgot about IAD. Though $550 + $195 (Amex Plat + Amex DL Plat) is starting add up on annual fees if you don't get value from the all that is offered.

Personally, I don't actually use the lounge a lot at LAX (my home airport) -- grab a cup of coffee if I have time. I'm usually there for a morning flight and too early (for me) to have a drink or beer. I live close enough to the airport that I am usually notified of significant delays before I leave home. But not everybody is that way.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
A point on the Amex Platinum Charge card -- the annual fee is going up to $550 (from $450). They are also adding a $15/month Uber credit ($30 in December). If you use Uber it can be worthwhile. If you don't then it makes the card that much more expensive (especially as you need to keep the DL Plax Amex for the MQD waiver). The Delta Reserve may be a better deal -- though you get the MQD waiver at $25K spend you don't get the MQM boost until $30K spend (but I think you get 15K MQM instead of 10K)
Indeed, the Reserve card gives 15,000 MQMs at $30,000 spend, up to twice a year.

It might be cost effective for some people to change the DL AmEx Plat card to a Reserve card and buy the cheapest PP membership as a backup. IIRC any AmEx card entitles you to purchase access at the door to the Centurion lounges but not perhaps not the Escape lounges.
Old May 27, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by EditingFX
So we got a TD, a producer and an editor in this thread. Just need some camerafolk...
There's also a brewer to add some fun here.
Old May 27, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

It might be cost effective for some people to change the DL AmEx Plat card to a Reserve card and buy the cheapest PP membership as a backup. IIRC any AmEx card entitles you to purchase access at the door to the Centurion lounges but not perhaps not the Escape lounges.
Or be an authorized user of the many many cards that gives PP too, if that is all what OP needs
Old May 28, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets
Or be an authorized user of the many many cards that gives PP too, if that is all what OP needs
AFAIK PP doesn't get one into the Centurion lounges; you either get access for free with certain AmEx cards or you can purchase access with an AmEx card.

Moreover, currently the regular AmEx Plat card is good for all of the Escape lounges. As of a week or so ago, Escape at MSP accepted PP but BDL and several other locations did not.

For the OP, perhaps the DTW connections are the hardest to cover with lounge access as the only lounges in the terminal DL uses are all SCs. OP either needs a means to access DL SCs when flying DL or must pay per entry at the DTW SCs, which seems to be possible, at least if one has a DL AmEx credit card.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For the OP, perhaps the DTW connections are the hardest to cover with lounge access as the only lounges in the terminal DL uses are all SCs. OP either needs a means to access DL SCs when flying DL or must pay per entry at the DTW SCs, which seems to be possible, at least if one has a DL AmEx credit card.
For this reason alone I'm leaning toward either the unbranded Amex Plat Business card or giving it a run for a year with the aforementioned personal Ameritrade Amex Plat and keeping my personal DL Amex Plat for the MQM bonus. Lounge access alone with the unbranded Amex Plat is really hard to argue with. Almost a no-brainer.
Old May 28, 2017, 12:59 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by tvtd
For this reason alone I'm leaning toward either the unbranded Amex Plat Business card or giving it a run for a year with the aforementioned personal Ameritrade Amex Plat and keeping my personal DL Amex Plat for the MQM bonus. Lounge access alone with the unbranded Amex Plat is really hard to argue with. Almost a no-brainer.
When comparing personal vs. business Platinum remember that the business does not earn 5x on flights unless booked through Amex Travel. The personal earns 5x on flights booked directly with airlines, so if you like booking directly with Delta that is a big reason to go with the personal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.